Rock, Paper, Scissors Tournament - Season 23

Status
Not open for further replies.
Results
Round 18 Results.jpg

Macedonia v Jordan: Determined to keep their playoff card from being deleted, Jordan came after Macedonia with full attack. They should have brought full caution, however, as Macedonia starts the game with 2 goals in the first half. Jordan, however, comes out of the locker room with cooler heads and manage to tie it up and keep themselves (barely) still in contention.
Macau v Kyrgyzstan: The Kyrgyz strike first and early to take a 1-0 lead all the way to the 82nd minute, when the Greens finally manage to strike back. Macau keeping themselves in contention, but 3 consecutive draws aren't helping their chances much.
Benin v Liberia: Benin's fabulous 10-game scoring streak ended in Round 17, and Liberia took early advantage of their depressed mood. A 1-0 lead at the half turned to 2-0 at the 57th minute. Liberia holds on against a frantic rally.
Vietnam v Brazil: Winning only 1 of their last 5, Vietnam look to revive from their slump. Brazil, however, not the likely team to let that happen. Brazil take a 1-0 lead to the half, but Vietnam pull even with just 10 minutes left in the match. Brazil, needing a win to nudge ahead in the playoff race, score in injury time to finish off the Golden Star 2-1.
South Korea v Central African Republic: Bringing a 2-game win streak to the match, CAF looks to keep up its pace and push for their own playoff spot. A 2-0 halftime lead certainly makes that turn to their favor. The Devils make a push and take one goal of their own, but it's all for naught as the Beast take it back and win 3-1.
Malaysia v Japan: Malaysia brings momentum from their come-from-behind win over Kyrgyzstan in Round 17. They take 3 unanswered goals to halftime and don't look back. A defeated Japanese side allows one more before the match is called.

Next Matchups
With only 12 points up for grabs, a loss by anyone at the bottom of the table could mean the end for their season. The top three teams are all tied on 30 points, and positions 4-11 on the table are separated by only 7 points. Even Jordan, with a win over Japan, can keep themselves in contention.
Fixture 19 Matchup.jpg

Deadline: 2100 GMT Thursday 16 Nov 2017
Again, if everyone gets their picks in early, I'll get the results together sooner.

The playoffs are coming up soon, and the idea has always been to take the Top 4. 1 vs 4, 2 vs 3. This is normally the set up, but I have also seen a 6-team playoff. 1 and 2 will have byes the first round, while the rest play 3 vs 6 and 4 vs 5. #1 will take the lower remaining seed and #2 takes the higher. I would like to know your opinion on this system.

The other idea I had was to allow for more than just one elimination game. Instead of one-and-done, we could have a best-of-three matches. Also, we could entertain a double-elimination style playoffs.

All of you are welcome to argue your case here, but I would like to know your official position in the RPS private message you have with me. Keep your vote secret. I won't make my decision until after Round 20 is complete.

Results
Round 19 Results.jpg

Next Matchups
Fixture 20 Matchup.jpg

Deadline: Fine. Whenever you want. I pick a deadline and still end up reminding some of you even though I said I wouldn't. Then I get your picks and something comes up and I end up being the one who is late. So...yeah...sometime early next week. ALSO - Please remember to give me your preference on how to handle the playoffs. 4 teams vs 6 teams? Single elimination vs. Double elimination. One match or best-of-three?

Results
View attachment 222668

Next Matchups
View attachment 222669

Deadline: Fine. Whenever you want. I pick a deadline and still end up reminding some of you even though I said I wouldn't. Then I get your picks and something comes up and I end up being the one who is late. So...yeah...sometime early next week. ALSO - Please remember to give me your preference on how to handle the playoffs. 4 teams vs 6 teams? Single elimination vs. Double elimination. One match or best-of-three?
They way I deal with deadlines is as follows.

I don't set one. When I'm first free to do the updates, i check if everyone has replied. If some haven't, I send a PM reminder. If by the next time I'm free (at least 24 hours), people haven't replied, but been online, I skip them. If during that time they still haven't been online, I'll keep waiting until either they come online, or the wait is too long to be reasonable.

Well, I might take that lax approach next time, but it's Round 20 now. I'll just continue my method of reminding about 6hrs before the deadline and if they miss oh well.

Results
Round 20 Results.jpg

A lot of interesting things, none of which I'm going to describe. All I want to say is, look at the table on the first page. Two teams have been guaranteed a playoff spot, two have been eliminated from contention. The top of the table has moved A LOT in the last 4 matches, so watch out!

Next Matchups
Obviously, game of the day goes to Malaysia v Brazil, the two top teams of the season so far. The winner will all but guarantee a bye in the first round. Also important to watch would be Vietnam v Benin. Both looking for an uptick to finish the season, Benin needing one just to qualify.
Fixture 21 Matchup.jpg

Deadline: Well, it's Thanksgiving here in the USA. Which means I will not be back in the office until Monday next week. So...that's your deadline! Let's try to get the final two round wrapped up next week so we can start the playoffs.

As for the playoffs, the general consensus has been to move to a 6-team system. The top two will receive a bye from the first round. They will await the winners of #3 vs #6 and #4 vs #5. Also, several of you liked the idea of a best-of-three playoffs as opposed to a single game or a double elimination. So, that is the way we will go. I'll send you a PM when your match is coming up, and I'll ask you for your 5 picks of all three matches. If I need extra time or shoot-out selections, I'll PM you afterward about it.

Good Luck to everyone. (Except Jordan and Macau, of course)

One more note guys....
If anyone is interested in taking over for Season 24, please let me know. Or, I can do it again. I don't mind. But I'll make a shorter season or a slightly different league set-up. Haven't decided yet.

Results
Round 21 Results.jpg

Macau v Japan: Already eliminated from playoff contention, Macau wasn't expected to put up much of a fight. However, a scoreless first half proved this might be more than a practice session for Japan. Coming out of the locker, though, Japan found their urgency and need to win by putting up 3 unanswered goals in the final 30 minutes. With a bit of luck (and losses next round), Japan could still be in the playoffs.
Kyrgyzstan v. Jordan: Jordan is out of the tournament and seriously contemplated not showing up for this one. The Kyrgyz, however, was able to book the flight from Amman so they could have a worth practice heading into the playoffs.
Vietnam v Benin: Needing a win to have a chance at qualifying, Benin brought their big guns to this match. 2-0 at the half, they held a firm upper hand on their opponent. Vietnam couldn't recover, even allowing another goal before the final whistle.
South Korea v Liberia: Liberia is on a hot streak to finish up this season, winning their last 3 matches. South Korea is unable to stop them, making it 4 in a row. Liberia pushing for the post-season now, as one final win could clinch it.
Malaysia v Brazil: The teams at the top of the table fighting for the home-field advantage in the playoffs. And a wild one it was! Tied up at 1-1 at the half, Malaysia managed two quick goals to start the second. Brazil scores at the 81st minute, but loses a chance to tie it up with a late offside on their final attack.
Macedonia v Central African Republic: Both teams needing a win just to have a chance, and CAF responded ferociously. They take a 3-0 lead to the half, and send extra defenders in to hold on for the win.

Next Matchups
Malaysia and Brazil still the only teams to lock up a playoff spot. Malaysia's win over Brazil guaranteed them a first-round bye. A loss by Macedonia unfortunately ended their chances. Four spots remain in the playoffs, but seven teams are still in contention. Four of those teams are on 30 points, so a tie-breaker will certainly come into play here! Good luck to all of you!
Fixture 22 Matchup.jpg

Deadline: Let's try to wrap this up bye the end of the week so I can set up the playoff matches for Monday. Let's say Thursday evening.

The final matchups are drawing to a close, and the playoff picture is coming together quite nicely! It is exciting to see, at the last possible moment, 9 teams still fighting for 6 spots!

Results
Round 22 Results.jpg

Macau v. Vietnam: Vietnam holds its own fate today...a win would seal them a place in the playoffs. The match starts off very well for them with a 2-0 lead at the half. Celebrating a little too early, though, the Golden Stars let two slip by in the second. Macau holds on for a draw despite having no chance to make the playoffs. Vietnam will be scratching their heads at this one, and waiting nervously for the results of the other matches.
Kyrgyzstan v. Liberia: The Kyrgyz sit firmly in third position going into this match, but they are by no means safe. Their opponent is looking to put themselves in the playoffs and will let no one get in their way. The first half was a very defensive effort, ending at 0-0. Liberia strikes first at the 49th minute, and seals the deal with a 2nd strike 12 minutes later. Kyrgyzstan tries to make a rally with a goal of their own at the 77th minute, but it was not meant to be as the match ends 2-1.
Jordan v Brazil: Jordan ever the spoilers in this season and looking to set up momentum for Season 24. Brazil, already guaranteed a playoff spot, just looking to seal the first-round bye with Malaysia. They get lucky, though, to even the match 1-1 at the half, but looking towards their future prevented them from looking towards the attackers going for their goal. Jordan topples the top-tier team, 3-1.
Japan v. Central African Republic: Japan, in a position to possible find a playoff spot with a win, makes things difficult for the Wild Beasts. After settling down the beginning of the match, Japan manages two goals at the 33rd and 40th minutes. But, CAF is among those potentially taking the final first-round bye, if they can manage a win. Rested well during the halftime break, they come out hard and fast, but only manage two of their own. The match ends in a draw 2-2.
Malaysia v Benin: The Tigers vs. The Squirrels...they don't sound too terrifying, do they? But when the monster is sleeping, content with its already-secured first-round bye, the little mammals can score with ease. Halftime nets a 0-0 draw, but Benin takes the sleeping giant for two goals in the second half, winning 2-0.
Macedonia v South Korea: South Korea needs a win just to qualify, and their opponent just wanted redemption after a sloppy season. The Lynxes managed a goal in the first half, but South Korea proved too strong for them in the end. It was this final match of the season that closed the door on their rivals from Kyrgyzstan, for a loss or a draw would have given the spot to the White Falcons.

And so ends the final round of the regular season of RPS - Season 23. Onward we move into the playoffs!

Next Matchups

Due to their unmatched record of 13-0-9, Malaysia has topped the table with 39 points this season. Brazil's 33 points and a +5 Goal Differential guaranteed they would sit second and claim the final first-round bye. The next four teams on the table all finished with 33 points apiece, and Goal Difference would be the tie breaker. Even further down the table, a next tie breaker of Goal For would be used to separate 5th from 6th. And so, with these results settled, I can now announce the contenders for the first round of the playoffs.

#3 Benin vs. #6 Liberia
#4 Central African Republic vs. #5 South Korea

The lowest remaining seed from these matches will play against Malaysia in the second round, and the remaining team will play Brazil.

I will contact each of you separately in PMs to request your RPS choices. These playoffs will run in a best-of-three matches format, and I would like you to provide me with your choices for all three matches up front so we are not left waiting much longer. After I decided winners, I may need to ask you for separate extra-time choices and shoot-out choices.

Good Luck, players!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 337 15.5%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 229 10.5%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 228 10.5%
  • < 4 years