1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Romain Grosjean: Stay or Go?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by RaceDepartment, Jul 29, 2013.

1. RaceDepartment

Administrator Staff

View the Post on the Blog
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 1, 2013
  2. At one point I did feel for him, that move on Massa took balls... Then again bumping into JB was daft. He is making far to many mistakes in races and Lotus can't be expected to keep him on.
  3. Bram

Roaring Pipes Maniacs | #27 Staff Premium Member

I would say stay. The guy certainly has raw speed. If Lotus can manage him to become more consistent he might be able to make the next step.

On the other hand, Hulkenberg is an exceptional talent and absolutely deserves a spot in one of the top teams. If I were RBR I wouldn't hesitate a second who to take to replace Webber.
  4. He must stay. One of the fastest current drivers in terms of raw speed. I really think 2014 will be his breakthrough year, where he will be more consistent, and more alert.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Loz Reid

Loz Reid
    Premium Member

One more year maybe...

I think he should sign up to RD and learn some racecraft over the winter :)
    • Like Like x 2
  6. Andrew Ford

Andrew Ford
    Premium Member

i think hulkenburg will be more consistent. i think grosjean can win races and was very unlucky yesterday. two really good races for him in my opinion.

from memory, i think hulkenberg has an impressive C.V prior to f1. He's a winner. He should have pushed himself harder ...he has the talent.a problem may be that renault would surely value a french driver ?
  7. Nox

Staff Premium Member

I think he's really fast, but it doesn't matter how fast you are if you constantly lose places and get penalties because of causing incidents. If he can stop getting into silly incidents, I'd like to see him stay. If by the end of the season nothing has changed in that regard, I'd say it's time to find a replacement.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Yes he is fast, is raw.....but he is losing points for his team, how long will they stick by him?
  9. Chris Stacey

Chris Stacey
    Ted Kravitz Appreciation Society Staff Premium Member

You can't teach fast. But you can manage his mistake rate and descision making skills.
  10. His accident with Button was just a lack of concentration, but he's been driving in Formula One long enough, I mean he's not a rookie anymore. These accidents are just careless but of course he can improve on his race craft and I really hope he does. It would be a shame not to see him in F1 next year.
  11. Andrew Ford

Andrew Ford
    Premium Member

I think he,s too fast not to be in f1. I have to question whether he deserves to still be at lotus.
  12. Stay. He has raw speed and just lacks a bit of experience and probably some self-confidence after last year.
  13. Actuallym only his license is French. He's Swiss actually.

I still remember Spa last year. After the start mayhem, a French journalist said(probably to a Swiss one): "You can have him back".

Typical FrenchxD
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Andrew Ford

Andrew Ford
    Premium Member

Lol the French will no doubt still claim him if he wins and he always has a French flag near his name.
  15. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_24_Hours_of_Le_Mans

Funnily enough, if you look at the Flag next to his name, he suddenly was Swiss again.

Confusing enough?

And he has a French license because he gets more support from France than from Switzerland(race ban, remember? Nobody cares enough here?). Last but not least, he's sponsored by Total. He wouldn't be if he was taking part as a Swiss I'd guess.
  16. Loz Reid

Loz Reid
    Premium Member

he appeared to make a good move on massa (shame about the line) but one does wonder if massa and other drivers are less aggressive when he is near in fear of a collision?
  17. Aidan Keranen

Aidan Keranen
    #4 2KF1 Racing RDGPC|LoL/RL Caster@AussieGamingTV Premium Member

I will cry if he goes.
    But seriously I feel he has the race in him to be able to win, just whether that is within the next year or not. If he can win a race, or at least more podiums, I think he'll be a good choice still.
  18. We tend to sometimes forget that these guys are not on a normal drive...they're actually racing.
    You can fault Grosjean for a lot of things, this weekend...not so much. Even Massa went on record and said that the penalty was not warranted.
    I thought the penalty...given the circumstances, was a really bad call.
    Some may say he could have left it until later.
    That's not how racers think.
    We go for any gap that presents itself and at any place we think we can pull it off... without going off in a ball of smoke and fire.
  19. Massa: “If he took the penalty because of what he did with me, that’s completely wrong,”

I guess Massa knows better than anyone here...
  20. Stay!

I like Grosjean, yes he's a bit of a loose cannon but I think Lotus can help him to be more consistent.

Future champion? Possibly..