rFactor 2, worth it ?

Hello
I want to ask you if it's worth to buy rFactor 2. How could you compare this game vs F1 2012 ?
I mean gameplay / graphic, etc
The prices are 43.99 USD standard and 84.99 USD lifetime.
What would you advice me, guys ? Just in case i order it, which one should i order ?
Thanks in advance

Your last line is true enough but, ISI has a pedigree in developing Racing Sims so I don't see it as much of a gamble - more of an investment in the future. Then consider all of the mods and possible spin-off games that can come from rF2.
Agreed here. Its not the question IF it will be good, it is the question when. I am 100% confident it will be.

About the initial post, it sums it up pretty much. Inspired me to do a same kind of writing soon. As RD rFactor2 admin since day 1, I certainly have experienced a lot (both positive and negative). Might make a nice article to sum it all up.....

I think ISI will get there with the graphics also.

Just took a ride in the WIP SLS safety car at croft.
Late afternoon, to me it looks already very good. If they can reach this quality in all conditions (rain, night, midday) I will be more than happy. Textures from feels are beautiful also!

IMO we have about 8-10 high quality tracks already, Silverstone is coming and Interlagos from feels also and a few more.

A GUI is also coming soon as they have said to wait with GUI modding for 1-2 months.
It's really coming together slowly but steady.

But TBH it's also time to get all those things right for ISI.
The potential is deffo there but sometimes it just gives you a facepalm in some conditions and it looks like a ATARI game. Really frustrating at times.

BTW the car is a beast. Fun fun fun

Nice car. Like the sound.

I have a GUI waiting as well. That is, in rough forms, and graphic wise. Same story, am waiting to update it when the game is steady. We still are missing certain menu items (spectator mode for instance), and I am not willing to keep updating it. Takes to much time.

So, I understand that people wait a bit with that. If you take that in mind, and step back in time 1 year, you should also understand why there is so limited good content around. Modders did the same during the first period of time. So much basic elements changed, that you where forced to keep updating, or wait. Most decided to wait.

Now, after guys like Feels3 (Much respect for the man...), Tuttle, Mianiak and those other guys who really push the limits of the game, people start to realize its possible, and start to mod again. As mods take time to make, logicaly, the best is still to come.

As I have said and felt like from the beginning, its not a matter of IF they get it done, but when. This game is (IMO), or will be one of the base games for the coming years of simracing.

I bought the game yesterday, and asked for a refund two hours later, to me this is not even a beta, so many glitches, let alone the fact that the graphics engine is no where near finished(14 fps on less than max settings), the physics seem ok but not as good as rFactor1, GTR2 or Race07(all built on the same engine I believe), and there was only about 20 people online, most of which were in passworded servers. I'll wait and try again much later.

Sorry I meant after 2 hours of driving, in that time it showed me enough to make my decision. I spent a while installing every car and track on offer before I evaluated it, and I used the fps fix which gave me a 4X improvement.

In less than 1 lap I could see that the graphics were poor and very laggy, I could feel that the physics were not as good as rFactor1(but not too bad) not to mention hardly no one online, I gave it more time than it needed.

For me it's not worth playing yet.:thumbsup:

Edit: I've just tried it online, I just saw a car split in two and the body went one way and a yellow inner box went the other?:roflmao:

Without judging the issues and comparisons and just commenting on this quoted part.
I like doing comparisons with aspects of other sims as well and so on,
but seriously, 2 hours? (minus install, minus set-up of everything) :confused:
You have to realize how crazy that is.

Right now, rF2 is my favorite SIM to take a daily drive in - I'm not exactly sure why. Maybe it's the driving feel, the cars reaction as I put a couple tires in the grass, or the sound of the Nissan GTR-1, or maybe the way that the starting launch requires delicate throttle control to maximize traction, or the feisty battles against the relentless AI. Despite the graphics being less-than-cutting-edge, the immersion level for me is very high in rF2. Being quite aural myself, the sounds play a large part in that but, there is more to it than that - something I can't quite put my finger on just yet. Many more laps required . . . :)

Personally, I have gamed on GSC 2012 which was great with feel, but eye candy was good enough. RF2 I have been into since day one with the first BETA test, I cant knock it, it has improved so much now with both eye candy and feel. For me the only regret is I wish I had paid for the life time membership which I couldnt jusitfy to the to the wife for giving the funds ... but if it means paying £10 each year i will be happy to do so.

Also remember this is a true SIM not your Arcade (look at my graphic car) game.

Personally, I have gamed on GSC 2012 which was great with feel, but eye candy was good enough. RF2 I have been into since day one with the first BETA test, I cant knock it, it has improved so much now with both eye candy and feel. For me the only regret is I wish I had paid for the life time membership which I couldnt jusitfy to the to the wife for giving the funds ... but if it means paying £10 each year i will be happy to do so.

Also remember this is a true SIM not your Arcade (look at my graphic car) game.

Stuart you can email ISI that you want the lifetime membership, and they will tell you how you can do that. Basicly it comes down to pay the difference in price:)

half of the cars are excellent, the other half have issues, whether it's because of G27 or physics/FFB, I'm not sure.
The AI seem good when they're at their best, but I've generally just hotlaped so not sure how good they really are but it's either GSC or rf2 with the best AI.

At ISI forums, you can read comments that are 100% fanboy sounding, ie, they lack any knowledge or intelligence when it comes to car control, instead, it's a combo of rf2 is the best ever{50% true}, and that rl race drivers are hero's who we can never compete with, and whilst there probably is some truth to that, at some point when you've knocked up 2000hrs+ on PC sims, no car should be beyond your control.

I should point out that there's a difference between control and being supafast, ie, being in control of a sim car to me means having understood how to drive a race car and having learnt about it's particular driving quirks, at which point you should be able to drive it lap after lap at your peak level.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back