rFactor 2 October Roadmap Update

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
rFactor 2 Radical.png

Studio 397 have revealed their very first official Development Roadmap for rFactor 2, bringing news of a couple of new pieces of content, a brand new licence and insight into the ongoing development surrounding rFactor 2.

Following the recent Sim Racing Expo announcement that a new company, Studio 397, will be taking over development of rFactor 2 going forwards, Marcel Offermans of Studio 397 promised the community a greater level of interaction regarding plans for the simulation. Offermans has today made good on that promise, with the release of Studio 397's first public roadmap for the month of October.

The full October Development Roadmap post can be seen below:

"A car we’ve teased before is the
USF2000 and we are happy to report that it is almost ready for release. We are particularly proud of this car as we were able to build it with a lot of support from the series and teams so we’ve ended up with a car that is extremely accurate in terms of both physics and car model. On top of that it is also a lot of fun to drive and has become a favourite of many people on the test team.

rFactor 2 NOLA Motorsports Park.png

Our next track release is going to be NOLA Motorsports Park. Both the race and kart track will be available in different configurations. We’ve been working on it for the past couple of months. Most of the 3D objects are done and we’re currently assembling everything in preparation for further testing.

On the development side a lot has happened. In the background we have moved everything over to new infrastructure that allows us to work on new features in parallel, ensuring that they are only added to the next release when done and tested. We have also spent time automating our processes and intend to use those improvements to deliver updates more quickly.

Over the last year we have been working hard in close cooperation with the Stock Car community to improve the rules for oval racing. That work is still ongoing, and we feel we’re on the final stretch now!

Announced a month ago, the development of the DX11 engine with VR support is still ongoing. This is obviously a big project and apart from building and integrating the new engine we also need to make sure that we stay compatible with our existing content. Our current timeline for getting this integrated is by the end of Q1 2017.

We are also moving closer to the first public release that will be Steam only. It will definitely be released this year and is scheduled to contain a whole list of bugfixes and improvements to the codebase. I would like to take this opportunity to invite everybody that is still using the non-Steam version to take advantage of the free option to migrate to Steam. Future updates will start leveraging more Steam features so the only way to take advantage of those is to move to Steam.

rFactor 2 Radical.png

Finally, we have an announcement to make. We have secured a license with Radical sportscars and will be bringing those into rFactor 2. With full access to CAD drawings and performance data we can deliver these cars with a very high amount of accuracy. Work on this has just started, but we are very excited as these are great cars to drive and race!"

The October Development Roadmap contains some pretty interesting content, not least of which is the announcement that Studio 397 have secured a licence to bring the rather tasty Radical brand to the simulation. As many of you will already know, Radical are a sportscar manufacturer based in the United Kingdom and are renowned for developing a wide variety of low weight, high power prototype race cars that are a favourite on the national club racing scene. As well as such classics as the SR1, in recent years the manufacturer has designed and developed ten different models that take part in a variety of one-make and multi-class championships throughout the world.

Further news indicates that the recently revealed USF2000 car is close to release, hopefully coming before the Christmas holiday period. As mentioned in our recent exclusive interview with Tim Wheatley, the USF2000 has been built with unprecedented access to the teams and drivers of the championship and could very well prove to be one of the most concentrated and realistic first party cars seen in rFactor 2 to date.

All in all, it looks like the future of rFactor 2 is very bright indeed. I for one can't wait to see how it all develops.

The rFactor 2 sub forum here at RaceDepartment is the place to go for all the latest news and discussions regarding the simulation. We have a great modding archive, some excellent user created setups (more of these would be nice please folks :) and of course of great racing club events! Head over today and join in the fun.

Are you happy with the news in the October Development Roadmap? What are you looking forward to the most? Happy to see the community engagement from Studio 397? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited:
Any hope to see removed part of the old content?Like Montreal or Kodi from rf1?
Not to be silly, but looks so strange to play some old content like this, seems like a move to have some content the easy and dirty way...at least need to be updated to new standards both on physics than graphics...

Not to be silly, but looks so strange to play some old content like this, seems like a move to have some content the easy and dirty way...at least need to be updated to new standards both on physics than graphics...
The Kodi physics were updated to the standards of last year, and serves mainly as an example vehicle for tuning upgrades http://rfactor.net/web/2015/08/31/10yearsofrfactor-conversions-released-for-rf2/

Agree that these might be seggregated in some way to ensure people realize what they are (and are not).

Obviously I am following the ongoing discussions. We are looking into this. As @Emery stated, we've already updated a lot of first party tracks. For cars we need to look at data we have available for them, which will influence our decision to try and update them. It is something I will get back to you all about.

Wow, updates are needed on all of them...some minor and some more serious. Please adopt the Reiza model of making all base content equivalent in quality/generation/features. Sorry, but if the content we already have cannot be brought up to today's standard, there is little hope for this title.

The Kodi physics were updated to the standards of last year, and serves mainly as an example vehicle for tuning upgrades http://rfactor.net/web/2015/08/31/10yearsofrfactor-conversions-released-for-rf2/

...you should admit they are a punch in a eye both the kodi and the Gasoline cigar or whatever...why not a super mario kart model from N64 as example for rF2 go-karts phiysics?
I can see a lot of new customers come for rF2 after seeing such beautys...or the Panoz roadster?
How many time have you raced it?

Why not a pool to see wich car or tracks save from the previous installement?
You will be surprised...and maybe can be a good idea for Studio-397, so they can avoid to update unused cars and discard them for new ones...

Last edited:
Wow, updates are needed on all of them...some minor and some more serious. Please adopt the Reiza model of making all base content equivalent in quality/generation/features. Sorry, but if the content we already have cannot be brought up to today's standard, there is little hope for this title.

I think you really need to stop the instant panicking and at least acknowledge that not all cars might get updates due to various reasons (licensing expiry dates, data as Marcel states etc), also it's a long road that Studio397 are on and they won't do it all at the pace you want ;)

Obviously I am following the ongoing discussions. We are looking into this. As @Emery stated, we've already updated a lot of first party tracks. For cars we need to look at data we have available for them, which will influence our decision to try and update them. It is something I will get back to you all about.
I like this. A sensible question was asked and BINGO, a rational reply was forthcoming. I like this a lot. :D

Well said, that's the first time I've ever agreed with something you've said, and it's the reason why I question this team made up of bedroom modders not professional coders.

Well said, that's the first time I've ever agreed with something you've said, and it's the reason why I question this team made up of bedroom modders not professional coders.

Stop making a fool of yourself, it's getting ridiculous. Your not only talking complete bullshit but also miscrediting people, who certainly have enough skill in the software development departement to make a living out of it. A company with these references is certainly not a bunch of unprofessional bedroom coders:

https://www.luminis.eu/who-we-work-for/

Now who are you to judge whether these girls and boys are professional or not? Go figure!

Last edited:
I think you really need to stop the instant panicking and at least acknowledge that not all cars might get updates due to various reasons (licensing expiry dates, data as Marcel states etc), also it's a long road that Studio397 are on and they won't do it all at the pace you want ;)

I agree with you generally, but rF2 was already on life support when Studio 397 stepped in. It (as a product) doesn't have a long time to recover and turn things around, in my opinion. Of course I predicted the crash and burn of the ISI approach three or more years ago, repeatedly, on their forum, so I am biased.

And no, Melanie, this does not mean we agree with each other. I was pushing for more resources to be put into rF2 because it is so obviously the superior product under the skin. But you have to meet the superficial, fanboy, console-using, uninformed masses at least half way if you want to generate any revenue. I am delighted that Studio 397 intends to put a user-friendly front-end and better performing modernized graphics into rF2. That will simply allow more casual gamers to experience the depth and superiority of rF2--that was created precisely because ISI did not pander to the masses. This is a complicated equation, but without the depth, rF2 is lost as a unique product. Without better accessibility, rF2 is lost financially. Studio 397 can pull these things together. It's just a matter of time and resources and priorities, as it always is.

Last edited:

Since you've been complaining so much, why not make your own sim? A forums a place for people to comment and express their opinions sure, but you've genuinely got nothing constructive to say, nor have any expertise in modelling or coding a simulation game, if you do, it certainly doesn't show in your posts. Grow Up.

For the (few) whingers and whiners in this thread, I ask why do you waste your time?
Go race in whatever sim takes your fancy.
I have high hopes that a much larger team, who have already published their first roadmap, can deliver.
I don't undertand why some people go to every forum they can find to complain about a particular sim. If you don't like it delete from hard drive - end of story. You add nothing to this community but negativity with your messages of hate, and add no value at all with your comments, other than to upset people who have a job to make stuff for us to enjoy (or those who do it for free, like I do)
If you want to add value, be very specific in your feedback and direct that to the people who are working on this stuff, rather than the same comments in public forums that don't provide enough information and input to move this hobby forward

Ahem, @Marcel Offermans I have a question. Are there any plans to offer an rF2 light version on Steam. I'm aware that it's possible to remove unwanted content from the game, but it's very laborious IMO. It seems to me, that it would make more sense to add content as and when it's required?
Thanks.

• Deleted member 130869

Ahem, @Marcel Offermans I have a question. Are there any plans to offer an rF2 light version on Steam. I'm aware that it's possible to remove unwanted content from the game, but it's very laborious IMO. It seems to me, that it would make more sense to add content as and when it's required?
Thanks.

Maybe an in-game page with the cars available and if you desire it, mark it in the game so rF2 can download it (auto-subscribing to it) on Steam. That way the original download is light and the user has full knowledge of all that is available, 1st party and 3PA.

It's real tough for people with slow conn.

Well frankly it's "only" 12 or 13 GB download, new games like Call of Duty are around 40 GB. I reckon Steam doesn't provide an option to offer a light version, at least I have not seen any other Steam games with such, but maybe I'm wrong.

Maybe an in-game page with the cars available and if you desire it, mark it in the game so rF2 can download it (auto-subscribing to it) on Steam. That way the original download is light and the user has full knowledge of all that is available, 1st party and 3PA.

This option would mean that the initial download is minimal in size, but then you get a game with no content and have to wait many hours again if you want the content as well. Most Steam players want to jump into the game directly after they have bought/downloaded, this adds an extra step.

Well frankly it's "only" 12 or 13 GB download, new games like Call of Duty are around 40 GB. I reckon Steam doesn't provide an option to offer a light version, at least I have not seen any other Steam games with such, but maybe I'm wrong.
Yes, I agree with that fact but our tiny little niche hobby needs to have as much inclusiveness as possible and comparing us to COD might be a little optimistic. :)

This option would mean that the initial download is minimal in size, but then you get a game with no content and have to wait many hours again if you want the content as well. Most Steam players want to jump into the game directly after they have bought/downloaded, this adds an extra step.

It's not an all/nothing option. For instance, they could include something light, like the Clio Cup cars and Mores.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 559 17.4%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 379 11.8%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 341 10.6%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 243 7.6%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 390 12.1%