rFactor 2 Update Deployed in Preparation of Formula E DLC Drop Next Week

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
rF2 Formula E DLC 3.jpg

rFactor 2 has received a new update today to both DX9 and DX11 branches, paving the way for the new Formula E DLC coming to the simulation early next week.

Not massive in size but certainly rather curious, the new rFactor 2 build update deployed today by Studio 397 lays the foundations for the inclusion of electric racing in the simulation going forward, starting with the official Formula E 2017/18 season DLC that is scheduled to drop into the Steam Store very early next week.

If you are interested to know what the new Formula E DLC feels like out on circuit we have something that might interest you... On Wednesday 29th around 20:30 GMT we will be streaming a talk and drive interview with Marcel Offermans as we check out the new cars and tracks. Keep an eye out at RD in the next day or two for more details...

Build 1109 Update Notes

EDIT: Build numbers updated from original S397 post to new numbers revealed today (27.11)

Open Beta DX11 Steam Build ID - 2317443 (rFactor 2 Build 1109)
Default DX9 (OPT-OUT) Steam Build ID - 2317463 (rFactor 2 Build 1109)
  • (DX11) fixed the undercar shadow becoming hard to see at certain low sun angles and reflective road surfaces;
  • Removed an error message in the Launcher when a component already was installed because that's not an error;
  • Onboard controls for changing the engine brake mapping;
  • Physics enhancement to allow building engines that won't stall because they are electric;
  • Added proper playback of transmission sounds on AI/network cars;
  • Physics enhancement to properly generate heat when regenerating energy;
  • Added extra values to display in cockpits and on steering wheels for tyre pressures, temperature, and mixture, boost and brake mapping and brake bias settings;
  • (DX11) ambient undercar shadow fixes so they won't show up on parts of the car, just the ground underneath it.

rFactor 2 is a PC exclusive racing simulation available worldwide via the Steam network.

Check out the rFactor 2 sub forum here at RaceDepartment for all the latest news and discussion with regards to the simulation. You can take part in lively debates with fellow rFactor 2 fans and take part in some great Club and League racing events..!

Like what you see here at RaceDepartment? Don't forget to like, subscribe and follow us on social media!

RaceDepartment YouTube
RaceDepartment Twitter
RaceDepartment Facebook
RaceDepartment Twitch
RaceDepartment Instagram

Looking forward to trying these cars and track in rF2 soon? Let us know your thoughts below!

Last edited:
Fact is although it is obviously a sequel, in relation to the climate of the games industry, despite that, it is refreshing to own a game that's evolving without having to deal with the inevitable "it'll be in the next one" that we are used to...
This for me at least (i'm a cynic) breeds a culture of 'holding back' from devs for the sequel.
It appears with RF2 at least i don't need to worry about that....
It does appear that the titles that go to console or are console titles (forza) , suffer from this.

The two things that makes this sim so intriguing to me is the dynamic track conditions and the visual of the rubber build up on the developing racing line. Second is flat spotting the tires and how it affects the feel of the car, superb. Hope the upgrade to v3 pedals will 'correct' this issue.;)

Thats a shame but i understand as DLC is probably the priority atm. Although i would like to say that theres some issues which have been in need of a fix for quite a while now. AI using hard tyres in qualy etc wet weather ai pit issues etc. - I'm sure your aware = but please dont leave :)

and regarding the topic about rf2 visually,,, yeah i think certainly in certain situations its the best looking sim out there. I have a few screenshots in my steam account that prove that!

I would imagine that RF2 will be launching a FE esports competition with this.
Personally I know its not 'cool' to dare to say it because we are all in the middle ground between the old and the new of Motorsport and many simply copy whatever it is Clarkson is saying, but i for one like FE.
It watch it as its racing, some races are crap some are actually exciting like all racing, i like the look of the cars too and the tech.
I like horse racing and i love Motorcycle racing. It bothers me not that a horse has no engine or makes a sound like race bike.
I like the Tour de France also.

some races are crap some are actually exciting like all racing, i like the look of the cars too and the tech
Without a doubt it is the future and I think the disdain will dissipate as the technology advances and the speed increases. Once that happens and they can begin racing on more traditional. longer courses that include more elevation changes I think the true appreciation will come through, and JC can pound sand. To hate it because it doesn't make a pleasant sound is the same mentality F1 is doing in addressing the current PU. In F1 cars have never been faster and quicker around a circuit and the issue is we need to make them louder. And they wonder why fans are tuning out.

• Deleted member 130869

@JJ72 It could be the textures and other parameters (shaders) for the track, built to a higher quality than regular content. Notice the cars still don't have that smooth and clean reflection but still the diffuse glow, though.

The two things that makes this sim so intriguing to me is the dynamic track conditions and the visual of the rubber build up on the developing racing line. Second is flat spotting the tires and how it affects the feel of the car, superb. Hope the upgrade to v3 pedals will 'correct' this issue.;)

The realroad system actually prevents the track surface from being even more detailed (realroad can't function). toebee or Lilski discovered something along those lines when playing around with Riverside

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok. Bought it. Tested it. Did it in VR no less lol.

First impressions.

The Hong Kong track looks great.

Car details are really good.

Didn't expect it to only have 2 gears lol. Sorry, never really followed Formula E.

Another big surprise. The steering is 900 degrees. Really? This one really caught me out lol.

The sound. It's unique. Didn't bother me. Actually it suits the car.

The sense of speed. It's definitely there. The acceleration especially in such a narrow track.

The driving. It's not bad. Still getting used to it but not bad at all. The track is very short though. It was over before I even realise it.

Worth the money? Too early to tell but it looks very promising. Very unique no doubt. In terms of quality, their best so far. I'd rate this higher than the GT3 pack. The playback is really really good. Only minus is the really short track.

I think I'll buy the car and do the shorter courses on offer like Gingerman and Brands Hatch. I appreciate the outside the box thinking from rF2 on this project and look forward to updates pending.

Last edited:

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 319 15.4%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 221 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 214 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 163 7.9%
  • < 5 years