rFactor 2 Roadmap Focuses on Formula E, Rain and Mixed Reality VR

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
rF2 November Development Roadmap 1.jpg

The latest 'Development Roadmap' from Studio 397 was released recently and it is full of interesting insights in to the future of rFactor 2...

Firstly sorry for the delay reporting this roadmap release here at RaceDepartment, I've had a few Christmas related things irl that have monopolised my time since Friday night (basically I got drunk and due to advancing years cannot recover like I could when I was 18). So after much toilet bowl talking I'm back, and catching up fast!

Despite 2017 rapidly drawing to a close and many businesses slowing down ready for the festive period it looks like Studio 397, the team of developers responsible for the continual advancement of rFactor 2, are still very much hard at work behind the scenes bringing plenty of improvement and enhancements to this outstanding simulation.

In the latest update to the community released on the final day of November, the team have confirmed plenty of work is still underway back at base, with an expected December release on the cards for the much anticipated new "rain build" of rFactor 2, more info on the brand new Formula E DLC and some interesting progress in the world of Virtual Reality..

Read on to find out exactly what S397 have up their sleeve for this venerable simulation in the immediate future...

The November Development Roadmap from Studio 397 can be viewed in full below:

Last month we reflected on 2017 and hinted at new content. Earlier this week we announced the Formula E Energize Pack, bringing electric racing to rFactor 2. This weekend you can all watch the season opening double header race in Hong Kong. We announced a hotlap competition, which gives you a chance to win some exclusive Formula E goodies, or show your friends how much better you are than them!

Some of you might have watched the talk and drive that Marcel did on RaceDepartment. For those of you that didn’t, you missed out on some free copies of the Formula E pack. We’ll summarize some of the new things that were discussed there.

Obviously a lot of questions centered around the Formula E content. We’ll release an update of that in a week or two that will include the new team liveries that we were not able to show you ahead of the opening race, and we’ll also provide a code update that will give you a better insight into the amount of battery you have left, and are using per lap. Since this part of the strategy is such an integral part of racing these cars, we feel an improvement is in order so you don’t have to rely on third party plugins. Incidentally, talking about third party plugins, Crew Chief already released a code update that supports Formula E. If you have not checked it out yet, we can definitely recommend you do so!

We’re also ready to announce that we will be making DX11 the default before Christmas. As an intermediate step before we come with a new HUD system for plugins, we’ll focus on providing a default HUD that includes a lot of the features you have been enjoying in third party plugins. One of these is a new dial that show you the time delta compared to your best lap, but we have a few other new things and enhancements planned. Part of this DX11 update will be the inclusion of the “rain update” that we previewed at SimExpo. We’ve since perfected it. We’ve also improved the ambient lighting, producing subtle differences that give the overall image a slightly more dramatic look. At the moment we are working feverishly to update all our cars and tracks to make maximum use of these new features. We’ll incrementally release those updates, but anticipate to already have a substantial part done before the end of this year. The shots below are still work in progress, but show you what we’ve been doing to make the rain look better on both cars and tracks.

Another announcement is that we officially support all the new Windows Mixed Reality headsets, check it here. In 2018 we will focus on more DX11 related updates, both in terms of performance and fidelity. As announced, that means we’re deprecating DX9, meaning it will still be available, but it won’t be updated anymore. This gives us more bandwidth to focus on the new engine, which should be a huge benefit for everybody.

Wrapping up this month’s update, we all wish you a happy holiday season and we’ll be back with one final roadmap update close to the end of the year. Of course we will be back in 2018. Happy simracing!

rFactor 2 is available from Steam as a PC exclusive title now. The Formula E Energize DLC can be picked up for 8.70 from the Steam Store HERE.

Check out the rFactor 2 sub forum here at RaceDepartment for all the latest news and discussion with regards to the simulation. You can take part in lively debates with fellow rFactor 2 fans and take part in some great Club and League racing events..! Head over to the forum now and share the love this simulation so very much deserves...

Like what you see here at RaceDepartment? Don't forget to like, subscribe and follow us on social media!

RaceDepartment YouTube
RaceDepartment Twitter
RaceDepartment Facebook
RaceDepartment Twitch
RaceDepartment Instagram

Are you pleased with the content of the latest rFactor 2 Development Roadmap? Looking forward to the new wet weather build? Interested in the new wave of VR headset support? What would you like to see the studio focus on next? Let us know in the comments section below!

Are you pleased with the content of the latest rFactor 2 Development Roadmap?
I don't know. Was there anything new other than the VR stuff?

There is nothing in it really.
DX11 going to default since September.
Rain is coming for weeks now.
They are updating the stuff for DX11 since the majority of the year now.
New hud is coming for months now.

Looking forward to the new wet weather build?

Unless they include a performance patch into the new wet weather build I'm unsure if my pc will be able to handle it.

Interested in the new wave of VR headset support?

pfff...

What would you like to see the studio focus on next?
Honestly? Don't know.

I would like to see finished one by an other. As for example the excellent driving GT3 Pack WITHOUT any livrary ... for me this a no go as everybody paid for the cars and we still have to use names like "Test Driver X" ... So please S397, bring them to an end before selling other content :(.

yeah I love what their doing to rf2. but Seriously they need to complete/polish up stuff that's released. It feels almost where at the same place ISI were. I know bringing money in is equally important;. But just finish content please. Its what makes raceroom so great its content is at least 95% there.

it works hard and in a good way !! :thumbsup:
from the point of view of the players it is never fast enough :D

N°1 - the new UI and especially the new competitive online!!! (IR style)
N°2 - DX11 & VR performance optimization!!!
N°3 - correction and update of the old content!
N°4 - DLC of famous tracks (SPA, Le Mans, etc. laser if possible or minimum of HK level!)
N°5 - DLC Cars with official team livery!! (DTM, GTE, Super GT, Old series!!)

the Studio397 is listening and very present with the players (forum, discord and game!) it's great we must continue to listen to us and explain! :thumbsup:

Roadmaps are Roadmaps, I take them for what they are and if they have surprises then great, if it's information I already knew that's fine. I have found the more technical pieces in previous Roadmaps quite interesting so hope to read more of them in the future.

Yes very much so but only if the AI are up to scratch, if they're on par with the *other* game with poor wet weather AI then I'll be disappointed....very very disappointed. As for the effects themselves well they're very much overdue after ISI originally added Wet Weather, they look good in screenshots but that's not even half the story, it's obviously hard and complicated work to get right and I applaud S397 for "delaying" the update to make it the best they can. I'd much rather have it later and better than earlier and not good.

I already own a Rift so to see support for the new Wave of VR is a good thing if it bumps the numbers up, I spoke to Marcel about this on Discord and it wasn't actually any more work for them to do as they already support SteamVR which these headsets run through, so that is nice.

A few areas in order of preference:

- Immediate future would be an FFB Clipping tool for DX11, something that is so very much needed by many but not high on the priority list which is annoying but Marcel knows my feelings on this so I'll shut up now :D

- AI, AI, AI and then AI. Since S397 took over they have stopped using Talent Files and have remain tight lipped on the reasons as to why, it's about time we got to know exactly why they have dropped this (IMO Great) feature and what they are planning for it next. Remaining silent on the issue is annoying as releasing half-baked car packs (GT3 Pack Test Driver #1....please!) without decent Talent Files means the AI is a bit stale and samey, the Talent Files give their own individual identity so I really would like to know what is going on in this area. Just because the AI in RF2 are very good and highly regarded as one of the best in the business should not mean they become overlooked, so whatever S397 have planned I hope it's a decent look with decent reasons, I feel very strongly about this area so the silence is somewhat deafening!

- Finally I would like them to focus on Final Polish, unfortunately most of the content releases havn't been Finished (poor AI, lack of Skins, graphical issues not resolved etc) to a good standard and they've got the "half-baked" flag from some corners of the community that plagued ISI before them. They essentially need someone very anal about it to flag up the Final Polish before content is released, they need someone like me! (but not actually me). Don't get me wrong, the releases have been very very good, the GT3 Pack/FE/Hong Kong are prime examples of top quality craftsmanship & physics but other content areas are left wanting that bit of extra love at the end before release, I hope this changes for the future and that the FE was the first sign of this.

Are you pleased with the content of the latest rFactor 2 Development Roadmap? Looking forward to the new wet weather build?
rF2 is in good hands with Studio 397...looking forward to the Rain etc as the above screen shot looks promising...overall very happy with rF2 and it's continued development so in a year or so we should have one 'kick ass' Sim...LOL

Last edited:
I guess for Christmas I'm going to buy the GT3 Pack DLC. I see only positive comments about it.
But it's a pity there're no official liveries, so I really hope they will create them eventually.
What about the AI talent files?
Would be amazing to have the whole package of GT3s and also GTE cars with real life AI drivers individual talent files.

What I'm looking forward to, is the new UI. It will really give rFactor2 a boost towards the future together with the DX11 Final Version.

But the thing I'm really really really looking forward to, although Off-Topic, is this: IS THIS REAL?!? :inlove::D

If it's the real deal, at that price, I'm going to buy the whole package, 2 wheel rims, DD wheel and pedals! Please please please make it real...
https://feelvr.game/

• ronniej

Hmm, well, I'm not interested in Formula E, nor do I race in rain, and have gotten by without VR so far.

I still hope things go the way the Studio hopes for, but it's starting to look like........like..........:sleep:

yeah I love what their doing to rf2. but Seriously they need to complete/polish up stuff that's released. It feels almost where at the same place ISI were. I know bringing money in is equally important;. But just finish content please.

Last edited by a moderator:
Suddenly Formula E is the primary focus? UI not even mentioned? Nothing about making that thing called FF less magical to set up, either? Upgrading all existing cars/tracks to dx11 a bit on the back burner too?

Wonder who's pumped some money into Studio 397 recently, as to shuffle their priorities from the last 12 months. I know I'll stop, in the meantime.

I don't know. Was there anything new other than the VR stuff?

There is nothing in it really.
DX11 going to default since September.
Rain is coming for weeks now.
They are updating the stuff for DX11 since the majority of the year now.
New hud is coming for months now.

Unless they include a performance patch into the new wet weather build I'm unsure if my pc will be able to handle it.

pfff...

Honestly? Don't know.

I'd like them to finish all the half-finished projects that've been dragging on for months: the Radical patch, the new UI, the end version of DX11. And a particular beef of mine: Why doesn't an outfit that took their name from LeMans endurance racing have a modern version of LeMans as default content? Instead we have a third-party addon with the track layout from 1996 which doesn't really look nice at all with DX11. Go take a look at the version in PC2....
Rf2: a never-ending story...every road map announces something new, but nothing ever gets finished. And now Formula Vacuum cleaner, woopydoo...ZZZZZZZzzzzzzzz.....:thumbsdown:

Last edited:
Its fair enough the comments about RF2, but it isn't a AAA title. I never went into RF2 expecting anything other than what i got.
To be honest i picked it up half price just so i could have a comparison to other titles which at the time all i heard was how good RF2 tyre model was.
First few hours with it i hated it, as someone who has driven racing cars the grip was stupidly bad.
But once i worked out the 'green' track cold tyres mess and once i got some heat and rubber down it came alive for me.
I love it maybe for the reasons many hate it, I love the fact its not a AAA title, i love the fact its a science project.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back