rFactor 2 "The Road Ahead" DX11 Update.. err Update..

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
rFactor 2 DX11 Update .jpg

Studio 397 have revealed more about the development plans for the new rFactor 2 DX11 update build released earlier this week.

In something of an impressively fast response, Studio 397 have already released several small update hotfixes to the new DX11 build of rFactor 2 - reportedly offering improvements in framerates for all users and especially those running AMD graphics cards.

Studio 397 have promised to continue pushing out quick hotfix updates to the game, accessible as part of the Steam Beta branch found within the Steam Library as the studio look to rectify some of the reported issues being suffered by a large proportion of players who have downloaded the most recent build of the software.

You can read the update in full below where you will also find the link for the Studio 397 thread detailing the change logs from all the released hotfix patches.

Regular Updates
Our strategy in the upcoming weeks will be to release small updates often. Whenever we fix an issue, we’ll quickly test it internally and push a new build, so you can confirm that it is indeed fixed. This way we might end up pushing one or more builds every day. On our forum we will keep a changelog as we publish those builds. To make it easier to report issues, we have added a “Contact Support” button to the Launcher (top right of the main window) and, for performance related issues, we added a feature that allows you to collect performance data in a file that you can send along with your report.

To enable the capture of performance data, please first press Ctrl+F to display the framerate information (which we’ve extended a bit). Then, as instructed on screen, press your Left-Shift+SPACE to start capturing data. After a little while, the capture will end and you get a file in your UserData\Log folder called PerfLog_DATETIME.txt which you can send to us along with your report. Then you can turn off the display by pressing Ctrl+F again.

Content Updates
In the mean time our content team is working hard on making more of the stock content available to you. Our plan here is to stick to roughly a weekly schedule for delivering updates. Those will be a bit bigger in size, and we will deliver them to both the stable DX9 build and the open beta simultaneously. Content updates will obviously also contain information about exactly what content gets updated.

Beta Labels
If you’re currently running the open beta release, you are on “v1108-dx11-open-beta” and this is the label we will be regularly updating as we address more and more issues. If for some reason this build is not working for you at all, after reporting it, you can optionally switch to the “v1108-dx11-open-beta-last-stable” build, which will point to an older build. If that does not work, you can obviously choose to temporarily “opt-out” of the beta releases altogether and go back to the stable release until we release another update.

If you have any further questions, don’t hesitate to get in touch with us on our forum or on Discord.

rFactor 2 can be purchased from the Steam platform right now and is available exclusively for PC.

Check out the rFactor 2 sub forum here at RaceDepartment for all the latest news and discussion with regards to the simulation. You can take part in lively debates with fellow rFactor 2 fans and take part in some great Club and League racing events..! Head over to the forum now and share the love this simulation so very much deserves...

Have the latest rF2 hotfix updates improved your experience, either in DX11 or using VR devices? Let us know your opinion in the comments section below!

Just had a good quality half hour using Rift VR on Lime Rock with various cars, the performance seems good to me and the VR effects work well. A couple things that helped me get the best out of VR:

- Ran the full Steam VR setup again. Getting the floor height spot on helped a lot with head position in the cars and made the driving position spot-on, especially in the single seaters.
- Turned the head physics to 0% and head vibration off - these helped massively reduce the on screen 'bounce' for me and stopped me feeling VR sickness. I was able to run far longer today with no ill effects.

Lime Rock seems like a good track to get the VR setup, the single seaters are a real wow, the Formula ISI 2012, in particular, gives a great sitting in the cockpit feel, the little Skip Barber is good too, the dash is a very flat in VR but the feel of sliding the little machine by overwhelming the skinny tyres feels right to me. The Megane World Trophy has much better depth and 3D feel in the cockpit than the other cars (a few issues with bloom off the instruments aside) and again the feel of hustling the car while looking through the depth of the apex feels realistic to me.

So overall the VR depth and elevation feel is up there with the rest of the simulators, the close-up image quality inside and outside of the car seems clear too. However the interior of the cars and the driver models need some work, and I'm being extra polite saying it that way. I also tried the Corvette C6 and while the car itself is fun enough to drive the driver arms and hands look like something from a 1980's zombie apocalypse. A small point I know but one that breaks the immersion. Overall though a good start and I like how everything works, options and driving the car inside the Rift headset.

Just had a good quality half hour using Rift VR on Lime Rock with various cars, the performance seems good to me and the VR effects work well. A couple things that helped me get the best out of VR:

- Ran the full Steam VR setup again. Getting the floor height spot on helped a lot with head position in the cars and made the driving position spot-on, especially in the single seaters.
- Turned the head physics to 0% and head vibration off - these helped massively reduce the on screen 'bounce' for me and stopped me feeling VR sickness. I was able to run far longer today with no ill effects.

Lime Rock seems like a good track to get the VR setup, the single seaters are a real wow, the Formula ISI 2012, in particular, gives a great sitting in the cockpit feel, the little Skip Barber is good too, the dash is a very flat in VR but the feel of sliding the little machine by overwhelming the skinny tyres feels right to me. The Megane World Trophy has much better depth and 3D feel in the cockpit than the other cars (a few issues with bloom off the instruments aside) and again the feel of hustling the car while looking through the depth of the apex feels realistic to me.

So overall the VR depth and elevation feel is up there with the rest of the simulators, the close-up image quality inside and outside of the car seems clear too. However the interior of the cars and the driver models need some work, and I'm being extra polite saying it that way. I also tried the Corvette C6 and while the car itself is fun enough to drive the driver arms and hands look like something from a 1980's zombie apocalypse. A small point I know but one that breaks the immersion. Overall though a good start and I like how everything works, options and driving the car inside the Rift headset.

You know what keeps freaking me out in VR? When the hand comes off the wheel at barely 180degrees :D It's a very minor thing but can catch your eye and thus makes it distracting, but no means an important issue but one I hoipe will be looked at in the future months/years.

Well, abit gutted
I was running the DX11 at 1080 downsampled from 4K, I was getting about 150fps and silky smooth gameplay.
I bought a 4K TV today and started to run native 4K resolution, I still get around 90fps but the gameplay is quite stuttery now, does anyone have a fix?

The guy at my local sim center says a lot of the FPS woes people are suffering from is because many didn't follow instructions from ISI in regards to deleting certain files within the rF2 root folder.

It's 2017 and we really shouldn't be having to muck about with files, deleting folders or shaders to get a game up and running and looking modern, but I guess that's how they roll.

It's 2017, and still the meaning of Beta is *whoosh* right over some peoples heads. :)

I wish I had a "local sim center" ...

We can't reproduce what you're seeing in that screenshot you took. Can you provide more information about the exact layout, settings you used, etc.?

This is what we see:
View attachment 189331
I've only been using official content since the DX11 update...so all tracks and cars were un-modded.
The anomaly occurred during a session resume from the previous evening.
I'll try running it again to see if I can duplicate it.

DX11 Stable version still dont working properly with x64 version, no upscaling too. Only if forced 32 bit, but 25-32 fps only. My card is Sapphire R9 290 .

Most probably you still have some leftover x64 plugins interfering with DX11, that's the logical reason why it only works in 32-bit, as those plugins get automatically disabled in 32-bit. Have a look into the folder:

\Steam\SteamApps\common\rFactor 2\Bin64\Plugins

will have to give this a try now they've released some updates....take it the best thing to do would be to uninstall the dx9 game then reinstall it choosing the dx11 beta ?,that way I wouldn't have to mess about deleting files
to delete the original DX9 do I uninstall the game and then choose DX11 beta branch before reinstalling or what's the easiest way? I mean that if you uninstall and then just reinstall won't it start with the default package.

And if I download the DX11 branch only does that only include already updated tracks/cars I wonder?

Also I have mods that are not in Workshop such as payware URD, would have to manually replace at some point I guess, assuming they update them ;)

should I unsubscribe to all the dx9 workshop content I have before downloading the dx11 beta?

DX11 optimised content work fine. I have an average of 125+FPS with a 3400x1400 resolution. Everything else is a kind of sketchy. Every DX9 tracks or cars combo give me different results from 25 fps to 125+fps. Keep Post Effects option to None with the DX9 content for better results.I am just running the optimised stuff. Less headaches. Smooth with no silly artefacts.

Last edited:

Latest News

Are you buying setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back