rFactor 2 Update Deployed in Preparation of Formula E DLC Drop Next Week

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
rF2 Formula E DLC 3.jpg

rFactor 2 has received a new update today to both DX9 and DX11 branches, paving the way for the new Formula E DLC coming to the simulation early next week.

Not massive in size but certainly rather curious, the new rFactor 2 build update deployed today by Studio 397 lays the foundations for the inclusion of electric racing in the simulation going forward, starting with the official Formula E 2017/18 season DLC that is scheduled to drop into the Steam Store very early next week.

If you are interested to know what the new Formula E DLC feels like out on circuit we have something that might interest you... On Wednesday 29th around 20:30 GMT we will be streaming a talk and drive interview with Marcel Offermans as we check out the new cars and tracks. Keep an eye out at RD in the next day or two for more details...

Build 1109 Update Notes

EDIT: Build numbers updated from original S397 post to new numbers revealed today (27.11)

Open Beta DX11 Steam Build ID - 2317443 (rFactor 2 Build 1109)
Default DX9 (OPT-OUT) Steam Build ID - 2317463 (rFactor 2 Build 1109)
  • (DX11) fixed the undercar shadow becoming hard to see at certain low sun angles and reflective road surfaces;
  • Removed an error message in the Launcher when a component already was installed because that's not an error;
  • Onboard controls for changing the engine brake mapping;
  • Physics enhancement to allow building engines that won't stall because they are electric;
  • Added proper playback of transmission sounds on AI/network cars;
  • Physics enhancement to properly generate heat when regenerating energy;
  • Added extra values to display in cockpits and on steering wheels for tyre pressures, temperature, and mixture, boost and brake mapping and brake bias settings;
  • (DX11) ambient undercar shadow fixes so they won't show up on parts of the car, just the ground underneath it.

rFactor 2 is a PC exclusive racing simulation available worldwide via the Steam network.

Check out the rFactor 2 sub forum here at RaceDepartment for all the latest news and discussion with regards to the simulation. You can take part in lively debates with fellow rFactor 2 fans and take part in some great Club and League racing events..!

Like what you see here at RaceDepartment? Don't forget to like, subscribe and follow us on social media!

RaceDepartment YouTube
RaceDepartment Twitter
RaceDepartment Facebook
RaceDepartment Twitch
RaceDepartment Instagram

Looking forward to trying these cars and track in rF2 soon? Let us know your thoughts below!

Last edited:
Ohh fair enough. I do remember reading that before, but it's just an update on the Vette. I like updates but was getting excited thinking of a new GTE :redface:
It is a new GTE car, not an update plus at least one more unnamed car. The existing car is a C6R rather than the C7R; different animals even though they're both "Corvette". And the body panels should be different from a GT3 Calloway C6R. There is a free URD GTE C7r, but that's 3rd party.

I haven't experienced any weird head movement in VR. I'm using HTC vive. Feels just like any other title to me. But everything looks tiny. They really need a world scale adjustment like r3e and pc2.

About FE, can't say that I'm especially excited but who knows maybe they'll be fun to drive.

Re scaling, I don't see anything particularly wrong on any of the major sims on that front, though it can be amusing to make the car tiny sometimes in PC2 :) Don't forget, a modern racing car tends to be very low to the ground, your arse is basically at floor level in most cases.

It is a new GTE car, not an update plus at least one more unnamed car. The existing car is a C6R rather than the C7R; different animals even though they're both "Corvette". And the body panels should be different from a GT3 Calloway C6R. There is a free URD GTE C7r, but that's 3rd party.

Man, I do need to pay more attention. You're right, the existing one is a C6R!! Awesome news then. Wasn't expecting that.
Cheers

These are not the latest build numbers
Should be 2317443 and 2317463
View attachment 224198
rFactor 2 has received a new update today to both DX9 and DX11 branches, paving the way for the new Formula

Open Beta DX11 Steam Build ID - 2317129 (rFactor 2 Build 1109)
Default DX9 Steam Build ID - 2313980 (rFactor )
These are not the latest build numbers as shown in the 397 forums

Last edited:
Is there a special processing filter they run for these screenshots? I am trying the dx11 beta turning everything up and the game still look absolutely pants, it's quite sluggish in VR as well, I keep reinstalling and uninstalling it hoping it will be better than disappointed.

I'll go against the grain here but I find rFactor 2 currently has the best graphics for me personally. Hear me out. The change from DX9 to DX11 looks very subtle the first time you play but the more you play you notice a few things which are not present in other games. Currently what they do best are the new cars and the environment. Basically the shadows and the way it interacts with the cars and other objects. Other games can look a bit cartoonish. Here the way the sun shines on the cars and tracks look very realistic. Sometimes when I drive and the sun transitions to dusk or dawn it looks incredibly majestic. Other games just don't do it correctly. RFactor 2 still have a long way to go though. Especially trees can look like ass. Buildings and some tracks too.

As for VR what I find helps is to set all details to medium and crank shadows to high. This helps a lot in the frame rate. Medium actually looks ok. You don't lose too much in the details but if you still find it lacking, I usually crank up the anisotropic filtering. VR is also a lot stable now compared to when I first tried it. I don't mind that it is using keyboard and mice to navigate and kinda prefer it as I don't have to "relearn" things. It looks exactly like in the desktop.

Last edited:
Other games can look a bit cartoonish. Here the way the sun shines on the cars and tracks look very realistic. Sometimes when I drive and the sun transitions to dusk or dawn it looks incredibly majestic.

You're not alone in this. Yes, other games might look prettier but to the point of looking cartoonish, as you put it. In cars and tracks that are well done rF2 looks more realistic in my eyes.

I agree that I find it has for me the best feel of reality graphics wise, the cars look more detailed and the feeling of being at a race track like Silverstone you feel quiet small on it like you are in a big world.
I like it, I purchased the sim off steam, hated it, refunded....re purchased it (11.99!!!) and over a few nights gave it a shot and man once you start sorting out the settings its a joy it really is.
I have all the sims and love them all but RF2 is just getting better and better.

Is there a special processing filter they run for these screenshots? I am trying the dx11 beta turning everything up and the game still look absolutely pants, it's quite sluggish in VR as well, I keep reinstalling and uninstalling it hoping it will be better than disappointed.

I suspect that those screens where done with everything cranked up, inluding PP in the launcher and at afternoon or morning. At noon the game can look a tad dull, but you need to spend some time in the sim to discover the beauty of it and all the facettes that it delivers. It is actually as with real photography - you get the best shots at low sun angles. Try a race with sped up time scale and changing weather at NOLA in the GT3s or Enduracers and you will be surprised what this engine is capable of, even if it has the image of an ugly duckling. No question, there are still areas that need improvement, but especialy with the weather update I see a big part of the most preasuring issues solved, wich were shadows, reflections and the halfbaken representation of rain. But yeah, it can have some magic moments at times:

365960_20170607150154_1.png

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 228 14.8%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 157 10.2%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 154 10.0%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 117 7.6%
  • < 5 years