rFactor 2 Review: keeping up with the times?

GRAB_009.JPG

We wanted to take a look at rFactor 2's status in 2015, three years after the release of the first open beta. ISI's new title was initially surrounded by mixed reactions, but what's the story after so many updates and new content releases?

First things first: rFactor 2 is daunting. The sim's main strength - that is, the incredibly wide range of options and variables - can feel a tad too much for the newbie. There really is a lot of stuff to delve into, not only in terms of gameplay and simulation options but also in terms of mods and configuration files. Do stick with it though, because there's gold to be found in rFactor 2.

So, let's start with the surface, that is the graphics. I personally doubt the average simracer cares much about graphics, but after mainstream hits like Project Cars and Assetto Corsa, it's hard not to take this aspect into consideration. Well, it's not bad! RF2 can be pretty system-intensive, so Joe Average will probably have to dial the settings down, but it looks pretty decent. While not the best-looking racer by a stretch, it's perfectly capable of painting great racing scenes. It does look more natural than the first builds, as well.

Some circuits are clearly simpler and outdated, but the developers are currently working on revamping the older tracks in the roster, as well as updating the cars - which brings me to the meatier stuff: the car roster. The game content has to be downloaded through rFactor 2's fantastic launcher and content manager, but the dev team has apparently switched to a new content format, so some older cars have to be downloaded from the official website. ISI is in the process of updating those to the newer format, making them available from within the launcher, however, there's no ETA yet.

GRAB_010.JPG

One of the main flaws is that the content is kind of sparse, and always has been since launch. I believe a real-world racing series would gain rFactor 2 quite a bit of visibility, but it seems that ISI is indeed working on that. We have in fact managed to obtain pre-release access to the Stock Cars, and those certainly represent a positive step towards a more focused content roster. The dev team has recreated the 2015 NASCAR season with three different car models, obviously with fantasy car names and teams.

And oh boy, are the Stock Cars a blast. They only have four gears, but are capable of ludicrous speed and acceleration - oval racers will want to keep this in their radar. They also sound positively raucous and brutal. At the moment, only Indianapolis and Mountain Peak Speedway are suitable for the Stock Cars, but we could assume ISI is working to add more locations to go with them.

Circuits share the same philosophy as cars; they're diverse, if a bit sparse. The more recent releases are very high-quality, with very detailed trackside areas and landscapes: they're functional and look good in most circumstances, which is what ultimately matters. There's something intoxicating about ISI's replica of Monaco '66, and that circuit manages to exude a lovely vintage atmosphere – along with being an incredibly fun layout. It's more or less like the current street circuit, but faster and more streamlined.

Special mention for Lime Rock Park, which is just a great circuit that goes well with many of the official cars, and the newly released Atlanta Motorsports Park - a very original and technical addition to the roster.

GRAB_012.JPG

On-track, any notion of content lacking focus is immediately forgotten. This is where rFactor 2 really shines: the detail of the Force Feedback model is immediately apparent. While I've read many people say that FFB response is something subjective, and I tend to agree, there's a degree of nuance here that's hard to replicate in other simulators. Behind the wheel, it's always easy to know what the car is doing. Users with older wheels will have to tone it down a notch to avoid jolts and clipping, but after fiddling a bit with the configuration files (something rFactor 1 players are familiar with) it won't be an issue at all.

The FFB works in tandem with the game's dynamic road and weather features: driving on worn tires or on a wet patch of road will have noticeable effects on the steering. I don't feel the need to spend many words on the Real Road feature as well, as it's pretty straightforward and it's something unique to the game. It just works, and it adds another layer of strategy and detail to the simulation. Additionally, ISI is working on a revamp of the weather system, also adding more visual effects (like water on the windscreen, which is oddly missing here).

RF2's main selling points are online and endurance racing. However, the game's online focus doesn't detract from the AI, which is quite simply the best around. While titles like Stock Car Extreme and Raceroom feature very good CPU-controlled opponents, this winds it up a notch. I've seen AI cars battle at the Monaco hairpin, exchanging clean passes and blocking, and it was absolutely brilliant.

Obviously, its competitors are always evolving and getting updated too, but as it stands I'd argue rFactor 2 has the best AI and feature set of any sim. In terms of content, things are steadily improving, but its rivals have a bit of an edge here. Do note that some major mods like DRM and Enduracers are making its way to RF2, so that might spark a new surge in the modding scene.

In conclusion, rFactor 2 does a lot right. If you have the setup, and the willingness to fiddle around a bit with configuration, then you'll be rewarded with an unique, and extremely rewarding, experience. And if you're on the fence, there's a pretty decent demo available here.

GRAB_004.JPG

Full disclosure: ISI has very kindly provided us with review codes for the game and pre-release access to the Stock Cars. I also haven't had the chance to test the netcode, as I've been having unrelated connection problems.

Last edited:
I'd personally rather that they leave GT stuff for other sims to produce. Cars that don't need the fidelity can be fine in sims that don't have it.

I'd much rather have a Dallara312 and a GP2/11, superkarts, stock cars and a bunch of open wheelers from different eras.

@Ghoults
ISI have a plan, right from before the start of rF2 they've had this plan.
The plan has had setbacks which has caused a backlog of content to essentially be on hold while core components of the sim were updated.

The backlog is what we have in our hands, not the sum total of all work produced by ISI to date.
Patience is not something that a lot of people are used to in this modern world but one fact remains...

Good work takes time!

for me the weak point in rF2 for now is the ffb. its very heavy weight and weak effects then when u add force u add u start to get clipping and the smooth not help much too the ffb is less worse on cars that have very high caster angle (above 9). Why ISI do the same as Sector3 Studio is doing on R3R have many adjustments for ffb. I can individually can adjust how I want to feel the curbs and others effects.
I felt this way too until I started to explore...
Try adjusting the Controls settings in the Setup Menu (where you do the car setup) it allows you to play and tweak the controller settings for each car. It allows you to make changes on the fly for each individual car and I have found that I am getting good FFB feel. Rumble strips that actually rumble etc and kerbs that affect the feel too. Play around like I did and you may surprise yourself. If you need more info on this let e know on here and later today I can post some screengrabs

for me the weak point in rF2 for now is the ffb. its very heavy weight and weak effects then when u add force u add u start to get clipping and the smooth not help much too the ffb is less worse on cars that have very high caster angle (above 9). Why ISI do the same as Sector3 Studio is doing on R3R have many adjustments for ffb. I can individually can adjust how I want to feel the curbs and others effects.
I could not disagree with you more. The last thing RF2 needs is to go the route of R3R & Pcars and have a massive amount of adjustments for FFB, using all these canned effects is wrong and a right pain in the arse IMO. RF2 FFb feels pure like how the car or the modder wanted the car to feel. The wheel just feels alive in your hands even on low end wheels.

I'd personally rather that they leave GT stuff for other sims to produce. Cars that don't need the fidelity can be fine in sims that don't have it.
Uhhuh...

@Ghoults
ISI have a plan, right from before the start of rF2 they've had this plan.
The plan has had setbacks which has caused a backlog of content to essentially be on hold while core components of the sim were updated.
So the fact remains, rf2 lacks content. Not just stuff made by isi but also 3rd party modded cars and car packs.

The backlog is what we have in our hands, not the sum total of all work produced by ISI to date.
Patience is not something that a lot of people are used to in this modern world but one fact remains...

Good work takes time!

I'm simply writing my own opinion about how it is now. You make it sound like I'm making demands...

Uhhuh...

So the fact remains, rf2 lacks content. Not just stuff made by isi but also 3rd party modded cars and car packs.

I'm simply writing my own opinion about how it is now. You make it sound like I'm making demands...

Sorry man, too much typing and not enough thinking on my part.
I'm often misconstrued so when I type I try to make sure that I cover the inevitable 'comebacks'
Of course that is not going to come across as I'd anticipate without more thought.

Yes it lacks content... if that's how you want to see it.
The cars that I want are not in the game. The cars I want are in other games.
The other games are not detailed enough to provide the information I need to be able to drive on the razors edge. Heavy cars, such as those with rooves do not require such information as the weight 'normalises' a lot of the dynamics.

So at this point in time, if I want to have fun in GT cars, I can pick up a few sims to satiate that need. If I want to race open wheelers, then that is a different story.

GT is over represented in my opinion and that is why I feel strongly enough to not want GT stuff over all the other racing vehicle types out there. It appeals much more to the gamer than the racer in my opinion and racers are what will drive this genre forward.

I'd almost given up on sim racing again about 6 months ago. I'd done it all before and while I was having fun, I was also getting bored. Then I started exploring all the content that ISI have created... All those cars that I had zero interest in driving.

Panoz, Howston, Brabham
Clio, Megane, Civic
...and more recently
Indy, Palatov and Cobra

And on the tail end of those experiences, I can say ISI has created an incredible array of content. Each of those cars, you could spend weeks learning all the nuances. The complaint can only be, there is not enough content 'that I want'

The final point I tried to make, is simply... A lot of stuff promised has yet to materialise.
This stuff has been worked on the whole time, so now that major hurdles have been cleared we can expect to see content released in a more consistent fashion. So essentially the next 12 months should be much better than the last 12.

I'm curious, what tracks are you missing because they seem to be fairly well covered?

*Apologies for my tone.

Posted this in ISI forums but no reply yet.
1. How do I identify the group/class that a car/mod has? So that I can easily find it in Filters to select the appropriate cars for a session.
2. Is there a better way to select in the Filter, as it's not even sorted, and it's quite difficult selecting. Can't it default to the class of the car selected (like in SCE), then just allow additions?

In the .veh file of a car package there are a few lines that are used as opponent filter.
This file isn't adjustable without breaking the package or cause mismatches.

Unfortunatly every modder has his idea of what's best to select opponents. :unsure:

IMO: Select the oppenents the same way you choose your own car would make more sense.

- Classes and AIUpgradeClass are the opponent filters.
- Catagory is the way you select your car.

Example from the ISI camaro:

AIUpgradeClass=Camaro

Number=2
Team="Camaro"
PitGroup="Group1"
Driver="Helio Grindelwald"
Description="Camaro #02"
Engine="Chevy 8L V8"
Manufacturer="Chevrolet"

Classes="GT3_Camaro"

Category="Chevrolet, Camaro GT3 2012"

In the .veh file of a car package there are a few lines that are used as opponent filter.
This file isn't adjustable without breaking the package or cause mismatches.

Unfortunatly every modder has his idea of what's best to select opponents. :unsure:

IMO: Select the oppenents the same way you choose your own car would make more sense.

- Classes and AIUpgradeClass are the opponent filters.
- Catagory is the way you select your car.

Example from the ISI camaro:

AIUpgradeClass=Camaro

Number=2
Team="Camaro"
PitGroup="Group1"
Driver="Helio Grindelwald"
Description="Camaro #02"
Engine="Chevy 8L V8"
Manufacturer="Chevrolet"

Classes="GT3_Camaro"

Category="Chevrolet, Camaro GT3 2012"
Coudln't agree more. Most modders don't care or whatever and it is really annoying especially, if you want a well mixed field if one class or car has more selectable vehicles it will be represented a lot more often as AI...

I cannot find any compelling reason to load rF2 and race it anymore. Between pCars, Assetto Corsa and now Dirt Rally I have enough of my racing fix and sorting out and updating everything in rF2 is too laborious to bother. It is sad because rF2 should have been great by now, alot of modders have abandoned it and ISI are far too slow in progressing things to current standards. In my opinion one of their bigger mistakes was electing to ignore VR as that could have bought a substantial influx of new players. Also making players pay extra for online racing never made much sense and their lobbies are scarcely populated anyway. They seriously need new management/ideas to succeed.

I cannot find any compelling reason to load rF2 and race it anymore. Between pCars, Assetto Corsa and now Dirt Rally I have enough of my racing fix and sorting out and updating everything in rF2 is too laborious to bother. It is sad because rF2 should have been great by now, alot of modders have abandoned it and ISI are far too slow in progressing things to current standards. In my opinion one of their bigger mistakes was electing to ignore VR as that could have bought a substantial influx of new players. Also making players pay extra for online racing never made much sense and their lobbies are scarcely populated anyway. They seriously need new management/ideas to succeed.
rF2 has the best AI and is the most complete simracing modding platform.
It has plenty of high quality modders and it's above standards in the things that matter, such as proper simracing features http://www.virtualr.net/rfactor-2-new-sepang-previews#comment-1932072660 and accurate physics http://www.virtualr.net/meet-simfunding-sim-racing-crowd-funding-platform#comment-1871850631
Assetto Corsa is well below standards regarding these.
Proper VR support (AC's VR support is halfbaked) will come once it's mature and ready. We don't need to lure in players that have no interest in proper simracing and are only hopping on to the latest fads and wrecking the the online servers. rF2 is the best package for the serious simracer http://www.virtualr.net/endurance-series-rfactor-2-first-previews#comment-2090111946

Last edited:
... and to add: if a clever crew got together and built an online racing system (licensing, ratings, penalties etc) to rival iRacing style racing system rF2 would be a viable alternative for serious sim racers for sure - even if it were a pay-for community league racing feature.

Well of course we all can have our own opinion ... didn't mean to mess anyone's hair up ! I have never had any problem with AC vr running in extended mode, ai is not so good. But in pCars the ai is fun and with latest updates the vr is brilliant. Sorry but I bought rF2 day one and heard all the excuses and for my time & money just found it disappointing - vr would not have been a far stretch if isi were bothered and it takes all sorts to enjoy simracing and make a brand successful. I am happy that some people enjoy rF2 for what it is.

Well I'm just lucky I guess because I find rF2's physics, feel and AI so good that I simply cannot drive anything else and fortunately I don't have to because there is already enough for me to do for the rest of my sim racing career. I sincerely appreciate not being someone it sucks to be lol.

Very very happy here.
The great content in RF2 and its depth mean that you can as someone mentioned above spend hundreds of laps discovering more and more nuances about a car and perfecting its set up.
Once you have done it that car feels like an old friend. I think Freddy explained one of his favourites above.

I'm currently a struggling back marker in Formula Sim Racing in Pro division with a PB of 11th place. On a good day my laps are 1.9 sec off the pace. On Sunday after appr 500 laps practice at Silverstone I nearly managed to not get lapped succumbing on only lap 29 of 32 and mainly due to the need to fuel save. Whats hard to explain is the intensity as you go deep into this simulation. We might have 7-12 drivers turn up to official team practice. All of them testing one aspect or another of set up. We have strategy documents, a monthly team meeting. There is a real life engineer for you on the radio during the race (TS) to spot what the opposition are doing and advise you. By race day your pulse is racing and it is all so real you cant believe it.
I don't think any other sim could go close to carrying off the pinnacle series that FSR is.

I take a similar approach to GT or endurance racing (when involved) where I might do 500 laps before an event. to get the set up right. I have done stints of a full fuel tank with team mates and overlayed our data on Motec to validate out setups impact on tyre wear, finding that with certain changes we can have a lap time delta of under 1 second over 45 mins racing versus 2.2 sec.
Tweaking packers to get dynamic ride height correct is another one of many parameters.
Going that deep is RF2 's forte.
It just seems real (not realistic, real).
You don't have too but its there.
To explain that a bit more, when I raced Codies F1 2011 It was to pretend I was racing the worlds top drivers in F1 cars.
In RF2 I AM racing the worlds top drivers in RF2 and not pretending anything. The guys I look up to are the best drivers in FSR World Championship. So I guess its a sport rather than a hobby now.

Its rare for me to race AI now, I might do one or two race distance tests to validate a tyre strategy. So say 60 laps out of 500 laps of preparation.
So suffice to say RF2 Multiplayer is state of the art in my view.

Content wise-it is obvious with my approach that there are only so many cars I can drive. For me there are already too many!! There are games with more cars but what RF2 has are deep.
In a perfect world I would regularly drive:
Spec Miata (MX5)
BES 911 GT3
ISI Nissan GTR GT1
Ferrari 458 Challenge
Brabham BT20
Skippy
Formula Renault 3.5
Formula ISI Masters (FSR Mod version).
However as it happens, due to say 10 nights of 50 laps practice for FSR in a 2 week period I usually have time in a fortnight to maybe drive one.

I have a quality wheel and have tweaked the FFB etc to my liking and now it is awesome.

Bottom line, best money I have ever spent.
Also the annual fee for online is to stop hackers and cheats being able to race online, many companies have been ripped off by such behaviour and some have failed. My solution -lifetime member. Easy.

Last edited:
Blanes, it's all good mate.

Myself and many many others feel what David has so succinctly written.
We are aware of the stigmas attached to having such strong feelings about 'a game' but regardless, we have these feelings.

You may be happy to drive around in other simulators because you could not find what you wanted in rF2... all good. However, there is no way in hell you could convince anyone that AC or PCars is even in the same world as rF2.

Yet we hear the same story over and over from the uninitiated, the inexperienced and it feels like trying to hold back the tide.

Something so incredibly wonderful should not be such a hard sell.
You don't have to touch hardly anything to get the best experience from rF2. Unlike previously where there were bandaid fixes applied while the real fixes were being prepared.

There is still plenty to do and no-one suggests there are not problems, but the benefits vastly outweigh them.

The abovementioned desire to get deep into set up etc in RF2 might be a key reason that the RD policy of having a different club race 7 nights of the week doesnt particularly suit RF2. I dont know, maybe its just me but I want to have more time to prepare. Hence 2-3 races that I can focus on is more suitable. Then I can spend an evening testing/tweaking sharing etc and prep for the club race.

In my perfect world there would be a 60-90 minute GT race on say a Friday night. We had 2 epic races at Laguna Seca and Bathurst that were 60(?) and 90 mins and we had a 2 hour at the Nordschliefe. Drivers came out of the woodwork for those. 32-45 drivers for a club race.

I cannot find any compelling reason to load rF2 and race it anymore. Between pCars, Assetto Corsa and now Dirt Rally I have enough of my racing fix and sorting out and updating everything in rF2 is too laborious to bother.

I had the same opinion just one week ago but after driving a few hours rF2 i´m really impressed of the ffb & physics engine. I think i already became addictive and the lack of graphical eye-candy is easier to live with than with a lack of physics & ffb.

With my Thrustmaster TX i had to increase the ffb-factor quite a bit (1.5 to 2.9 depending on the car), dampening to 0, but that´s nearly all. When i think of the tweaks i had to do in pCars and DR just to get no crappy ffb. AC has a good ffb even out of the box, but more than that only with very few cars and it´s never amazing.

Latest News

Are you buying setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back