Tracks Riverside International Raceway

I'm slightly disappointed you're not tackling another abandoned circuit, Zandvoort '67 would have been amazing. No trees either.
You have to change it up sometimes. Rebuilding ghost tracks accurately is a extremely time consuming process. I want to build something where there is little to no guesswork. Plus I want to learn the process of using data like lidar to build a track. And also I have driven NJMP Lightning a few times and it is a very fun track.

Of course, I completely understand. Your work is astonishing, I am excited to see how it works with modern data available too.

The fact you have driven this track should make it very special indeed. It's not one I'm familiar with, another bonus!

The new video of Riverside since looks good it pleasure to drive me few round it with the K3.
What is missing is the old concrete loop of the Nürburgring.
Could I have pictures of get.

Gallileo Figaro - magnifico!

Oh wow...I'm not very familiar with this New Jersey track. The layout(s) look pretty sweet to me. Do you think that working with LIDAR is going to make the overall building process easier/shorter time for you? Or do you think that because this is your first time working with LIDAR that will wipe away any time gains this first time as you figure out the best way to do things with this new method for you?

I hope that makes sense. I'm sure that in time LIDAR should make the overall process easier or at least less time consuming. It obviously gives you much better accuracy for replicating the circuit. BTW, where is your donation info? Are you not allowed to display that in a signature file on the forums here on RD?

Gallileo Figaro - magnifico!

Oh wow...I'm not very familiar with this New Jersey track. The layout(s) look pretty sweet to me. Do you think that working with LIDAR is going to make the overall building process easier/shorter time for you? Or do you think that because this is your first time working with LIDAR that will wipe away any time gains this first time as you figure out the best way to do things with this new method for you?

I hope that makes sense. I'm sure that in time LIDAR should make the overall process easier or at least less time consuming. It obviously gives you much better accuracy for replicating the circuit. BTW, where is your donation info? Are you not allowed to display that in a signature file on the forums here on RD?
Well each track is different depending on what they are. For instance RIR and Bridge are both ghost tracks but RIR overall is taking longer due to the much larger amount of objects and also the lack of any real solid height data so there was much more tweaking and testing required to get the RIR layout as accurate as possible.

NJMP Lightning is a a club track so no big grandstands, pit lane objects, etc. So overall much less intensive from a modeling standpoint. I expect dealing with the lidar to be a bit of a learning curve but I already have the data in blender ready to go. once the track and land is setup the rest is simple basic modeling of a few buildings, paddock trailers and cars, and texturing. The best thing is if I need to find out where something is I can load up google earth and BAM there it is. Or i can actually go there and take my own photos. No searching though 40 year old black and white photos just hoping someone got a shot of the thing you want to model. Then figure out was it there for the year you are trying to represent, where exactly it was located, etc. So you can see how building a ghost track accurately can be very exhausting and time consuming and that is before you even start modeling it. I'm not saying I'm giving up on them but I need to change it up as I said. Plus there are quite a few great tracks that have lidar data like Lime Rock, Sonoma, Thompson Speedway (oval+road course), Road Atlanta, Summit Point, just to name a few.

In the end I think my point is I believe building NJMP Lightning should go very quick overall.

Lilski, my apologies for earlier comments, I think Riverside is outstanding already. I have raced previous versions, but I can really see the character in the circuit now.

NJMP.....give you that one, looking forward to driving your local track. No doubt you will impart your sense of atmosphere into it and we will all become loyal fans overnight!

Lilski, my apologies for earlier comments, I think Riverside is outstanding already. I have raced previous versions, but I can really see the character in the circuit now.

NJMP.....give you that one, looking forward to driving your local track. No doubt you will impart your sense of atmosphere into it and we will all become loyal fans overnight!
No need to apologize. New version of RIR should be up sometime tomorrow after the car show. Will be busy tonight detailing my car.

Little sneak peak for tomorrow
Screenshot_ks_corvette_c7r_riverside_24-6-116-16-20-26.jpg

Screenshot_ks_corvette_c7r_riverside_24-6-116-16-0-33.jpg

Great work LilSki! The track looks and feels great.
I've got just a very minor issue to report: maybe you're already aware of it and I missed it, but the white lines don't receive the static shadow from the car.

Screenshot_ks_ford_gt40_riverside_26-6-116-12-36-57.jpg

Great work LilSki! The track looks and feels great.
I've got just a very minor issue to report: maybe you're already aware of it and I missed it, but the white lines don't receive the static shadow from the car.

View attachment 141380
As it turns out it's only when the shadow is gone and the system is using the static "shadow". I might have the lines too far above the road as changing transparency to false did nothing. Will have to play with it some more.

As you can see it looks fine with normal shadow.

Screenshot_ks_ford_gt40_riverside_26-6-116-19-45-4.jpg

But zoom out when the real time shadow goes away its an issue.
Screenshot_ks_ford_gt40_riverside_26-6-116-19-48-59.jpg

EDIT: Figured it out. The lines were two large objects. Like from exit T9 all the way to T6 and then T6 to T9. I made the pit lines a separate object and it now works properly. I just need to break the lines into smaller pieces.Thanks again @Rigel for the heads up! Learn something new everyday!
Screenshot_ks_ford_gt40_riverside_26-6-116-22-55-2.jpg

Last edited:
Any thoughts on this? This came up in the support thread and I decided to try it tonight.
Capture.JPG

It would be dynamic and basically work opposite of the sand. As sand goes away the rubber bits appear. It's more or less what AMS does.

EDIT: Took it a little further. This is green
Screenshot_bmw_z4_gt3_riverside_29-6-116-23-57-4.jpg

Optimum
Screenshot_bmw_z4_gt3_riverside_29-6-116-23-54-56.jpg

Last edited:

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 559 17.4%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 379 11.8%
  • < 3 years