rFactor 2 Open Beta (pre-release discussion)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tim Wheatley said:
What is the pricing structure for rF2?
In the USA, rF2 will sell for $43.99. This will allow unlimited access to single player and mod development mode. It will also include one year access to an online account. Additional one year access to the online account can be purchased for $12.99.

Why not simply raise the initial purchase price?
That wouldn’t be fair to those wanting to use only the single player or mod development mode.

What exactly are online services?
Users will be given online accounts from which they can access multiplayer races. This should reduce the number of anonymous race entries and in turn hopefully reduce the number of passworded servers.

The service will identify when updates are available and allow for automatic downloads.

The service provides a way to generate and maintain unique Mod/Package ID’s. This should help reduce the mismatch problem found in the current version of rFactor and also help reduce/eradicate version confusion for the end user.

Additional features such as online statistics are also planned.

What will I be able to do if I don't use online services?
You will be able to run single player, run Mod Mode, and manually find and install any mods or updates.

What is this open beta I have been hearing about?
We plan to release an early content-limited version for mod makers to provide feedback on the system. It will be an open beta, meaning anyone can participate. People wishing to take part will be required to make a full purchase (see pricing info above). We are planning to give those who take part in the open beta 18 months of online access with that purchase rather than the 12 months which will come with purchase after the open beta.

Will you offer refunds during or after the open beta?
If you believe you became a part of the rFactor 2 community too early we can arrange one.

Source

Fernando Porteiro;974144 said:
So does it mean now we'll have to pay ISI yearly in order to play online? With their servers or even with our own dedicated servers, already paid with bandwidth included? Apart from keeping the same price for the game when it's 5 years-old, like rFactor is... Well, maybe for one year it will be worth. Then there is CARS, GTR3, Race07 and its thousand packs and mods... Btw, no, I'm not an iRacing fan, on its "leasing" model of use. Hope ISI double checks the way to do business. It has always been a game worth buying (I used to buy licenses and give them as gifts to close friends.. 6 or 7, not much either), but... whatever.
If you decide not to pay in the 1 year, you still have a sim to play, just not online.
MS7XWDC;974190 said:
"does it mean now we'll have to pay ISI yearly in order to play online?" is a good question. or is that just for access to an Online 'Account' ?
All MP, including LAN, is included in that. Although online gameplay isn't the only benefit of the online account.
Xosé Estrada;974324 said:
Considering how piracy can affect this small companies, I'ts logycal they protect themselves with this kind of things :)
We estimate the piracy with rF1 was quite widespread. rF2 won't use TryMedia, we've done everything ourselves. Accounts are also now tied to the login, not the machine, so re-installations aren't limited to 5, etc.
Sérgio Marques;974450 said:
Now suppose you are a member of a modding team or someone who build a track, you work for free to build them, then to play it online you will have to pay to ISI to use it?
Yes.

These guys make poor game, RF1, where to have a proper FFB we need a couple of plugins made by others, if it's alive until today they have to say thanks to the modding teams or it will be dead for a long time ago, no one uses the original cars.

Without all these people who work for free for RF1, no one would care about a new RF2 that would be coming out.

Now they say to the same people if they keep doing the same thing they will have to pay for using it online!

Sérgio Marques;974499 said:
These guys make poor game, RF1, where to have a proper FFB we need a couple of plugins made by others, if it's alive until today they have to say thanks to the modding teams or it will be dead for a long time ago, no one uses the original cars.

Without all these people who work for free for RF1, no one would care about a new RF2 that would be coming out.
Yet strangely no mod team has ever started their own simulation from scratch. How strange. :) You make it sound like that would be pretty easy...

Sérgio Marques;974499 said:

Now they say to the same people if they keep doing the same thing they will have to pay for using it online!

Without rF1 those mode teams didnt had a place to release there mods in the first place.
And rFactor default FFB is great. Just need to change two lines no plug ins needed. Coming from a 4 year long user of rF1..
But you dont have to buy it offcourse nobody forces you. :)

Some Modders say that ISI does make money with their free work,... (I say, they already did with rF1)
Some Server-Hoster say that ISI fee's them twice: Server plus connecting to this Server... (I say, we need a solution for this)

What do you guys think about those two things?

Oh man, you really have no clue what you are saying Sergio. Do you have any idea how hard it is to make the platform that rfactor is today? Before making such bold statements have a look on wikipedia or a do a little research what ISI has produced in the last 20 years.

Sérgio Marques;974525 said:
Yes, you made the simulation and charge for it, but they made rFactor be what he is today, for free! Without them it will be dead for long.
you have no idea what the hell your talking about, damm disrespect to the company and modders along with the members here, go back into hiding you're really getting on my nerves.

It has nothing to do with Modders making rf1 what it is today.

Everyone has to pay bills,everyone as to protect their company/ themselves in order to pay bills, surely you would know this or have you forgotten?

The Prices are Perfect for what you'll get, spending over 600+ hours on building a sim from scratch putting so much work into it and then releasing it for a fair price is perfectly good, don't forget they need to make money to survive and keep the jobs they so love, bills on the lease for their offices, mortage bills, etc.

what you have to understand Sergio is this, modders make content for free, for the fun and passion, for the community most of all it is their choice to do this in their free time for free.

it's total lies what you say about no1 will care for rf2 if it wasn't for the modding guys, how arrogant are you?

Some Modders say that ISI does make money with their free work,... (I say, they already did with rF1)
Some Server-Hoster say that ISI fee's them twice: Server plus connecting to this Server... (I say, we need a solution for this)
What do you guys think about those two things?

What are the "sources" that say that? Linky?

If those modders complain why don't they go to a bank. Loan 20 million euros/dollars and create everything from scratch (engine, game, marketing and support). I wish them good luck with that challenge :)

I love rFactor as great platform for the free spirits that create stuff from scratch. I hate rFactor for allowing illegal content in their lobbies (ported content from other games).

The latter might be the reason (ok, i hope it is) that they will now charge us for online play and ban illegal stuff from their lobby.

I don't know much about internet legislation but I think that besides the creator, the (community) server/hoster that shares illegal files, also ISI is at risk for transmitting those files through the lobby.

It would be a huge step forward for the entire simracing community if all that illegal crap from rFactor 1 gets banned from online play.

Ivo Simons;974114 said:
Not really. For the 360 you also need to pay i believe 40 euro a year for Gold to get the services. And nobody complains there. :)
I think we sim racers are just abit spoiled with free content these last years. So alot of people are expecting it will be free forever. :)

To be honest I have never heard of this service, probably because I don't have an Xbox. However I do own some racing games, like GTR, GTR2, Race, Race 07 and Game Stockcar. All these games offer online racing for free, or at least have offered it in the past as I'm not sure if there are still servers for the GTR games and the original Race. As far as I know, in rFactor 1 it's also free. So if ISI want to charge online racing now, there must be a reason.
First possibility is, they improve cheating protection, increase their work on updates, think of new ways to make it easier to install mods etc. If they can do that and really improve multiplayer racing, and their press release sounds promising, it seems fair they want some money for their services.
Second possibility is, they offer the same as before, only difference is they want money for it now. Then I see no reason to support them. Some people say you have to support simracing companies because, well, they make simracing games; personally I don't care at all about the developers. They have to make quality products for reasonable prices, and if they can't, they go down and other companies step in. Market economy. Just look at the situation right now, experienced crews like SimBin struggle and release add ons with similar content again and again, but new crews like Reiza are coming in and filling the void.
Please don't get me wrong, I'm supporting the idea that good products are "allowed" to have a high price. And the price for rFactor 2 isn't even high. This is much cheaper than iRacing (which is WAY beyond my personal money limit). Actually, the more I think about it, the fairer ISI's offer seems to me. They give us a whole year to see for ourselves if we rate their online services, and if case two happens, everyone can pull the plug.

I have to admit, I'm socked by the reaction of people on several boards for that 12.99$.

You see people asking for more and better features everywhere, But don't ever think of charging them! I'm sure all the people complaining about this would be the first to charge for their precious time...

I have no problems paying a reasonable price for QUALITY. If you don't pay for it, soon you wont get any, simple principle.

No one is forcing anyone, I understand we all make decisions where to spend our money. If 12.99$ for 1 year of rF2 multiplayer enjoyment is too much in your situation or not worth it for whatever reason then don't get that service, where is the problem?

A dollar a month to race is nothing! I would pay 10 times that if rf2 grew into having all the cool tracks and mods that are available for rf1.:)

Anyone complaining about price sure hasn't been to the real racetrack! Tires for my racebike $490 a set...done in 40 minutes of racing! One day of racing at the track is almost a $1000 after gas, tires and entry! That buys me a lot of racing in rF2!:D

Thats also why there are so many wrecks in simracing...no one has to pay for the damage! :tongue:Ha ha!

I think the developers are aware of how important the modding content is to the success of the sim. I as a player have enormous respect for the modding community. The modders have really blessed us with awesome content to enjoy rfactor through, just one look at the Downloads section at Race Department will convince you of that.
Would people play rfactor as much if there were only a few cars or tracks?

Just like in life both parties are important. I hope that the developers and modders find common ground. A great game with great content is what everyone is wanting. ISI would do good to keep the variety and depth the modding community has added to their platform in mind with rf2, and keep that aspect of the the sim similar to the original game.

As for the pay to play model they are implementing, only time will tell if that turns out for the better. Even if their program helps eliminates cheats, and provides servers to race on, serious sim racers will still need promoters, organizers and stewards of events as RD supplies now. Online racing would be nothing if it wasn't for third party organizers like Race Department anyways so I don't see that changing.

Now if ISI took 25% of what they collected from the yearly subscription and hired modding teams with that money to create more awesome content for their platform, and 25% of the money they dedicated to supporting a sanctioning organization whose purpose was to create, promote, and sanction awesome sim race events for the community...imagine!!!! :cool:

How the divorce rate would skyrocket!:rolleyes:

If Tim is out there...thank you my friend! My CC info eagerly awaits...:D:D:D

We want rf2! we want rf2! We want rf2!:):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back