rFactor 2 Toban Raceway Park and Howston Dissenter Released

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Image Space Incorporated have released two new pieces of content for rFactor 2 in the form of the 1974 Howston Dissenter and popular rFactor 1 track Toban Raceway Park.

While ISI have been busy showing off plenty of sneak peak images relating to the return of rF1 classic Toban for the last few weeks, perhaps the biggest surprise relating to today's new content release is the 1974 spec Howston Dissenter classic stockcar. The Howston was one of the very first image renders shown by ISI way back in 2012 and makes its much delayed debut in the sim today.

Coming in both road course and speedway configurations, the '74 Dissenter is a reasonably powerful low grip addition to the title that should give drivers an interesting challenge when driven at it's limit.

Featuring a straight-cut 4-speed manual transmission with a wide power band offering ample torque to keep you on your toes, the new addition to ISI's stable of home grown content should provide a satisfying driving experience, while at the same time the reasonably forgiving characteristics of the car could well encourage some nice close online racing.

On the circuit front fan favourite Toban Raceway Park has been totally reworked and updated for it;s debut in rFactor 2. Featuring all the usual goodies such as realroad and graphical improvements like upgraded marshals and enhancements to almost every aspect of the circuits details, perhaps the most interesting aspect of the new release can be found in the fine details produced by the team over at ISI. Toban rF2 has been aged significantly since it's rFactor 1 days and the signs of a lack of upkeep are evident in the new release.

The track comes with seven configurations (six layouts): Long, Long 24 Hours, Long Reverse, Medium, Medium Reverse, Short and Short Reverse.

rFactor 2 Howston Dissenter.jpg rF2 Toban Raceway Park 2.jpg rF2 Toban Raceway Park 3.jpg rF2 Toban Raceway Park.jpg rF2 Howston Dissenter 2.jpg rF2 Howston Dissenter 3.jpg rF2 Howston Dissenter.jpg

Don't forget to check out exclusive interview with ISI and have a look at our rFactor 2 Racing Club right here on RaceDepartment.

Glad to see the classic Toban Raceway brought "up to date" in rFactor 2? How does the Howston feel? What do you think of the new content? Let us know in the comments section below!

Better buildings...better fps...

Actually those two are contradictory. When you add all the structures to the buildings that was proposed in Gui's post, it would reduce FPS big time. The more polygons you add, the less FPS. It's not simply feasible in a race sim to model every building interior and detail perfectly, as opposed to an FPS game where the map is limited to a small area. Modelling all buildings with "realistic" detail would probably require 10 GB of GPU VRAM due to the large area. That's why all sim track artists "cheat" with building detail.

Actually those two are contradictory. When you add all the structures to the buildings that was proposed in Gui's post, it would reduce FPS big time. The more polygons you add, the less FPS. It's not simply feasible in a race sim to model every building interior and detail perfectly, as opposed to an FPS game where the map is limited to a small area. Modelling all buildings with "realistic" detail would probably require 10 GB of GPU VRAM due to the large area. That's why all sim track artists "cheat" with building detail.

Generally speaking you are right, but I can assure you can have both of the two words. There are some cheats on buildings models wich let you have a realistic model without need to have much polygons, you can be credible and near to reality even low poly, the trick is optimization on modelling structure and texturing.

• Deleted member 130869

That's a different Gui, John :p. Guiller is one of the ways Spanish-speakers, possibly from Argentina and parts of Spain, refer as nickname to Guillermo. Either way, I hope the guy didn't get the banhammer for the coincidence!

""Architecture? Really? I can think of a better testimonial for how awesome a track is than people scrutinizing architecture. Carry on then I guess. If anyone needs me I'll be concentrating on driving""

Yep agree, nothing worse than racing for the win and you just keep loosing it under the bridge because your distracted by the dent in the water tank. :rolleyes:

You guys are defending something which don`t look right. Is that important nah not really to many of us but still Guiller has right. What was my post about, buildings and architecture? or was it ISI fanboys defending and justifying everything ISI is doing, like unfinished cars, bad fps, support in ISI forums etc or was it about constructive criticism and how easy it is to get ban in ISI forums.:sleep:

However, Houston Dissenter is released without realistic clutch/tranny/engine model which means that we have one more unfinished car in rFactor2. We were told a new transmission model was coming soon after the release of the Howston G4,G6, and that was 3 years ago.
How realistic is Dissenter? Not even close to real life. How do I know this is simply because I own historic GT car (vette 69)and I am racing with it. Why isn't Dissenter realistic? http://www.racedepartment.com/threa...dissenter-released.119566/page-4#post-2213849 and lack of clutch/tranny/engine model that’s why.:thumbsdown:

That's a different Gui, John :p. Guiller is one of the ways Spanish-speakers, possibly from Argentina and parts of Spain, refer as nickname to Guillermo. Either way, I hope the guy didn't get the banhammer for the coincidence!

Yeah I got lost already, too many forums and nicknames to follow... :rolleyes:

I think this whole discussion about buildings is absurd. The only reason it's even discussed is because rF2 lets you move camera around freely. Pick any of the other sims and you'll mostly find flat buildings with no 3D detail or interior whatsoever. iRacing Nordschleife is the only track I've seen that models buildings on a proper detail level. In other sims you don't even see preview shots of the buildings or structures, because they are that bad from close-up view. If you ask me, ISI should focus even less on buildings and more on the view you see from cockpit or TV cam.

But, but.. ..you mean taking the hyper-sensitiveness away? Cars wouldn't be as exciting to drive and then we HC guys would be screaming "arcade" or "simcade" on every single portal we can find.. :)
I agree but the hyper-sensitiveness can still stay but it just needs to come out and happen in a realistic way rather from the current way which I believe is the reason for some of things I explained in my first post. You can't just have any kind of sensitiveness and say "well I guess it's realistic because it's 'alive' and 'sensitive'" - I used to think like that for years. The sensitiveness has to come out in a realistic way, it has to affect the car and affect it's behavior/dynamics/kinematics in a realistic way. So a physics engine could still keep the sensitiveness but while behaving realistic rather than the sensitiveness being the result, or partly the result, of "holes" in the physics engine which then get ignored because people may then have the mindset of "it's 'alive; and 'sensitive' so that must automatically mean realistic vehicle behavior/dynamics/kinematics".

We were told a new transmission model was coming soon after the release of the Howston G4,G6, and that was 3 years ago.
How realistic is Dissenter? Not even close to real life. How do I know this is simply because I own historic GT car (vette 69)and I am racing with it. Why isn't Dissenter realistic? http://www.racedepartment.com/threads/rfactor-2-toban-raceway-park-and-howston-dissenter-released.119566/page-4#post-2213849 and lack of clutch/tranny/engine model that’s why.:thumbsdown:
Thank you :)

Last edited:
Architecture? Really? I can think of a better testimonial for how awesome a track is than people scrutinizing architecture. Carry on then I guess. If anyone needs me I'll be concentrating on driving.
+1
I am drinking a beer here and giggling to myself a I read this absurdity about the correctness or incorrectness of the architectural models of building that you will drive past flat out.
I better stop in sector 2 of the historic Spa and compare the breed of cows that are standing there mooing with the actual breeds that were common there in the mid 1960s. I mean the cattle in Belgium have some quite unique characteristics be they for dairy or for beef purposes. It would be very sad if ISI just shoved cows down our necks that were not correctly modeled.
I have worked on a farm and know about such things.

Just WOW, people need to go outside and ride a bicycle or go and have a swim or something. Guys its a driving sim. There are farming sims too. Maybe there are architectural sims.
lololololol:roflmao:

+1
I am drinking a beer here and giggling to myself a I read this absurdity about the correctness or incorrectness of the architectural models of building that you will drive past flat out.
I better stop in sector 2 of the historic Spa and compare the breed of cows that are standing there mooing with the actual breeds that were common there in the mid 1960s. I mean the cattle in Belgium have some quite unique characteristics be they for dairy or for beef purposes. It would be very sad if ISI just shoved cows down our necks that were not correctly modeled.
I have worked on a farm and know about such things.

Just WOW, people need to go outside and ride a bicycle or go and have a swim or something. Guys its a driving sim. There are farming sims too. Maybe there are architectural sims.
lololololol:roflmao:

Take one more beer and let us know you thoughts also about why Houston Dissenter is released without realistic clutch/tranny/engine model and why have one more unfinished car in rFactor2.
Rf2 is driving sim isn't it. :coffee::giggle::roflmao:

Last edited:
;):whistling:
Take one more beer and let us know you thoughts also about why Houston Dissenter is released without realistic clutch/tranny/engine model and why have one more unfinished car in rFactor2.
Rf2 is driving sim isn't it. :coffee::giggle::roflmao:
And its my job to do that because of?
Oh since i dont see how architecture is so mission critical that makes me. "Fan boy".
Life must be so simple in black and white.

So if you have a Spa version with a medieval castle as pit would be ok for you?
Also I will let notice you we talked about modelling proper surrounds for better immersion and even better performances (when possible)

;):whistling:
And its my job to do that because of?
Oh since i dont see how architecture is so mission critical that makes me. "Fan boy".
Life must be so simple in black and white.

Because of you are totally missing the point and trying to justify something which don`t look right to guy (Guillier) who has passion to tracks and rFactor2. Is architecture important, not really to many of us but still Guiller has right.
Mod Edit: Off topic

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back