Rolling starts (dedicated server)

Bram

Founder & Administrator
Staff
Premium
Isn't it time that the rolling start procedure which is bugged since the release of RACE 07 gets fixed?

After 1 1/2 years either fix it or remove it entirely. :bad: Just ran a test server and it's an absolutely disgrace that it still doesnt work like it should. We are forcing standing starts now for too long.

Couldn't agree more. We had yet another major League style race at Monza (Oceania Inter-Club Challenge) ruined by the usual first lap, first chicane train wreck. A two hour enduro destroyed after about 10 seconds for more than half the field.Never would have happened with a descent rolling start.

While they are at it, maybe Simbin could do something about the excessive disconnections and game freezing that seem to plague GTRE. I've hardly seen any of this stuff ruining GTL, says a lot about the "modern" sims. :mad-tongue:

• daRock

While they are at it, maybe Simbin could do something about the excessive disconnections and game freezing that seem to plague GTRE. I've hardly seen any of this stuff ruining GTL, says a lot about the "modern" sims. :mad-tongue:

Says more about the modern Simbin.

• daRock

What are you guys calling the Rolling Start Bug?

I use it all the time in the offline install of Evo simply because the AI seem to need it and don't do the inhuman instant reflexes start. They also stack up less at T1. Not a lot less, but enough that there is a definite improvement (decrease) in the number of pileups caused by their lack of speed. They take off instantly and then never really accelerate. I'd call that the bug.

What are you guys calling the Rolling Start Bug?
When the dedi server admin sets up a room a standing start box can be marked. When marked both race 1 and 2 are a forced standing start. By default the game has a rolling start build in for race 1 but that can't be used because it's bugged since release day.
Yesterday i stood on pole position at Brands Hatch and before the AI crosses the line and gives you back manual control 5 cars from the left lane had passed me already. On other tracks the AI wrecks eachother and then gives you back control with a car damage and even worse off track.
Since RACE is the simulation of the official WTCC you might expect this to be fixed by now, or completely removed...

• daRock

Yesterday i stood on pole position at Brands Hatch and before the AI crosses the line and gives you back manual control 5 cars from the left lane had passed me already. ..

Sorry, but that isn't clear to me.

Are you saying you were running against AI online in a dedicated server?

Are you saying that although you were the 1st to cross the s/f line (which would happen because you were on the poll), you didn't get manual control until 5 AI had pulled out and passed you?

• daRock

The wrong gear for some cars is the only thing I've ever seen from the rolling start.

Right after reading Bram's post (the #5 one that described being passed by the AI) I tried to duplicate it. I've got the AI pumped and the way the qualify, I've only been on the front row a couple of times. So I adjusted the AI strength down until I wound up on the pole. Ran the start over a couple of times at a couple of Simbin original to Evo tracks and a couple of conversion tracks. Only glitch was the wrong gear. The AI never jumped the start and it always started with my car hitting the s/f line.

I got no idea what the bug is.

Dedicated server!! :) The AI takes over the cars (clients) before the start and you are given manual control once you cross the S/F line. By then the whole field is messed up position wise :)

There is a safety car already in the game. But it is totally useless because the only thing it does is standing in the pitlane all day eating FPS

Ive tried a few rolling starts over time, I can say sometimes it works some time it does not. But I do agree that no matter what your always in the wrong gear for the speed your traveling.

Some work has to be done becuase it could be a nice feature if it worked.

There is a safety car already in the game. But it is totally useless because the only thing it does is standing in the pitlane all day eating FPS

eating FPS is nothing compared to the safety car at Valkenswaard, if you didnt leave the pits pretty sharpish it would attack you :silly:

GRAB_044.jpg

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 78 7.0%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 122 10.9%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 164 14.6%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 309 27.6%
  • 100% offline racing