rFactor 2 Roadmap Released - DX11 and VR Coming May 1st!

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
rF2 DX11 Update 3.jpg

Studio 397 have released the April development roadmap, confirming DX11 and VR for May 1st plus lots of interesting new things coming for rFactor 2...

Fans left disappointed by the slight delay to DX11 and VR implementation in rFactor 2 need worry no more, Studio 397 have last night confirmed the newly proposed May 1st release date for this major new build release is on schedule to meet the internal deadline and find itself released to the public build of rFactor 2 on Steam. As can be evidenced in the included screenshots, the new build update and move to DX11 looks like it should bring a rather significant upgrade to the graphics of the game, as well as hopefully further optimizations to support greater frame rate realization for gamers looking to run the highest graphic settings possible whilst still maintaining a decent FPS result.

As well as the new DX11 build, Studio 397 have also confirmed the much anticipated VR update remains on schedule to join the feature list come May 1st, bringing rFactor 2 in line with fellow simulations Assetto Corsa, Project CARS and RaceRoom Racing Experience.

You can read the full April Dev Blog posting below:

With about a week and a half left until May 1st, it’s time for our monthly update again. We’re sure everybody is looking forward to the new build, and we’re happy to announce that both the DX11 graphics engine and VR support will be released as promised.

DX11
Over the last couple of months, we’ve revealed several development screenshots of the DirectX 11 engine to share with you our enthusiasm for the possibilities it brings. The new engine is not only the basis for our VR implementation, but it also enabled a new, improved HDR tone mapper and a bunch of post effects that greatly enhance the overall atmosphere of the simulation. We tried to strike a balance between using these effects to render the real-world imperfections of cameras while retaining the “first person view” you have when racing. At the same time we kept two very important goals in mind: we needed to ensure that, with the same graphics settings, the DX11 engine is at least as fast as the DX9 engine, and that existing content is still compatible with the new engine, so all the content out there can still be fully enjoyed.

We are quite sure we succeeded in both, and we extensively tested the new graphics engine with our community of beta testers. That said, we want to make sure that everybody is able to run this new build without a hitch, which is why we are making the initial release available as an “open beta.” Starting May 1st, anybody can switch to this new build and try it out. It is fully multiplayer compatible with the DX9 build. If for some reason you run into any problems with the new build, you can easily revert to the previous engine with just one click.

We didn’t just stop at updating the graphics engine, though. While we’re at it, we also updated some of our existing content to DX11, so you can expect the first of a series of Studio 397 updates as well. And you’ll be happy to know, these updates don’t just concern the graphics: in some cases we also made changes to and upgraded the physics. The new graphics engine really lets our content shine. It provides so much improvement that we have decided to postpone releasing any new shaders. To whet your appetite, take a look at these new screenshots showing off the new engine and some of the camera post effects in action:

rF2 DX11 Update 2.jpg
rF2 DX11 Update 1.jpg
rF2 DX11 Update 4.jpg

Virtual Reality
If you have been following us on Facebook, you’ve already enjoyed some teaser shots of our VR implementation. We have since added some features such as support for our HUD, including virtual mirrors, as well as a way to browse the UI in VR mode. Mouse control is enabled for the UI, although we are definitely considering adding other options for controlling the VR interface.

User Interface
We know you are eagerly awaiting the new user interface, and we share your impatience. However, because we want to give you the full experience of the new UI and all its capabilities, we feel it is not quite ready for prime time just yet. Although that means we will ship the first open beta release with our existing UI, it will be upgraded to the new UI once that’s ready for release.

As we announced last month, we are now able to easily push updates, and we will use this ability to quickly release updates to the open beta in the upcoming weeks. Our goal is to ensure that we have a stable release for everybody, allowing us to begin phasing out the DX9 build altogether after a few months. In the meantime, our concern is to ensure that everybody has a fully functioning and compatible version of rFactor 2 to race with.

Content
Work on the Radical continues. With most of the graphics in place, our focus has now shifted to the physics and the sounds for this car. It’s not ready to be unveiled yet, but we can tease you with one of the other new cars that we have started working on soon! Watch our social media.

Modding
The modding community just recently gained access to an early DX11 build, and we released some guidelines for artists to work with the new rendering engine. Expect to see updates of third party content coming soon. In general, the new engine requires modders to make only minor changes. One area we are still working on concerns “plugins” that render directly to the screen. These plugins will not work properly in the first open beta. We are actively looking at improving our implementation of this functionality overall.

rFactor 2 is a racing simulation exclusive to Windows PC.

Additional third party content can be downloaded from a variety of sources, one of which is the RaceDepartment rFactor 2 modding archive. Head over and check out the latest releases for the sim, or alternatively join in the discussion and keep up to date with the latest news at our rFactor 2 sub forum right here at RD. If downloading mods or keeping up to date with the latest news items aren't your thing, you can always sign up to one of our epic Club and League events using the software. We hold regular club racing events in our schedule, however the jewel in our crown is no doubt the RaceDepartment Le Mans Series. This is our premium endurance league using rFactor 2. Head over to the RDLMS forum to find out more!

Looking forward to DX11 and VR? Will this update help move rFactor 2 back in to the spotlight in your opinion? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited:
I'm supremely excited to run this sim in full FPS for the first time since 2013. No seriously. NOTHING AT ALL I did would put the frames (with AI or cars on tracks) at a playable, non-input-lag frame rate.

I'm also supremely excited for the color RED to not look completely stupid!

Can't wait to try. I remember running leagues in Speedracin and it was quite fun....though kinda drab being just one-make races everywhere.

Melanieuk said : subpar, vehicle shaders, like metallic objects, and vehicle tyres that still doesn't look like real rubber, personally I think they should delay the release even further, until everything is done and complete, and maybe release rfactor 2 as a redux title, like many fps developers are doing with their older.

doesnt care if rf2 tyres dont look like rubber as the in pcars , more important that tyres drive like real tyres then that they drive as rubbish in pcars so go to pcars forum and stay there then you be happy and we on RD forum will be more then VERY HAPPY

personaly i think you should delay all your further comment in here .

This is a good step in the right direction, but the competition is stiff right now and I think they still have a lot of ground to cover. The physics are pretty solid, but this game is very clunky to me and lacks in a lot of areas.

How are they gonna make money off the DX11 release? Is there more content coming?

Melanieuk said : subpar, vehicle shaders, like metallic objects, and vehicle tyres that still doesn't look like real rubber, personally I think they should delay the release even further, until everything is done and complete, and maybe release rfactor 2 as a redux title, like many fps developers are doing with their older.

doesnt care if rf2 tyres dont look like rubber as the in pcars , more important that tyres drive like real tyres then that they drive as rubbish in pcars so go to pcars forum and stay there then you be happy and we on RD forum will be more then VERY HAPPY

personaly i think you should delay all your further comment in here .
You just keep on chewing on this...if you don't like wat @melanieuk has to say, just put the name on the ignore list and you don't even see what he/she writes, done. Saves a lot of time and frustration on your side.

Last edited:
Very much looking forward to the new graphics, but there is a lot of updating left to do, just to get rF2 to the level of AMS (graphics excepted). I hope there are lots of people working lots of hours on these things. Only when rF2 is a polished, consistent-quality product will it be able to compete. If it has superior "sim-ness," I will be happy to accept less than bleeding-edge graphics or VR or UI. If not, it's a bit of a lost dog because it won't stand-out in any category relative to the competition that each excel in at least one major category.

At least they are making progress and going in the right direction. I wish S397 well in getting there fast enough that it matters for long-term success.

Looking forward to the update, I wish S397 all the best as this is such a major upgrade it's almost a new title.

I won't be too hard on ISI though, I think they did they best they could and then a lack of resources, money, man power (however you want to describe it) stopped the game in it's tracks. It will take time to implement new features, test them, etc.

I am for one glad it's getting the new lease of life it deserves. The 24hour races will look spectacular if the screen shots are anything to go by.

You just keep on chewing on this...if you don't like wat @melanieuk has to say, just put the name on the ingnore list and you don't even see what he/she writes, done. Saves a lot of time and frustration on your side.
mind your own business i am not telling you what you should or shouldnt write <snip>

mod edit - Please try an keep it reasonably friendly - thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Personally, I have been waiting (at times less than) patiently for VR support. For me the game scores highest in most the departments I find important; handling/physics, FFB, AI, & the general immersion of being in a race or involved in a race weekend. To that list I'm now hoping I can add VR implementation.

Well to me the physics are not the best, you don't need me to tell you that, just read the Two most recent polls Race Department as conducted, rFactor 2 cars was voted the most worst, and in a very recent poll.

The most worst you say? Didn't know that something like that ever existed? :p:D

But seriously , just for the reason, that some people struggle with the car or don't find it to be fun to drive doesn't make it a bad car from the physics simulation standpoint. After all it was very good for Luciano Bachetta, so take it or leave it. I guess alot of people are delusional and expect those entry level cars to be easy to drive but at the end they just bite back for the lightest mistake and require alot of racecraft. If you think that 450 hp don't kick your butt in a very stiff car of 600 kg relying on aerodynamical grip, then you are simply naive. I took it around Sardian Heights today and it's still as good as it used to be.

At the end you will find many more people complaining about certain cars in certain sims, because they struggle with them or just because people have different preferences. It doesn't mean that the physcis are bad. I guess you get alot more Forza or GT drivers complaining about sim cars in general, wich makes this forum poll propably a silent fart in the wind. :D

I love the cockpit view very much, head movements are immersive, makes you feel like you're really inside that car, there's no any other game that has its cockpit view feels like rFactor 2 - neither P-CARS nor AC does such perfect job.

Also, that sound reverb when you're driving closely to a wall - oh dear, my ears almost gone orgasm!

Personally, since I don't own VR and never had any problem with looks ( always thought rf2's graphics natural and crisp and impressive for all the things it shows ) ,I am waiting more the physics updates mentioned.
I would like, dirt pick up, properly physics in wet conditions ( were wet line is not the same as dry ), far better behaviour from tyres in over the limit area ( which is a game kill issue for me and were AC excels ) , better rubber feeling etc .
FFB is already the king just some more control through ui to make it more pure with less effects.

Having better graphics will certainly attract more people and this will hopefully save this impressive game and giving more money and content ( which is poor ) and better quality ( still disappointed by recent Nissan which sounds like a mixer and the 2000 formula that drives unrealistically ).

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 250 15.1%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 167 10.1%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 166 10.0%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 122 7.4%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 229 13.9%