Road America Coming to RaceRoom Racing Experience

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
RaceRoom Road America Confirmed 5.jpg

Perhaps one of the most notable circuits in the USA, the legendary Road America track has been confirmed as on the way to RaceRoom Racing Experience very "soon"...

Confirmed to be the first track of 2018 for RaceRoom Racing Experience, Road America is a wonderful and iconic 6.515km permanent road course in Elkhart Lake, Wisconsin, USA. Featuring a mix of fast and technical corners with good overtaking opportunities, this popular racing location is expected to join the simulation as part of the upcoming new major build release, expected at some stage in the coming weeks.

Is it beautiful? Yes. Is it fun to drive? Yes. Will it be coming to RaceRoom Racing Experience in the near future as paid DLC? Hell yes! Check out the released screenshots below, and stay tuned for more news as and when it becomes available...

RaceRoom Road America Confirmed 1.jpg
RaceRoom Road America Confirmed 2.jpg
RaceRoom Road America Confirmed 3.jpg
RaceRoom Road America Confirmed 4.jpg

RaceRoom Racing Experience is available exclusively to PC on a free to play platform with additional content available at a further cost.

Love RaceRoom? Want to share the excitement with your fellow community members? No worries, we have all this and more at the RaceRoom Racing Experience sub forum right here at RaceDepartment:
Like what you see here at RaceDepartment? Don't forget to like, subscribe and follow us on social media!

RaceDepartment YouTube
RaceDepartment Twitter
RaceDepartment Facebook
RaceDepartment Twitch
RaceDepartment Instagram

Excited to see Road America coming to RaceRoom Racing Experience? Any other US tracks you would like to see added to the sim? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited:
@Georg Ortner is previewing Road America on his YouTube stream tonight. :)
Thanks Steve for the heads up.
Some really encouraging information in there, I especially liked to hear Sector 3's take on development...do the things we need to and then the things we want to.... Having the stones to stand up to a portion of the community clamoring for better VR, day to night, rain and a new engine and say whoa not so fast, is refreshing. Yes, because I am not part of that delegation none of that matters as much to me but for him to say VR is a bit of a gimmick sounds to me that maybe that is more of a want to then a need to and could allow those limited resources to new content that everyone can take advantage of.
When you think of an outside collaboration with SRS for a robust online racing platform to address a need, a stronger single player experience in the future with multi-class racing, recognizing bringing in GTE would also require updated P2 and perhaps even more P1, as well as his response to classic race cars lends me to believe the content we will see will not include a deviation too far from what I love about R3E.
Georg's take on Daytona and Le Mans, albeit I do like racing on those tracks but not necessarily on my wish list, addressing the laser scanning hype, his honesty is appreciated and willingness to share that is fantastic.

edit: change from offline to online

Last edited:
what did he say about rain and night exactly? sorry i dont understand your post at all :)
Lacking these 2 things is the main reason I dont get into RR yet.
Does it have drive swap and rejoin? With rain and day/night cycle + swap + rejoin would be amazing to host a blancpain GT league there

what did he say about rain and night exactly? sorry i dont understand your post at all :)
Hi Will,
He was asked on different occasions about each of those topics as well as the Unreal Engine 4 and answered each individually and finally saying, in summary, that the UE4 is for the GTR3 sim first and perhaps later for R3E.
Day and Night along with rain for R3E will only come if or when R3E converts to UE4.
Sorry for the confusion but again just from my perspective, those things aren't nearly as important to me as they are for others, but. I respect those who would enjoy or require more of a challenge. Dry weather day racing provides more than enough challenge for me currently running at 107/120 on the AI level.

Hi Will,
He was asked on different occasions about each of those topics as well as the Unreal Engine 4 and answered each individually and finally saying, in summary, that the UE4 is for the GTR3 sim first and perhaps later for R3E.
Day and Night along with rain for R3E will only come if or when R3E converts to UE4.
Sorry for the confusion but again just from my perspective, those things aren't nearly as important to me as they are for others, but. I respect those who would enjoy or require more of a challenge. Dry weather day racing provides more than enough challenge for me currently running at 107/120 on the AI level.
Well it's not about challenge, it's about simulation. There is rain IRL and the sun is not on the sky 24/7 so it makes sense to have this as a basic feature of any sim. The lack of an actual team working your car (and on track) is already a huge immersion break compared to a real life event (to me at least) so lacking these 2 is even worse IMO.
RR is like a wall of bricks where many of these bricks are bad choices form the past, fixing them will take a while I guess. :( (worst thing is that the original code should have day/night at least??)
Thanks for quick answer, guess I can just forget about RR for many more years now lol

I'm also of the opinion that day/night and weather is not really a priority. There are sims that have it and have had it in the past and that's fine, it's fun to mix things up occasionally. However, I think it's probably fair to say that most would still spend 85% of their time racing in dry weather during the day even if they had those options, so get other things done first. Certainly in club racing weather was rarely very popular with the masses when it was tried before, so I'm really not bothered about if or when it comes to R3E.

That said, I think calling VR a "gimmick" is pretty dumb. It's that attitude which is holding VR back from what it could be if developers took it more seriously. I'm not saying that I want S3 to switch their focus to VR and put loads of effort into it... VR works fine as it is as far as I'm concerned, and apart from a few niggles I don't think it needs to be messed with right now. That said, it should be something they keep in mind for their future plans because VR is literally perfect for simulations and adds something pretty graphics and triple screens simply can't.

Of the two, I would call weather a gimmick, not VR. But that's just me.

What is SRS ?

http://www.simracingsystem.com/

To be honest this was the first I heard of it was in Georg's video and a post here http://www.racedepartment.com/threads/sim-racing-system-coming-soon.146584/ on RD that by the video I thought it to be some new game or something. It looks to be a third party online racing org that is similar in spirit to iRacing, with no cost as I understand it at least.

edit: added link to other post and corrected offline to online.
I got so excited I knew an answer to someones question I answered it incorrectly...flashback to skool daze. Thanks Andy for catching that one.

Last edited:

To be honest this was the first I heard of it was in Georg's video and a post here on RD that by the video I thought it to be some new game or something. It looks to be a third part offline racing org that is similar in spirit to iRacing, with no cost as I understand it at least.
It doesn't look to be an offline system. Or am I missing something? Offline or online? Confused am I.:notworthy::cautious:

To be honest this was the first I heard of it was in Georg's video and a post here http://www.racedepartment.com/threads/sim-racing-system-coming-soon.146584/ on RD that by the video I thought it to be some new game or something. It looks to be a third party online racing org that is similar in spirit to iRacing, with no cost as I understand it at least.

edit: added link to other post and corrected offline to online.
I got so excited I knew an answer to someones question I answered it incorrectly...flashback to skool daze. Thanks Andy for catching that one.

Saw it first yesterday too in his stream. Thanks!

In Assetto Corsa, SRS is a third-party app that integrates with the sim's UI. Start AC, select "SRS" from the left-hand column and you will see a schedule of online races. Select a race and join when the schedule timer reaches zero. Races are rated and there are splits if enough people compete. It's all done from within AC and works seamlessly. If it's as easy to use in RaceRoom as in Assetto Corsa, it should prove popular.

As for VR, Georg said that it's good for an hour but he thinks it is currently unsuitable for endurance races. The word "gimmick" might simply be a result of Georg not speaking in his mother tongue, driving a Daytona Prototype and answering chat questions all at the same time. :)

The single-player multi-class demonstration was impressive and enticing. But although multi-class is 95% finished, the last 5% will take a long time to do because there are other tasks that must be done first.

Last edited:
Did he say why it was unsuitable? I've driven for hours straight with no issues at all. If you adjust the headset correctly, pad the nose area, and use demister on the lenses it's all good.

If memory serves, it was a combination of increasing discomfort over long stints and low resolution.

That's nothing controversial; VR is still a developing technology. But the video was two hours long, so don't quote me (or Georg!) on that. :)

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back