rFactor 2, worth buy in 2017?

rf2-rfactor2-theopenracingsimulation.png

Hi all! I'm thinking about buying THE sim! Too late? Probably, it's almost 2018.

Do you folks recommend it anyway?
I know I'm asking into the rFactor2 section, so some answers could be biased towards the yes.
I red some reviews, but I consider your personal impressions most. Particularly about:
  • How easy is to setup the wheel / game settings?
  • How good is the track/car variety?
  • How competitive is the AI?
  • How's the multiplayer?
  • What you love about it?
  • What you don't like about it?
Thank you all in advance!

1.Easy I use default..
2. The few classic tracks fits fine with the few classic tracks..
3. Very competitive , its rfactor .
4. Very good Multiplayer.
5. Spa 66 in a F1 60s car ,have not found anything yet in simracing that beats that experience,
everything is shaking and you can feel every little bump on the track.
6.Lack of Original Content ,cars and tracks , I bought the game back in 2012-ore was it 13, back then it was called Beta something, Now in 2017 if I am not mistaken it still have a Beta number...

• How's the multiplayer?

- As above grab the Demo and see whether it's easy for you
- Pretty decent variety, lots of mods as well
- Very, RF2 has one of if not the best AI currently
- Plenty of leagues, RD Club races, pick up racing is a bit pants
- Dynamic track surfaces, AI, the "feel" of the FFB is very good + lots of other stuff...oh and VR works well.
- Not much, I take it for what it is which is essentially a very good racing sim.

6.Lack of Original Content ,cars and tracks , I bought the game back in 2012-ore was it 13, back then it was called Beta something, Now in 2017 if I am not mistaken it still have a Beta number...

DX11 is only in Beta "currently", DX9 is not.

View attachment 223680
Hi all! I'm thinking about buying THE sim! Too late? Probably, it's almost 2018.

Do you folks recommend it anyway?
I know I'm asking into the rFactor2 section, so some answers could be biased towards the yes.
I red some reviews, but I consider your personal impressions most. Particularly about:
  • How's the multiplayer?
As MarcG mentions, there is a demo but I don't know what you get to try - I do know the old demo wasn't a good representation. In addition to the very good physics and FFB, graphically the DX11 beta looks very good on my system. What I always tell those wanting to try rF2.. you need to understand that it's a pretty deep racing sim that will require some patience and time to uncover it's best qualities. Many take a quick look and jump to conclusions - I actually did this myself some 2-3 years ago :thumbsdown: But, now that I've spent some time with rF2 it's my favorite sim (not my favorite racing game though). If you want a racing "game" then rF2 may not fit the bill for you.
Also keep in mind that the new UI is imminent and the state of development is evolving.
My $.03

If you are mainly interested in hotlapping and custom races i'd say rFactor2 is one of the best sims you can get, it just lacks famous tracks of good quality (but still has quite a lot of tracks) and is not that good for casual MP.
I'd reccomend to try it anyway, i find it much superior to AC/AMS on the physics

The Demo is kinda pants. I tried it a year ago and gave up as the grip level was awful and the Megane is a tricky car to hustle. Get the full game on sale, it is so worth it. The FFB is really good, and easy to set up.There are some fantastic mods around and the new DX11 content is a big improvement over the older build.

The default profile just doesn't match with the wheel.
That’s because rF2 doesn’t know what “joy” it is.

The TH8A could be joy1 and T300 could be joy2... pedals could be joy3 on your system.
If you swap USB port this order could be different.

Anyway: select the T300 default profile (restart rF2...) , so the FFB is correct.

Assign the buttons:
Click on turn left, and turn the wheel left and back to center.
Click on turn right, and turn the wheel right and back to center.
Click on throttle and press the throttle.
Same with brake, clutch, Shift up, down,
All gears for H-shifter.

Don’t forget the pitlimiter. ;)

Tip: once you are happy: save it.
I’ve made a few profiles for different wheels and cars.

Last edited:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back