Rookie races; Judging interest

Lars Hansen

Buggered if I know.....
One of the reasons I applied for the staff was to see if I could get some 'beginner' races established.
But it makes little sense to go through the motions if nobody is interested. :)

So here's the pitch:
I am TENTATIVELY (meaning don't hang me if it gets changed/postponed) looking at doing it the last Sunday of every month, probably about noonish GMT so it doesn't interfere with the evening race.
The format will be a long (30-40mins) practice period, 10mins race, followed by another practice, and a final race.
The reason for the short race, and no qualifying is very simple.
The race isn't the aim of the exercise.

What I would like to achieve is to provide a 'safe' environment for people to get used to MP racing without having to worry about getting in the way of more competitive drivers.
And as such, even though we'll be running 'Get Real' physics, tire-wear will be off, as will damage so you can bounce off the walls to your hearts content.
It'll also be a way to demonstrate the do's and don'ts of being lapped, so maybe people can get over the "oh-god-i'm-about-to-be-lapped-what-do-I-do" panic. ;)

Furthermore for those who want it, I'll do a 'drive-along' of the track and if anybody wants it I'll be happy to jump in their car and see if I can help them improve.
Please understand that I can't make you an alien.
To do so would require me being one in the first place. :)
Nor will this be a fully-fledged Driver Academy. I simply don't have enough experience to claim any such thing.
But assuming that you're slower than me to start with, I'm reasonably sure I can help you improve.

The second practice is meant to discuss what went right or wrong in the first race, and what we should focus on in the second race.
Basically, it'll be a free-for-all where people can ask for whatever topic to be covered.

The above does mean that there will be two limitations.
1) We have to limit the number of drivers to a handful, maybe 8 tops.
2) TeamSpeak will absolutely be mandatory. There is simply no way this can be done through text.

So that's the basis of the idea.
The first one is planned (TENTATIVELY :D ) to go off on Sunday Feb 28th, and if it's a success we'll repeat it once a month.
The first one will be using all-free content (Silhouettes@Raceway), but if people want other stuff I'm happy to find a way to do it.
The reason for choosing the Silhouettes is that they have both TC and ABS, so though they're RWD they are fairly sedate.
A future option would be to use the Audi TTs, or maybe do a 'warm-up' using the same car/track combo as the following evening race.
But that's for future contemplation.
Right now I'm more interested in whether there's actual.....er.....well, interest. ;)

So does anybody want this?
Is Sunday okay, or do we find another date/time?
Do we keep the Silhouettes, or are people more into something else?
Would people prefer 'warm-up' sessions, or do we keep them separate from the Club races?
Ideas and questions happily received.
This is YOUR club guys, so if there's something you want, speak up. :)

Last edited:
I would definitely be very keen. Ive never ventured online as everyone is just far better and i just feel i get in the way. Only ever do the novice competitions as well.
@MentalTM Go Premium mate - worth every penny!
Keith he already has:)
MentalTM, firstly as to pace there's a reason for my signature:whistling: secondly we are a very friendly group but I understand your reluctance to jump in, @Lars Hansen will be doing another one soon but as a stopgap why not join us one night during practice, make sure you have teamspeak and honestly most of the guys will be happy to try and help you. The server for the next race is usually up the day before and you will often find our guys on it just ask they really are a great bunch and are more than willing help anyone out. Remember we benefit by having more people on the grid.:)

Keith he already has:)
MentalTM, firstly as to pace there's a reason for my signature:whistling: secondly we are a very friendly group but I understand your reluctance to jump in, @Lars Hansen will be doing another one soon but as a stopgap why not join us one night during practice, make sure you have teamspeak and honestly most of the guys will be happy to try and help you. The server for the next race is usually up the day before and you will often find our guys on it just ask they really are a great bunch and are more than willing help anyone out. Remember we benefit by having more people on the grid.:)
Many thanks, I will do. I will dust down the old Driving force GT wheel and get things setup.Aiming to be on this weekend so hopefully catch some of you then!

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back