Rift FPS no higher than 45ps

Paul Glover

I talk lots
I'm not one who pays attention to fps, maybe I should. It dawned on me that I had never checked the 'performance' and I've realised AC will not go over 45fps.

I've done quick search and checked a few things on RD and the internet but nothing seems to help improve it, I am running the Oculus tray tool.

Specs are ok I think?

Intel Core i7 3820
16.0GB DDR3
GeForce GTX 1060

Any help much appreciated

Paul

I have no VR so I can't really help but what I do know is that my overclocked I7 2600k at 4.4 GHz runs with over 100 fps in AC without any apps activated but when I go with full telemetry into a race it drops down to mid 40's!

It seems that apps are really heavy on the fps. My CPU load isn't high, it just slows the game engine down...

So try to deactivate every app. Not just make them not visible, deactivate them in the launcher or content manager and see if you can reach the 90 fps :)

I changed my complete hud because of that :(

Do you use the oculus tray tool? If not it's a free program that has a lot of good uses. One of the things you can do with it is disable ASW mode. I do this for all racing games. ASW limits fps to 45 in the rift which can be helpful with some games for Oculus but for sim racing it isn't. I imagine if you disable your ASW you'll be able to see what your actual frame rate is and be able to adjust your settings from there to hit 90.

The tray tool also allows you to multisample from the tool instead of having to change the oculus.ini as well.

The 45fps value is due to ASW (Asynchronus Spacewarp). It's a feature of Oculus and works in a similar way to Vsync in that when it cannot reach the magical 90fps it defaults to a maximum of 45fps and interpolates every second frame to make the image appear smoother. You'll see that in every game.

I had the same issue - it seems AC has a problem rendering post processing effects in VR. Switching those completely off gave me a huge FPS boost and got me over the ASW magic 45fps and I now maintain a solid 90fps everywhere.

Fore reference, I'm on Oculus running an i7 and 1080Ti.

Note - there is an Oculus debug tool that allows you to switch on a performance HUD. It shows a bunch of things but most importantly, a 'performance headroom' percentage which is great for dialling in your settings to ensure you maintain the magic 90fps.

Last edited:
I'm not one who pays attention to fps, maybe I should. It dawned on me that I had never checked the 'performance' and I've realised AC will not go over 45fps.

I've done quick search and checked a few things on RD and the internet but nothing seems to help improve it, I am running the Oculus tray tool.

Specs are ok I think?

Intel Core i7 3820
16.0GB DDR3
GeForce GTX 1060

Any help much appreciated

Paul
You are running the exact same processor I'm running.
DT6 is correct.
Turn off PP filters.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 243 15.0%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 166 10.3%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 160 9.9%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 121 7.5%