rFactor 2 "The Road Ahead" DX11 Update.. err Update..

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
rFactor 2 DX11 Update .jpg

Studio 397 have revealed more about the development plans for the new rFactor 2 DX11 update build released earlier this week.

In something of an impressively fast response, Studio 397 have already released several small update hotfixes to the new DX11 build of rFactor 2 - reportedly offering improvements in framerates for all users and especially those running AMD graphics cards.

Studio 397 have promised to continue pushing out quick hotfix updates to the game, accessible as part of the Steam Beta branch found within the Steam Library as the studio look to rectify some of the reported issues being suffered by a large proportion of players who have downloaded the most recent build of the software.

You can read the update in full below where you will also find the link for the Studio 397 thread detailing the change logs from all the released hotfix patches.

Regular Updates
Our strategy in the upcoming weeks will be to release small updates often. Whenever we fix an issue, we’ll quickly test it internally and push a new build, so you can confirm that it is indeed fixed. This way we might end up pushing one or more builds every day. On our forum we will keep a changelog as we publish those builds. To make it easier to report issues, we have added a “Contact Support” button to the Launcher (top right of the main window) and, for performance related issues, we added a feature that allows you to collect performance data in a file that you can send along with your report.

To enable the capture of performance data, please first press Ctrl+F to display the framerate information (which we’ve extended a bit). Then, as instructed on screen, press your Left-Shift+SPACE to start capturing data. After a little while, the capture will end and you get a file in your UserData\Log folder called PerfLog_DATETIME.txt which you can send to us along with your report. Then you can turn off the display by pressing Ctrl+F again.

Content Updates
In the mean time our content team is working hard on making more of the stock content available to you. Our plan here is to stick to roughly a weekly schedule for delivering updates. Those will be a bit bigger in size, and we will deliver them to both the stable DX9 build and the open beta simultaneously. Content updates will obviously also contain information about exactly what content gets updated.

Beta Labels
If you’re currently running the open beta release, you are on “v1108-dx11-open-beta” and this is the label we will be regularly updating as we address more and more issues. If for some reason this build is not working for you at all, after reporting it, you can optionally switch to the “v1108-dx11-open-beta-last-stable” build, which will point to an older build. If that does not work, you can obviously choose to temporarily “opt-out” of the beta releases altogether and go back to the stable release until we release another update.

If you have any further questions, don’t hesitate to get in touch with us on our forum or on Discord.

rFactor 2 can be purchased from the Steam platform right now and is available exclusively for PC.

Check out the rFactor 2 sub forum here at RaceDepartment for all the latest news and discussion with regards to the simulation. You can take part in lively debates with fellow rFactor 2 fans and take part in some great Club and League racing events..! Head over to the forum now and share the love this simulation so very much deserves...

Have the latest rF2 hotfix updates improved your experience, either in DX11 or using VR devices? Let us know your opinion in the comments section below!

As above start from the bottom and work up, also delete the player.JSON and start with a fresh one, delete the CBASH & SHADERS folders in your usderdata folder so everythings fresh.

Bearing in mind to play with newly released DX11 content as that's best for the Beta phase, mods/tracks which are not updated yet may yeild strange results!
This advice along with the removal of all 64 bit plug-ins got me back to 200 fps at Estoril and Nola.
There is a weird anomaly though.
I resumed a session at Estoril after the update to the new update and the spectators have levitated on one particular corner.

Attachments

• GRAB_001.JPG
    GRAB_001.JPG
    507.1 KB · Views: 292
Last edited:
The guy at my local sim center says a lot of the FPS woes people are suffering from is because many didn't follow instructions from ISI in regards to deleting certain files within the rF2 root folder.

It's 2017 and we really shouldn't be having to muck about with files, deleting folders or shaders to get a game up and running and looking modern, but I guess that's how they roll.
Only if you want to run a beta! If you don't like "mucking" around then just avoid anything that says beta.

Edit: They already released 4 small patches today (for DX11 beta), looks like they're determined to make improvements and squash bugs ASAP.

For me personally I'm just going to run the DX9 version for now as there are fewer issues and the performance is more stable. No way in hell am I going to be able to do RDLMS competently if I've got no fuel consumption info on screen. :D

I tried VR. It worked briefly today, but was inconsistent. I had a really hard time getting any decent frame rates and the detail inside the cars was pretty bad. It is a beta, so i'll give them the benefit of the doubt and hope it improves.

Fullscreen didnt work with the first update. I guess thats what he means.
Before I ticked "Enable G-Sync in Full Screen and Windowed Mode", I couldn't get Vsync to work at all. Also noticed it only seems to work when the sync is set to "Video", but that's not something new to this build.

Last edited:
Before I ticked "Enable G-Sync in Full Screen and Windowed Mode", I couldn't get Vsync to work at all. Also noticed it only seems to work when the sync is set to "Video", but that's not something new to this build.
I ran "none" (vsync) and adaptive vsync in nvidia control panel and that worked before in rF2. Doesnt work now though. Just tested and i got 55-88FPS now but since vsync isnt kicking in its stuttery.

The guy at my local sim center says a lot of the FPS woes people are suffering from is because many didn't follow instructions from ISI in regards to deleting certain files within the rF2 root folder.

It's 2017 and we really shouldn't be having to muck about with files, deleting folders or shaders to get a game up and running and looking modern, but I guess that's how they roll.

Well the guy you spoke to was probably wrong. There is no evidence that deleting a bunch of files (mainly old DX9 shaders) makes any difference, DX11 compiles its own shaders. If it was critical S397 would surely have mentioned it. The only thing you basically need to do is disable the plugins that rely on DX9, and even from those I've only had 1 or 2 that makes the game crash. People like to think that "fresh" installations make a difference, when it rarely achieves anything useful from software point of view.

This advice along with the removal of all 64 bit plug-ins got me back to 200 fps at Estoril and Nola.
There is a weird anomaly though.
I resumed a session at Estoril after the update to the new update and the spectators have levitated on one particular corner.

Yes disabling them is also good advice, but only the ones that render to the screen, Crew Chief for example works just fine as it's just sound and no visual on screen.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 357 15.7%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 251 11.0%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 243 10.7%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 179 7.9%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 302 13.3%