rFactor 2 Roadmap Released - DX11 and VR Coming May 1st!

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
rF2 DX11 Update 3.jpg

Studio 397 have released the April development roadmap, confirming DX11 and VR for May 1st plus lots of interesting new things coming for rFactor 2...

Fans left disappointed by the slight delay to DX11 and VR implementation in rFactor 2 need worry no more, Studio 397 have last night confirmed the newly proposed May 1st release date for this major new build release is on schedule to meet the internal deadline and find itself released to the public build of rFactor 2 on Steam. As can be evidenced in the included screenshots, the new build update and move to DX11 looks like it should bring a rather significant upgrade to the graphics of the game, as well as hopefully further optimizations to support greater frame rate realization for gamers looking to run the highest graphic settings possible whilst still maintaining a decent FPS result.

As well as the new DX11 build, Studio 397 have also confirmed the much anticipated VR update remains on schedule to join the feature list come May 1st, bringing rFactor 2 in line with fellow simulations Assetto Corsa, Project CARS and RaceRoom Racing Experience.

You can read the full April Dev Blog posting below:

With about a week and a half left until May 1st, it’s time for our monthly update again. We’re sure everybody is looking forward to the new build, and we’re happy to announce that both the DX11 graphics engine and VR support will be released as promised.

DX11
Over the last couple of months, we’ve revealed several development screenshots of the DirectX 11 engine to share with you our enthusiasm for the possibilities it brings. The new engine is not only the basis for our VR implementation, but it also enabled a new, improved HDR tone mapper and a bunch of post effects that greatly enhance the overall atmosphere of the simulation. We tried to strike a balance between using these effects to render the real-world imperfections of cameras while retaining the “first person view” you have when racing. At the same time we kept two very important goals in mind: we needed to ensure that, with the same graphics settings, the DX11 engine is at least as fast as the DX9 engine, and that existing content is still compatible with the new engine, so all the content out there can still be fully enjoyed.

We are quite sure we succeeded in both, and we extensively tested the new graphics engine with our community of beta testers. That said, we want to make sure that everybody is able to run this new build without a hitch, which is why we are making the initial release available as an “open beta.” Starting May 1st, anybody can switch to this new build and try it out. It is fully multiplayer compatible with the DX9 build. If for some reason you run into any problems with the new build, you can easily revert to the previous engine with just one click.

We didn’t just stop at updating the graphics engine, though. While we’re at it, we also updated some of our existing content to DX11, so you can expect the first of a series of Studio 397 updates as well. And you’ll be happy to know, these updates don’t just concern the graphics: in some cases we also made changes to and upgraded the physics. The new graphics engine really lets our content shine. It provides so much improvement that we have decided to postpone releasing any new shaders. To whet your appetite, take a look at these new screenshots showing off the new engine and some of the camera post effects in action:

rF2 DX11 Update 2.jpg
rF2 DX11 Update 1.jpg
rF2 DX11 Update 4.jpg

Virtual Reality
If you have been following us on Facebook, you’ve already enjoyed some teaser shots of our VR implementation. We have since added some features such as support for our HUD, including virtual mirrors, as well as a way to browse the UI in VR mode. Mouse control is enabled for the UI, although we are definitely considering adding other options for controlling the VR interface.

User Interface
We know you are eagerly awaiting the new user interface, and we share your impatience. However, because we want to give you the full experience of the new UI and all its capabilities, we feel it is not quite ready for prime time just yet. Although that means we will ship the first open beta release with our existing UI, it will be upgraded to the new UI once that’s ready for release.

As we announced last month, we are now able to easily push updates, and we will use this ability to quickly release updates to the open beta in the upcoming weeks. Our goal is to ensure that we have a stable release for everybody, allowing us to begin phasing out the DX9 build altogether after a few months. In the meantime, our concern is to ensure that everybody has a fully functioning and compatible version of rFactor 2 to race with.

Content
Work on the Radical continues. With most of the graphics in place, our focus has now shifted to the physics and the sounds for this car. It’s not ready to be unveiled yet, but we can tease you with one of the other new cars that we have started working on soon! Watch our social media.

Modding
The modding community just recently gained access to an early DX11 build, and we released some guidelines for artists to work with the new rendering engine. Expect to see updates of third party content coming soon. In general, the new engine requires modders to make only minor changes. One area we are still working on concerns “plugins” that render directly to the screen. These plugins will not work properly in the first open beta. We are actively looking at improving our implementation of this functionality overall.

rFactor 2 is a racing simulation exclusive to Windows PC.

Additional third party content can be downloaded from a variety of sources, one of which is the RaceDepartment rFactor 2 modding archive. Head over and check out the latest releases for the sim, or alternatively join in the discussion and keep up to date with the latest news at our rFactor 2 sub forum right here at RD. If downloading mods or keeping up to date with the latest news items aren't your thing, you can always sign up to one of our epic Club and League events using the software. We hold regular club racing events in our schedule, however the jewel in our crown is no doubt the RaceDepartment Le Mans Series. This is our premium endurance league using rFactor 2. Head over to the RDLMS forum to find out more!

Looking forward to DX11 and VR? Will this update help move rFactor 2 back in to the spotlight in your opinion? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited:
Looking good guys! You've done what ISI should've done pre-release.
Really consider purchasing the game, once the update is out and running.
ISI needs to learn from that and they'll learn best, when the game suddenly sells after they stopped managing it. :D

Mmmmmmm will be reinstalling this on may 1st. No doubt. And hardly considering about getting VR (my only concern about that is the money of the oculus+1080 to have no worries about graphic cards for the next 2-3 years)

Looks nice and I hope this will get more modders to work on content for it.

SCREEEAM!!! graphics graphics, graphics ARE important to you haters that kept saying they are not, especially on a Gmotor engine and just because your favourite sim looked old and dated, it doesn't look better than Assetto Corsa or Project CARS, but why should it, the DOF looks way to strong in those shots, the most important thing for me about rFactor 2 now is that it is "trying" and that's the keyword, its best to look better than Race Room Racing Experience, which is the minimum I expected from the studio.

The lighting system still looks to dark for my liking, I'd like to see the engine running under sunny conditions, where we can actually see how the lighting system as changed or improved on. would love to see a 24 Hour cycle at all times of the days, that the engine can handle of the new directX 11 engine at work. like this
Postpone releasing new shaders?, so that means they haven't reworked the rain and weather effects that looked subpar, vehicle shaders, like metallic objects, and vehicle tyres that still doesn't look like real rubber, personally I think they should delay the release even further, until everything is done and complete, and maybe release rfactor 2 as a redux title, like many fps developers are doing with their older titles, overall looking promising, but not happy about the title still using old dated shaders.

When will we hear what Reiza are doing with their invisible new title, or are they sitting on their arses waiting for someone else to create a new engine for them, doing all the dirty work for them, while they continue to just be content creators, they sure don't have the talent to create their own engine, we shall see.

Last edited:
In the world of videogames, "postponed" often means cancelled. :D

Well, I'd still re-shade the living hell out of it. Thanks to DX11, the performance hit should be tolerable.
Lets hope it doesn't mean its cancelled, updated and realistic shaders are one of the most important areas where Gmotor lacks, I would rather the developers do the job, than use third party software like sweetFX to fill in what the game cant do, still I have high hopes for this new look rFactor 2, looking forward to three games this year, the new improved rFactor2, Project CARS2 and Quake Champions.

SCREEEAM!!! graphics graphics, graphics ARE important to you haters that kept saying they are not, especially on a Gmotor engine and just because your favourite sim looked old and dated, it doesn't look better than Assetto Corsa or Project CARS, but why should it, the DOF looks way to strong in those shots, the most important thing for me about rFactor 2 now is that it is "trying" and that's the keyword, its best to look better than Race Room Racing Experience, which is the minimum I expected from the studio.

The lighting system still looks to dark for my liking, I'd like to see the engine running under sunny conditions, where we can actually see how the lighting system as changed or improved on. would love to see a 24 Hour cycle at all times of the days, that the engine can handle of the new directX 11 engine at work. like this
Postpone releasing new shaders?, so that means they haven't reworked the rain and weather effects that looked subpar, vehicle shaders, like metallic objects, and vehicle tyres that still doesn't look like real rubber, personally I think they should delay the release even further, until everything is done and complete, and maybe release rfactor 2 as a redux title, like many fps developers are doing with their older titles, overall looking promising, but not happy about the title still using old dated shaders.

When will we hear what Reiza are doing with their invisible new title, or are they sitting on their arses waiting for someone else to create a new engine for them, doing all the dirty work for them, while they continue to just be content creators, they sure don't have the talent to create their own engine, we shall see.

Could you please stop insulting rf2 and its development? Whenever there's rf2 involved, there you come. You already managed to delay the RDLMS with the Imola issues you so kindly put to light.
What is your point here? Do you even play rf2? Shurely not on RD since you're not even a premium member, but here you are so punctual in providing your doubtly useful feedback. I really wonder if there's someone behind this account with some sort of purpose or just someone so eager to waiste his/her time to ruin otherone's game.

Could you please stop insulting rf2 and its development? Whenever there's rf2 involved, there you come. You already managed to delay the RDLMS with the Imola issues you so kindly put to light.
What is your point here? Do you even play rf2? Shurely not on RD since you're not even a premium member, but here you are so punctual in providing your doubtly useful feedback. I really wonder if there's someone behind this account with some sort of purpose or just someone so eager to waiste his/her time to ruin otherone's game.
he (opps she) is just like any troll sitting under a bridge waiting to hear the foot steps of little children ready to pounce.

I own rFactor 2, so I will continue to be critical of it, I only want it to be at a level as other modern racing titles visually, there's nothing wrong with that.

And now to your second comment, if you want to cross that bridge. let me Quote it " You already managed to delay the RDLMS with the Imola issues "
Don't you dare blame me for the delay of RDLMS for using stolen assets from other competing developers. you might be trying to sound understanding with your "you so kindly put to light" don't wash, I couldn't careless if those that signed up for the race where angry that the race was cancelled, who ever uploaded those assets to the RDLMS servers should have known better than to use stolen ripped assets, blame them don't you dare blame me, for spotting what the admins here should have spotted and put a end to instantly, god knows how long this as been going on.
Ruining every ones game....what?, how does my comment ruin every ones game, really? are you for real, my comment stops you from enjoying the games you play, there are loads of negative comments on all the sims I play, but they sure don't ruin my enjoyment of the titles, and how about you make an official complaint to race department telling them I should not comment on the comment section of race department because I'm not a premium member, how about extending that, to all readers that visit and comments on all race department news, who dont also have a premium account, stop them from commenting as well, or are you just bitter, because the RDLMS race had to be cancelled because of something that had nothing to do with me.

the DOF looks way to strong in those shots
I think those screenshots are just sort of DX11 tech demo.

One area we are still working on concerns “plugins” that render directly to the screen. These plugins will not work properly in the first open beta. We are actively looking at improving our implementation of this functionality overall.
This is a big minus to me... I really can't stand how ugly the default HUD looks. I'm so used to GID plugin interface now that I just can't drive without it (RF, SCE, AMS, RF2).

Also I'm really curious about this technical thing for a very long time... If I look at those lights in game (very noticeable in RF2, present in PCars, but headlights in PCars look more complex than that first RF2 screenshot in this post), they are all the same shape: 3 light rays (or maybe should be called 6 rays) stretching out, and all lights have these rays going the same direction. I'm always interested in knowing why they look like this in game from a technical standpoint.

Personally some framerate improvement with DX11 is what I look forward the most.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 84 7.4%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 122 10.7%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 166 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 318 27.8%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 448 39.2%