Rock, Paper, Scissors Tournament - Season 23

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Deleted member 161052

Because that would be ugly and I'm a perfectionist.
PicPick's snipping tool is better than Microsoft's one. I've used PicPick to do my snaps when I was a moderator of this forum game.

Results
Round 6 Results.jpg

Japan v Brazil: One of the highlights of the weekend, Brazil and Japan pit two teams looking to push themselves into playoff contention. Brazil gets on the board early after dominating the first half. But Japan capitalizes on several late mistakes by the Green and Yellow, netting two goals to take this one 2-1.
Jordan v Liberia: The battle for the bottom lasted to the final whistle. A safe match from the start, neither side wanting to pressure their tired defense too hard. A couple late goals for each side proved the defense wasn't ready for the full 90 minutes.
Kyrgyzstan v Vietnam: In a match that was supposed to be an easy win, Vietnam played this match with a full line up of benchwarmers. Down 2-0 at halftime, a switch to the regulars (who failed even to warm up) didn't seem to help things. The Kyrgyz take this one 3-0.
Macau v South Korea: Ever the trendsetters, Macua decides to sit out the games that seem to be the most difficult. Are they resting their players to beat the weaker teams? A tactic to get some easy points on the table? We'll know in their next match!
Macedonia v Malaysia: This was guaranteed to be a great match between two of the top teams in the tournament. The mighty Tigers pounced early, wanting to avenge their 2-game losing streak. 3-0 at the half, and they switch to a 5-defender setup. This all but guaranteed their win today.
Benin v Central African Republic: CAF gets out to a 2-0 start and never looked back. The crowd in Bangui louder than ever to witness their team enter a 2-game win streak after starting the tournament with only 2 points.

Next Matchups
Fixture 7 Matchup.jpg

Deadline 2100GMT, Thursday 28/9/17

Still need selections from 5 of you. 24hrs warning. I wouldn't normally mention this if it were only 1 or 2 of you, but I can't stand forfeits.

Results

Round 7 Results.jpg

Macedonia v Benin: Macedonia, expected to take this one easily, got off to a great start with an early goal in the 7th minute. Benin looked to be backpedaling on home turf, but the crowd wouldn't let them. Rolling back from the lockers, Benin tied the match at 1-1 straight away off the second half kickoff. But the crowd wanted more, and the noise prevented the visitors from noticing the coaches cry to sub for the ailing defensemen. Benin capitalized with a late strike, ending this one 2-1.
Malaysia v. Macau: Two teams who started off the season very well but faltering of late. Halftime at 0-0 didn't help spirits much, but Malaysia proved too strong in the second half. Scoring early, then capitalizing on Macau's use of extra attackers, the Tigers roll to an easy 2-0 victory.
South Korea v Kyrgyzstan: South Korea expected to take this one with one hand tied behind their backs, and they were the first to take blood. The Kyrgyz didn't give up, though, managing to even the score before the half. Two goals in the second half amid a plethora of yellow cards (and one red) gave South Korea the advantage it needed to challenge for the top spot on the table.
Vietnam v. Jordan: Proving it belongs at the top of the table, Vietnam shut the crowd up with a goal in the 9th minute. Toying with their opponents all game, they were able to hold Jordan to just 5 shots, one of which was able to find its home in the 69th minute. Vietnam, not looking to lose anymore points, peppered the opposing goal with 6 shots in 6 minutes, but only one of them needed to go in to give them the victory.
Liberia v Japan: Two teams in the middle of the table looking to prove they belong in the upper half, and Japan finds their rhythm from the on-set. Liberia learns the lesson fast and delivers a one-two punch to make the half-time score 2-1. Liberia, happy with the score, starts the second half with an extra defender. Japan was unable to penetrate, and score remained 2-1 at the final whistle.
Brazil v Central African Republic: Another pair of teams looking to prove their worth, Brazil and CAF waste no time getting underway in Bangui. Six shots apiece and one goal apiece as the teams go to the lockers. From the Brazilian lockers one could hear chants of "Vencer!" and "Ganhar!". The Green and Yellow came out fast and hard, never looking back at the opponents they just ran over.

Next matchups
Matchup of the week would go to South Korea and Brazil. Despite being 3 points apart, both teams are within striking distance of the top spot. Keep a close eye on Macedonia v Japan, as well. Both coming off a loss and looking to maintain a place in the top half of the table.

Fixture 8 Matchup.jpg

Deadline: 2100GMT, 2 Oct 2017

I only have 6 of 12 make their choices. Deadline in 3hrs.

Sorry guys, time's up. Managed to get a couple more out of you. I'm running the calcs now.

Last edited:
Results
Round 8 Results.jpg

Vietnam v. Liberia: Stop this. Do I need to call your mother?
Kyrgyzstan v Benin: Benin thought they had this cat in the bag when their players walked off the field at the whistle. Unfortunately for them, it was a call for offside and not the final whistle. The Kyrgyz waltz in for a final tally before their opponent realize their mistake.
Macau v. Jordan: Surprisingly, it wasn't Macau missing their match today but rather Jordan. A forfeit was called when the Chivalrous called in sick.
Macedonia v. Japan: Macedonia slumping down to the middle of the table with their third straight loss. Japan on fire as they have 10 points on their last 5 matches, which is the most of the entire tournament.
Malaysia v. Central African Republic: Malaysia ready to put on a strong show in today's match, but their efforts fell short because there wasn't anyone to play.
South Korea v. Brazil: Both teams coming off big wins, and Brazil sets the tempo with their early goal. But the Red Devils come back with three in the second half to easily claim the top spot on the table.

Next Matchups
Matches to watch: Japan is tied with Macau on 12pts, and their hot streak will be tested. Jordan and Kyrgyzstan looking to climb higher in the table.
Fixture 9 Matchup.jpg

Deadline 2100 GMT, Thursday 5 Oct 2017
(Subject to change because of a business meeting)

Results

Round 9 Results.jpg

Japan v Macau: Two teams couldn't more tied than Japan and Macau, and this match drove the point home. Scoreless at the half, both teams manage a goal each in the second. Stingy defense from Macau late let them keep it close enough to pull of a draw.
Jordan v Kyrgyzstan: Sandstorms at home kept the Jordanian commercial airlines grounded, and the team never made it to the match.
Benin v Vietnam: Ask me a week ago how this match would go, and I would have predicted a Vietnam routing. Benin has been on a tear of late, and pulled off a rally to tie the game up with only 2 minutes to go.
Liberia v South Korea: I honestly would have preferred to see South Korea get their 4th consecutive win on their own terms, bu Liberia must be resting their team. Two straight forfeits make us all wonder where oh where they could be!
Brazil v. Malaysia: A wild match from the start, Brazil takes a 2-1 lead to the locker room. Maintaining momentum, they seal the deal with a 3rd goal in the 60th. It was a trivial matter by then, but Malaysia did manage a late tally with extra attackers.
Central African Republic v. Macedonia: The Red Lions looking to reverse their awful luck, and start strong with the first goal of the match at the 32nd minute. But the Wild Beasts will have none of it. CAF pull three goals out of their butts and send Macedonia packing with their 4th straight loss.

Next Matchups
South Korea v Malaysia: The two teams at the top of the table, face off in an epic match for the ages.
Japan v. Benin: They might be in the middle of the pack, but both teams come into this match scoring 8 points in their last 5.
Fixture 10 Matchup.jpg

Deadline 2100 GMT, Monday 9 Oct 2017 (Also my __rd birthday).

Last edited:
Results
With an amazing show of coincidences, every match was won with 2 goals. And all home teams (save one) were victorious!
Round 10 Results.jpg

Macau v Liberia: Liberia looking to better itself in the tournament, they draw first blood early. Macau, never a team to give up, hold tight for a further 75 minutes, before letting another goal slip in. The Lone Stars take this match 2-0.
Macedonia v Vietnam: Such a slide lately for Team Macedonia. Too bad their opponent was Vietnam. The Gold Stars pick up two goals late in the first half, and sit on the ball for the last 45 minutes. Macedonia drop their fifth straight match by a combined score of 12-3.
Malaysia v South Korea: Our "Match of the Week" was a real barn burner, giving us a ton of action on both sides. Malaysia managed a goal early to set the tempo, but KOR was not giving in. South Korea held 75% possession in the first half but couldn't put one in. Malaysia bags a second goal late in the first half on a surprise breakaway, and they never looked back, winning 2-1.
Japan v Benin: Another "Match of the Week", this a bit more exciting. Both teams get a goal in the first half, and it stays that way until injury time. Benin slips one in off a corner kick and the ref blows the whistle to end it.
Jordan v Central African Republic: CAF just trying to pull out of the middle of the table here, and Jordan was not interested in cooperating. A 1-1 draw heading to the lockers, Jordan fizzled in the 2nd half. Two straight now for The Beasts...can they make it three against Japan?
Kyrgyzstan v Brazil: The Green and Gold take a 2-0 lead after just 20 minutes. In a match that probably could have gone 4-0, Brazil plays keep-away for the rest of the game, knowing they would sit comfortably in 4th place.

Next Matchups
South Korea and Malaysia are both expecting to continue their high level of play against two weaker opponents. Our Match of the Week goes to Central African Republic v Japan. Just one point separating the two after ten matches.

Fixture 11 Matchup.jpg

Round 11 also brings us to the half-way point of the tournament. You all will have played each other once. Now we go through the matches again, switching home and visitor, and in a different order.

Deadline 2100GMT 16 Oct 2017. As always, if I get all 12 selections before Friday, I'll run the matches. But, I don't do this over the weekends.

Results
Two of the mighty have fallen, leaving us with a new leader!
Round 11 Results.jpg

Vietnam v Macau: Slow first half gives the fans no scoring, but the second is full of action. Vietnam get on the board first, but Macau quickly tie it back up. A late penalty kick sails over the bar for Macau, and Vietnam manage a final tally in injury time.
Liberia v Kyrgyzstan: A goal apiece in the first half prove neither team is going down easy. Once the Kyrgyz score in the second, it was all defense from then on. 2-1 is your final score.
Brazil v Jordan: Jordan looking to bounce themselves out of the cellar and into a worthy spot on the table, they score two early goals for a 2-0 lead at the half. Brazil will have none of it, though, netting two of their own in the second to pull off the draw.
Central African Republic v Japan: CAF looking to ride the high of two straight wins, and a goal in the 34th minutes keeps them running strong. But Japan comes out of the lockers hot and ready, taking the game back in their own hands. Japan wins it 2-1.
Benin v Malaysia: Malaysia picks on Benin in the press conference, promising to beat them with second-stringers. First team doesn't even suit up, which is a shame because they could have won easily. Instead, Benin up 2-0 at the half, and pops in one more to finish off the Tigers 3-0.
South Korea v Macedonia: South Korea was looking to avenge their loss against Malaysia (whom they did not know had already lost today). Maybe a bit too eager and undisciplined for this match, and Macedonia took them to the cleaners. 3-0 at the half and you could tell the spirit of the team had already flown back to Seoul.

Next Matchups
Kyrgyzstan v Macedonia look to be a great match, two teams trying to break from the middle of the table. But, I'll be watching Japan v. South Korea...can the Samurai hand the Devils a third loss?
Fixture 12 Matchup.jpg

Deadline: 2100 GMT , 19 Oct 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 99 7.9%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 132 10.5%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 177 14.0%