Tracks Riverside International Raceway

I don't feel like creating the entire RIR thread and plus I don't feel like there is a point since 0.6 is already up here and people can drive it and see it for themselves. So I'll post the very first post and then the new stuff that was in the AC forum since after 0.6

This was originally posted Jan 1st 2016.

Original Post
So here it is. The Riverside thread.

I'll start off with saying I wasn't happy about this track when I first looked into it. Data is simply not there. No topo maps with any detail or any decent high res aerial shots (I ended up finding an AMAZING 1980 aerial map where you could even pick out the curb locations). But the more I researched it the more I felt compelled bring this track back to life properly. This will be the first scratch built Riverside pretty much ever. All other sim versions are conversions of either Nascar Legends or Nascar heat. Both of which are simply terribly inaccurate.

See below. Nascar Legends on the left. Nascar heat on the right. Mine in the middle.

upload_2016-6-11_13-47-18.png

Not all is lost though as what I lack in data I have in videos. I have tons of NASCAR, CART, IMSA, and IROC video footage with on-boards and TV camera shots. That is one thing I lacked with Bridgehampton. In the end there is no way to be perfect as always. Especially now that this is a flat shopping mall with no sign of the track at all. But I will do my best to bring it back as close as possible.

Here is an EARLY video done by @Richard Dastardly. The track is based off a simple 20' topo with the few height measurements set with everything in the middle done by eye and TONS of testing. At this point I am confident in saying it is already the most accurate Riverside layout to date.

ALL 3 layouts will be done. Full, Short, and NASCAR.

UPDATES Since 0.6

Turn 7 and turn 8 both got a pretty significant change to their elevation profiles. Turn 7 has a longer uphill braking area and the crest is now a bit sharper. You now start coming down the crest and turn into the corner all at the same time.

Turn 8 also got a significant change on both the radius and elevations. The radius was wrong before as it had 3 slight kinks in it instead of being a smooth constant turn. The hill going into the turn is a bit taller now as well as it drops off sharper. Then as you exit the right hand turn there is a more abrupt camber change like a mini corkscrew as you hit the short left hander. I feel this makes 8 a tad bit easier as the proper elevation changes allow you to time the corner better as to when you can get back into the throttle.

It's hard to show the elevation changes in pictures but here are some that try and capture the changes. You will also notice all new tent models as well and temporary RV models.

Screenshot_veloce_gts_riverside_15-5-116-16-23-3_zpsvusfnual.jpg

Screenshot_veloce_gts_riverside_15-5-116-16-24-28_zpsmnri2vwo.jpg

Screenshot_veloce_gts_riverside_15-5-116-16-25-2_zpsrrwmk3sh.jpg

Another addition is a now populated pit road with toolboxes, tents, tires, and gas cans. All 80's Nascar inspired. Each set of pit objects are tied to grid size. So in practice you only have your box. Full grid gets all 24 boxes.

Screenshot_ks_corvette_c7r_riverside_18-5-116-0-20-14_zpsyhp77qe7.jpg

Garages get tool boxes, jack stands, and jacks assigned to AC_CREW

View from exit of T9

Still pluggin away. Once I get the rest of the vehicles in place and redo the RV models I'll be looking at a 0.7 release.

...awaiting the seperate .kn5 for the forest of mobile meth labs.

Riverside.jpg
Hah there won't be that many but there will be about 1500 or so between cars and RVs. I currently don't have a separate kn5 but that might be a good idea.

My original temporary RVs had a combined tri count of about 875k. I just placed the new ones and it is down to 687k tris. So these are much better models not only in poly count but also they look much better and are more period correct. I still have two more styles to model to add even more variety. One style is a truck with the camper in the bed and also some truck and trailer style campers.

here is a shot showing the new ones. The fleetwoods were also a tad out of scale in the shot above.

Screenshot_ks_corvette_c7r_riverside_13-6-116-23-7-6.jpg

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 270 15.3%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 180 10.2%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 181 10.2%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 133 7.5%
  • < 5 years