Robert Kubica dreams of F1 return

Kubica.jpg

After his horrendous rallying accident in January 2011, it has seemed an F1 comeback for the hugely talented Polish driver Robert Kubica has looked increasingly unlikely as time wears on. After a number of surgeries it seems Kubica's damaged right hand has given him some difficulties still ,especially in single seaters with narrow cockpits, however this hasn't stopped him from dreaming of an F1 return.

Kubica has returned to motorsport in rallying since late 2012, winning the WRC2 feeder title last year before stepping up to the WRC this year in a Ford Fiesta. Kubica has shown prodigious speed yet has struggled with accidents all year.

Despite this Kubica has revealed to BBC Sport he still dreams of a return to Formula One in the future " Once the season is over I will look at everything. It will be a dream to come back to F1, The arm and hand are okay. From a mobility point of view, there have been some improvements. From a limitation point of view, it's pretty much the same."

Kubica also added " So I need to have more surgery - and there are possibilities - but it's a tight season, there are many rallies and they are long events. Formula 1 would be a dream to come back but we have to stay realistic. If I decide to try and come back I will have more surgery this winter and maybe with the help of the doctors, and with some luck, it will be possible. "

Whilst he still requires some surgery on his right hand, it does appear Kubica is slowly regaining the old mobility he had in the hand. If he can get back to his previous levels of mobility in both appears the chances of an F1 comeback would be hugely increased. If he was confirmed as fully fit it would be hugely surprising if every F1 team passed on him and failed to give the Grand Prix winner a chance. If Kubica does get another F1 chance be sure that he will give it 100% and will most likely surprise a lot of the F1 community. What would your thoughts be on a potential comeback to F1 for Robert Kubica?

Personally I don't see it.

He was a good driver, but so are half of the grid. He won one GP and had a very nice season (but so did Nick Heidfeld in the other BMW). Nothing there indicates he was going to be dominating F1 even at peak conditions... then put a horrible accident, years of recovery, nobody getting any younger here...

I don't see it happening either.
I would love to see it...but with so much young talent waiting in the wing for so few spots...it's all but impossible.
Still, It'd be great to see him as a test and development driver.
He's quick in just about any car and very talented.
This, and Jules' accident were two of the most unlucky things to happen to drivers at the height of their careers.
Robert had the option of going anywhere at the time of his accident. Huge billing.
Jules probably would have been contracted to Ferrari in the not too distant future.

Last edited:
Boullier: If Kubica will be ready, willing to accept it
McLaren boss said he is considering proposals contracting Robert Kubica to your team.

• Deleted member 130869

He was a good driver, but so are half of the grid. He won one GP and had a very nice season (but so did Nick Heidfeld in the other BMW). Nothing there indicates he was going to be dominating F1 even at peak conditions... then put a horrible accident, years of recovery, nobody getting any younger here...

I disagree. Kubica was already a good driver but with even more raw natural talent and speed. Maybe a fifth or sixth of the grid has that. He was less consistent than Nick Heidfeld in results but superior in pace - read, experience and maturing.

Then in the Renault while that thing was still a dog he was showing clear signs of how much more of the car he was extracting, very akin to Alonso. Was it not for Vettell taking him out in Melbourne, he would have raced to 2nd place.

Now, and ever since he joined WRC, he showed he isn't just quick in a F1 car but also adapted to rally. Thing is, he doesn't compromise. He pushes. So in places of narrow margins that can cause to huge shunts, but guess what? You learn from experience. Valentino Rossi's first two times trying to go around a corner on a bike resulted in him crashing twice. The third time he went on to finish the lap.

Kubica's return would be nothing short of miraculous and given the potential timeline for this, he could land somewhere in 2016 and even be given a gambled seat for that year or 2017. His injuries were severe but you can't ever argue against talent. How many F1 drivers have had brushes with death and lost their edge? Quite a few. How many haven't and push just the same? Very, very few. In the current grid? Never write off Kubica.

Complete bollocks dude. I have seen older, wiser and more doubted people return to F1 and surprise. Niki Lauda to name one....yes yes not the same calibre but nevertheless would add flavour to see him back in a cockpit. And yeah will be a good show if the car is halfway reasonable as he would be out to give it all. I want to see that. Just my five cents.

I can't help but be a bit angry at him.
Finally we got a racer in the big game, a good guy at that, fast, down to earth & funny and what does he do? Risk his health by running rally stages like a madman, how did Renault even allow him to do that?
I remember Hamilton saying (i think it was a comment on Vettels domination) that he raced most of the guys under the same conditions in karts and the only one who could keep up with him was Robert.
Would love to see him back but if i'm honest i think the chances are low.

He's rallying like most guys are simracing, full speed until the crash, then dial it back :D.

If he did recover the use of his hand? Would he get a drive, as 2 of the lower teams have gone into administration? And with less seats, the likelihood of him getting a seat is slim to none :(

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back