1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

EU Rookie Racing - Silhouettes@Nürburgring - Sunday 17th July 2016

Discussion in 'R3E Racing Club & Leagues' started by Lars Hansen, Jul 11, 2016.

1. Lars Hansen

Lars Hansen
    RDs Ion-Engine....0-60 in six days. Staff Premium Member

It's that time of year again, so we're doing another training run for those who are just starting out.

For those unfamiliar with the concept, the Rookie Racing offerings are where the R3E Club gives those who may need it, a brief introduction to some of the basic principles in sim-racing.
    It is NOT going to make you into an alien. :)
    We are simply going to give you a basic foundation that you can then start to build on.

So how does this differ from the RD Driver Academy?
    Well, first of all, this isn't an official RD offering. This is simply some of the R3E Club members giving back to the community.
    Second, the Driver Academy is better. Make no mistake, the guys who run the Academy sessions are very good, and have a lot more experience with this than I do.
    That said, if you're slower than me to begin with, I'm reasonably certain that I can help you improve.
    And besides, joining the Rookie Racing does not exclude you from joining the Academy later on.
    They are two separate entities.

Who can join?
    In theory, if you're a Premium member you're more than welcome to join in.
    However, if you're already faster than I am, I probably can't teach you very much.
    So with that in mind, I have an entry on the Leaderboard using the Canhard R51.
    If you can comfortably beat or equal that, you won't get much out of the session.
    Finally, for these sessions (and for the Academy for that matter) TeamSpeak will be mandatory.
    There is no way this sort of thing can be done without TS.

How does it work?
    Simple, really. We'll be taking the Silhouettes out on Nürburgring in a straight practice session.
    We'll start off with just doing some laps. They don't have to be fast, we just need a baseline so we can see how much (or if) people improve.
    After that it'll be an open session where we vary between doing laps, and doing 'ride-alongs' (that is, looking through an instructors car while he drives).
    Some of the things we'll be covering are; Racing line, proper braking and braking points, rev-management, and power-control. If anything else crops up I'll see if I can answer it.
    And obviously, if you have something else you want covered, feel free to speak up.
    So why Silhouettes at Nürburgring?
    Nürburgring is a very good practice-track simply because it has just about every kind of corner that you're liable to run into. Short technical turns, hairpins, long sweepers, chicanes, you name it.
    The Silhouettes are a good stepping-stone for the more powerful cars.
    They're RWD, and while they can be a little tricky, they won't instantly spin if you make a mistake.
    Everybody will be limited to the Canhard R51, just to ensure we all drive the same car.
    The reason for picking that particular one is that it is the only Silhouette that is naturally aspirated, and it is a bit easier to control than the turbos.
    And here's a very important bit.
    You cannot change the set-up in any way!
    It is fairly important that we all drive the same car, and unless you know what you're doing it is very easy to tweak a set-up into something undrivable.
    So default set-up only. And yes, that goes for brake-power too.

Join us
    Not a premium member yet but interested to race with our group of friendly drivers? Click here for more information and learn how you can participate as well. See you on track?!

Server and Teamspeak Password: click here
    Racing Club Rules: click here

Server Name:
    Cars: Silhouettes (Canhard R51)
    Track: Nürburgring GP layout

Practice: 1400GMT (120 minutes)

Entry List
    1. Metalogic
    2. Psynusoid
    3. Free slot
    4. Free slot
    5. Free slot
    6. Free slot
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2016
    • Love Love x 3
  2. Metalogic

Premium Member

Count me in please!
  3. psynusoid

Premium Member

Count me in.
  4. Metalogic

Premium Member

Looking forward to this, though am a little hungover! :rolleyes:

@Lars Hansen - unlike last time I drove with you I now have a wheel (T300 + Leather 28 GT rim + Fanatec CSR Elite pedals), though have only had it for two days, so am still getting used to it and still experimenting with FFB settings etc. it's much more fun than using a gamepad, though!
  5. Lars Hansen

Lars Hansen
    RDs Ion-Engine....0-60 in six days. Staff Premium Member

You went from a gamepad to Fanatec? :D
    Talk about cutting out the middle-man. :p
  6. Metalogic

Premium Member

Got the pedals for £80 used off eBay :)
    • Like Like x 2
  7. psynusoid

Premium Member

That was actually a really useful exercise.
    Big thanks to Lars and Mr.C
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Metalogic

Premium Member

Yes, thanks again guys!
    • Agree Agree x 1