rFactor 2 non Steam Development to Cease in "Coming Months"

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
rfactor 2 steam only move.jpg

ISI have released a useful FAQ document aimed at providing some key answers for rFactor 2 owners in the transition from standalone installs to full migration onto the Steam platform.

Following the release on Steam of ISI's flagship title rFactor 2 back in November 2015 it was perhaps inevitable development would shift away from standalone installations over time.
ISI have now confirmed non-Steam rFactor 2 installs will not be supported with new builds and updates in the next few months.

Although the official announcement states that development focus will be geared towards Steam going forward, and only "recommend users convert their copy of rFactor 2 to Steam to fully take advantage of the new features as they become available" the community is in no doubt this means support for non-Steam copies of the game will be coming to an end sooner rather than later for the title.

No doubt this move by ISI makes sense bringing all owners of the game under one platform but the news has already started up quite a few challenging comments from community members invested in the title.

Take a look at the Q&A from ISI below and let us have your opinions in the comments section at the bottom of this article.

ISI FAQ Q&A:

How do I convert to rFactor 2 Steam version?

Here you will find the full instructions on converting rFactor 2 to Steam.

https://commerce.rfactor.net/steam-transfer-form

Can I convert my lifetime online to Steam?
Yes, lifetime will be carried over to your rFactor 2 Steam version.

What happens to my non-Steam yearly online subscription when I convert?
For those who still have a decent amount of time remaining on their account, we can work with them to transfer that time over to Steam. Please use the following email to make the request: steam-up@rfactor.net

Will I still be able to get a Lite version of rFactor 2 on Steam?
To make a “strip down” version of rFactor 2, which looks and behaves exactly like a “Lite” version, you'll simply need to unsubscribe from all content on Steam Workshop.

Can I still install content manually or will I have to use workshop?
No need to choose, both are possible. You will still be able to place .rfcmps and .rfmods in your package folder located in your Steam rFactor 2 directory to install any piece of content manually, exactly the same as before.

Is hosting a dedicated server via Steam very different or more involved?
Actually, Steam offers multiple ways of hosting, and they are all fully compatible.
We now have a dedicated server distribution available via SteamCMD, which functions as a very lightweight version of the Dedicated Server, available to anyone -- no need to log in to the Steam client. Updating the dedicated server distribution is as simple as re-running the command line script once a new Build becomes available.
For Steam client users, via the “Tools” menu in Steam, a separate dedicated server can be installed and will show up as another entry in your gaming library. The server will be auto-updated when new Builds are released, completely maintenance-free for you.
So you can choose between user friendliness and manual flexibility, whichever works best for you.

Will all of my plugins, custom UIs/HUDs, car skins, still be compatible with the Steam version of rFactor 2?
Yes, all external plugins, car skins, and customs UIs/HUDs that are currently compatible with your non-Steam version of rFactor 2 should be fully compatible with the Steam version.

How much longer will the non-Steam version of rFactor 2 be updated?
The update following Build 1084 will be the last update of the non-Steam version.

Will I still be able to run rFactor 2 non-Steam and put up a non-Steam dedicated server in the future?
Yes, there are no plans to remove this feature.

What will happen to the non-Steam matchmaker?
It will continue into the future as well.

I run a league and we might need to stay on a previous Build, is that possible in Steam?
Yes, you can select a previous version.

What do you think of moving over to Steam? Use rF2 on Steam already? What do you think? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited:
You nailed here: http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/27298-Benefits-of-steam?p=401290&viewfull=1#post401290
Thats why i have to use that tool JSGME in automobilista. If i mod original content, it will be overwrite when update (there is no option to partial updates. only automatic or when start the game)
Even it is a good tool, at this moment i have 9,25 gb extra in a folder called MODS. Is not mandatory for me to use this since the mods aren´t oficial and don´t get updated when the game starts but if for any reason i didn´t want any oficial content and just my mods, this is not possible (i think).
I´m wondering now if they can track "ilegal" mods on your installation :fear: :D

Last edited:
You nailed here: http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/27298-Benefits-of-steam?p=401290&viewfull=1#post401290
Thats why i have to use that tool JSGME in automobilista. If i mod original content, it will be overwrite when update (there is no option to partial updates. only automatic or when start the game)
Even it is a good tool, at this moment i have 9,25 gb extra in a folder called MODS. Is not mandatory for me to use this since the mods aren´t oficial and don´t get updated when the game starts but if for any reason i didn´t want any oficial content and just my mods, this is not possible (i think).
I´m wondering now if they can track "ilegal" mods on your installation :fear: :D

"That tool" , JSGME is brilliant in many sims.
It even warns you of of what mods cause the conflicts ! brilliant

I just wish all uploaders of JSGME compat. sims could do more to package them
for it.

I am NOT talking about mods and tracks more along the lines of multi choice addons.

I have repackaged 100's off addons for sims like dividing HUD and helmet and glove sets
And removing conflicting for addons, even mods by removing the conflicts and packaging them separate as another addon ! so I can choose what Thunder I want to use to what mod not the thunder it comes with ...etc etc etc and do it all in mere seconds.

Now we lose much the same usability with non-Steam mod Manager.

Subscribe, unscribed phftt never heard such bs.

Wrong or not, Tim Wheatley sounds like Tim Whatley. So that's the right guy to mock. Try the same joke, funny or not, against a faceless developer inside ISI. It'll be even harder to get a laugh.

Whichever way you cut it non-steam subscribers that have stuck with it since first build and never updated to Steam for various personal reasons have been well and truly shafted.

Tell me mate what company does not know 6-12 months prior what they are going to do......

2015 ..............

Q: "Will a non-Steam version continue to be sold?

A: "We will continue to sell a non-steam version for an undefined period.
We may look to wind down new sales on the non-Steam version, but much like rF1, this is probably a long-term transition, if it happens at all."

...........never happened to mention cutting updates either.

roflmao

I think the funniest thing of all is I can use non-steam packages but only after I download
all the non-steam packages. lol
.........and if I unsubscribe something I can only resubscribe to it by ??? downloading the entire the lot again ?

Don't quote me k ..................

Once you've run it the first time, you can go through and unsubscribe from whatever you don't want (e.g. the truck, the quad, etc.). This uninstalls the content, and you can go all the way down to a Lite install by unsubscribing from the lot.

The only problem is that the packages still stay in the cache folder, taking up 10GB of space. You can delete them, but if you want to re-subscribe to any they won't re-download via the Workshop, you either need to verify the install and re-download all 10GB of packages, or download and use the non-Steam packages.

wt. ??? lmao

Last edited:
It would improve the mess of mods as people hopefully would start to use Steam workshop to upload their mods. Finding mods has been a pain until now, especially with the "missing components" message popping up when trying to join a server without getmod content.

It would improve the mess of mods as people hopefully would start to use Steam workshop to upload their mods. Finding mods has been a pain until now, especially with the "missing components" message popping up when trying to join a server without getmod content.

Nope, won't fix it. Basically any server using a paymod (URD mods are the obvious example) is still going to give you "missing components" unless you've purchased the mod. In this case, it's not even due to poor server administration.

You don`t have to use Steam Workshop or getmod to download mods if the host and the client are using Steam. Anyone joining via Steam Match Maker will be able to download the content direct from your server's packages folder. This is not meant to replace getmod, it's mainly so that you can share content that doesn't have a GET url, with those that join your server.
New package download system and MM filters are good example`s about Steam user support and futures which is never going to be implemented to non Steam version of rFactor2 and this is just "tip of the iceberg" :roflmao:
Migrate to Steam guys there are much more pro`s then con`s ;)

Last edited:
I hope not! rfmod yes, rfcmp's, No! This will have various side effects! Even on a 1Gbit server.
To avoid this you must remove all rfcmp`s from your server package folder...

//Edit: didn`t could see Aris answer. This happen often to me. I get an email notificaten about an answer in a watched thread. When i click on the provided link, i cant see all answers...

• Deleted member 130869

Would there be anyone willing to assist me in creating a .rfcmp install of my F-ISI 2012 livery pack? Just to make it easier for online usage and making it available on the workshop. Possibly even implementing minor changes like penalties to specific assists, etc.

STEAM!!! WHY! anyone ever endorsed the HATED STEAM i will never know. STEAM continues to ruin and destroy most forms of free modding and gaming. its ALL about Money with those animals. So many rules and regulations (the total Opposite of GOG) I hate Steam with a passion, Itys the worst parts of ALL Gaming and modding In the World WHY anyone continues to use them at all is beyond me and always has been from day one. Now rFactor and ISI have fallen to their will. That's the Total End of ISI Games as far as i'm concerned. (Or ANY OTHER STEAM GAME) Thank GOD we have GTR2 and the Original rFactor! NO wonder cracked games are so popular.

You do realise that this happened six years ago.

He don't even realised that even the original rFactor and GTR2 is on Steam now (isn't GTR2 on Steam the only "safe" way to play GTR2 on modern computers with regards to starforce etc.?)
Nor that there are tons of mods for Steam games, even rFactor 2.
Nor that ISI are basically out of the gaming world anyway after the sale of rF2.

So, I think the answer to your post would be. "No".

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back