rFactor 2 - Q & A with the development team

Bram Hengeveld

Site Founder
Staff
Premium
Hi,

Spoken to the boss himself yesterday night and in a few weeks time he will be able to answer questions from the RD community!

Please use this thread to write down your questions for him. We will wrap up the most original questions that have not been answered before in previous interviews and will send it out.

Take note of a few simple rules:
  • Don't use this thread for debates / discussions. Stay on topic: questions. Discussions are more than welcome here
  • Read the entire topic so you don't repeat the same questions over and over again :)
  • We all want to know when the game will be released, so avoid that question as it has been asked a million times before and we all know the answer already: "Released when its finished"
Shoot! What would you like know? Lets get the rFactor 2 ball rolling!
rfactor2.png

1. Will there be some kind of mod management?
2. How is the weather shaping up? Will we have wind effects, snow (for Rally), monsoon rain?
3. Will there be a Rally part of the game?
4. Will mod tools be released? More advanced than rF1's mod tools?
5. What engine is the game running on?
6. What 'version' are you on now and how close is it to release?
7. Will there be proper support for older F1, e.g 1950's? Can virtual driver body's be thrown out the car, like they were then?
8. How much will current mods have to be changed to fit in with rF2?
9. Is the netcode any better? Can we find servers more effectively?
10. On my PC the menu's are really slow, cars take ages to come up on the spinner etc. Will this be optimized more for rF2? (I don't know if anyone else has these problems?)
11. Will the game work in Linux and Mac OS X? Related question: Will the game work for OpenGL?
12. Will there be seperate AI difficulty for race and qualifying? I am always weak in quali, qualifying on the back couple of rows, but then storm through the field and win the race by 30+ seconds.

- Regaring the new-and-improved tire model: Will there be flatspots? Will sidewall grip be reduced so that cars with a high COG don't grip and flip when they lift the inside wheels?

- Regarding the damage model: Will there be a possibility to require realistic clutch usage to be able to change gear? Not being able to shift if you don't clutch, or damaging the gearbox, etc. Will there be a larger scale off possible engine damages? A lost cilinder, broken oil lines, blown turbo, etc... Will oil leaks be visible on track and affect track grip? Will you be able to damage suspension just by overdoing the curbs?
Now there's brake disc (pad?) wear, but no option to change discs or pads for endurances.

- Engine model: Will there be a realistic turbo model? Right now in rF there's no turbo lag when reapplying throttle. Will there be a push-to-pass or KERS option (with limited use)?

- Will there be soft impacts for tirewalls? Now it's all pretty concrete.

- Not very important, but it would be a very cool feature if switchable blinkers, wipers, and even hand gestures (GPL had it!) would be possible. And would the windows mist up in humid conditions?

1. What base content is available in rf2? (We've already seen Classic Spa, a '68 Matra (I think), Karting, I think...

2. How hard will it be to convert rF1 to rF2 (addons, that is)? If it requires a bit of work, will you provide some sort of free, relatively easy2use tool that'll do most of the work for you?

3. Did you gain permission/pay any rF1 modders to allow you to use their rF1 addon content as a base for some rF2 content?

The three things that make a PC simulation are Graphics, (Visual effect). Sound, (The sound of the engine, Tyre scrub, Gear change, Road effect on the cars. Sound has been proven to be as if not more important then the visual aspect.) Physics, One off the most argued about aspect of any sim format.

Graphics, As has been already reported rF2 will have advance graphic. Though we see ISI is reluctant to go so far as to call it gmotor3 we'll just say gmotor2 Next Generation. It has been noted that rF2 will support DX9. We have now available DX10 & 11. Will rF2 support these levels of graphics? If no why? Over two thirds of PC's today are up to DX10 capable. Visual effect and FPS rates can & dose make the difference between lap times over a number of differing PC abilities. For this aspect it would be a good reason not to go to DX10+ to keep a more even playing field. Is this the reason for your choice to support only up to DX9?

Graphics, Alpha transparency and chroma transparency.At the moment when creating textures for tracks and cars (Windows) the preferred transparency to use is alpha. The side effect is when two alpha textures line up you can see through the solid eerier to the texture behind so to provent this a chroma texture is used. The down side is a chroma transparent texture has jagged edgers.This has been more apparent in car mods then tracks.
(Q) With the advances made to gmotor2 NG will it now be possible to use the preferred alpha textures in all situations or has the chroma been improved?

Sounds, This is something that I think ISI has very little control over as these are created & added by the modding teams. But for ISI's side will we see 5.1 surround sound supported by rF2?

Physics,At this point we're under the understanding rF2 has now got a new tyre physics engine (TBC) Though as yet there has been no mention of the suspension platform upgrade. (HDV) Is this being looked at as a new engine or is this side not being changed? The HDV has many aspects that from suspension, aero eg. eg. There are many question on this but first, Will this be changing? If so there is no need to look at these any further. I'd has a guess to say that wih the new tyre format now being used that this will under go many changes because these two really go hand in hand. To say one effects the other.

Online, There has been many others that have asked questions about the dedicated server so I want go there. My question is Mismatches. This is now a big problem throughout the rF servers making people less inclined to join open server racing. Some leagues use what is known as SimSync. The user can format his or hers PC to match the server before entering a race. However this only works if you can access the server out side the game. Which means knowing the servers IP address. Is there a way for rF2 to use matchmaker to format your PC to any one server before entering the race?

Many of our mod teams and track builders have developed new improvements to rF over the past five years. Will rF2 still support some or most of these improvements? Or will the new rF need more alternative thinking by these developers? It's been said rF content will be able to be easily transferred to rF2. Is this so and can you give a more detailed description what will need to be looked at for our teams to do it?

Dose ISI keep a track of what our teams are doing to make improvement to your format?

With rF being a new style of format were it was designed so the community can build on to it. We, The community have noticed a large difference in quality. Is ISI considering how we can work together to keep a uniform control on this? Has ISI considered a forum were our modellers and you can keep in touch with advances from both parties?

Back in the days when rF1 was still new, Race Sim Central was the 1 stop shop where everybody could share their thoughts, make people aware new releases ect. Rfactorcentral was born and life in general was good for the average rf user. With the demise of RSC and the change of ownership at rfcentral, modding has become a bit scattered. A lot of/some mods are currently being made 'in house' at various different racing sites and are generally not for use to the wider public.

Considering the fact that rFactor thrives on modding, do you see the lack of a central place of mod distribution as a potential threat?
If so, are you guys going to start up a site a la rfcentral or RSC for rF2 where hopefully modding teams would use as a central point of sharing?

Ok guy's were are your questions? There must be more things people can ask about. Even a question that's already been ask but you may see that it needs more explanation.

There is one here that asks if it could be made easier to add skins. Add skins in a new team file?

I have difficulty understanding this question because I can create a new team file in under 5 minutes. It's far from difficult to do. Can you please give a more detailed explanation to what this question is asking?

Hi the people!
Well i have a few questions for Gjon :

1. Are there going to be cockpit driver animations like a better physics based head movement,moving hands and animations for shifting,handbraking etc...? Also will pit stops have real animated crews as well would be possible to have full 3d animated crowds ? ?

2.Are there going to be flatspots on tires ?

3.Is the Force feedback going to be better than realfeel or is it exactly the same ?

4.Will weather effects like rain cause pools of water concentrate on tarmac dips and are physics and handling be affected when tires go over the water pools ?

5.Is there going to be real time body and body parts deformation ?

6.Is the game be available also on retail stores on DVD (i prefer having a hard copy of the game and have it in my library)

7.Will hdr lighting be implemented ?

I actaully have one more:

Will there be a realistic transition model?

(I think there is a mod for rF1, never tried that one, but the iRacing one is good, though giving me a hard time, but I always can swith it off).

I have one Bram :) Will rF2 support more than 3 HID or game controllers? 3 is the current limit on rF and most other sims/games, but its not enough these days, I could easily use 5 or six for seperate wheel, pedal, shifter, wheel mounted shiftlights with button controler and button box controler. This is becoming more and more of an issue for the 'hardware freaks' like me and many others running 'seperate high end hardware'

• Antonio Correia

I have one question: Will it be possible to start a race; save it, and then load again and continue from the saving point, like in other games (GP3,...)? It's almost impossible to do a race like a 1000Km WSC without stops.

Will rF2 use Steam for Distribution and\or Online Play?
Will rF2 allow automatic updating of content such as Skins, Tracks etc when you join a server (ala CSS and other FPS games), if not automatic can it be done Manually through the game interface?
Will rF2 allow sharing of Setups, Ghost Laps etc online?
Will there be any form of Online ranking system?
Will there be an open Beta or places on the Closed Beta any time soon?

Regards

Craig

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back