rFactor 2 non Steam Development to Cease in "Coming Months"

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
rfactor 2 steam only move.jpg

ISI have released a useful FAQ document aimed at providing some key answers for rFactor 2 owners in the transition from standalone installs to full migration onto the Steam platform.

Following the release on Steam of ISI's flagship title rFactor 2 back in November 2015 it was perhaps inevitable development would shift away from standalone installations over time.
ISI have now confirmed non-Steam rFactor 2 installs will not be supported with new builds and updates in the next few months.

Although the official announcement states that development focus will be geared towards Steam going forward, and only "recommend users convert their copy of rFactor 2 to Steam to fully take advantage of the new features as they become available" the community is in no doubt this means support for non-Steam copies of the game will be coming to an end sooner rather than later for the title.

No doubt this move by ISI makes sense bringing all owners of the game under one platform but the news has already started up quite a few challenging comments from community members invested in the title.

Take a look at the Q&A from ISI below and let us have your opinions in the comments section at the bottom of this article.

ISI FAQ Q&A:

How do I convert to rFactor 2 Steam version?

Here you will find the full instructions on converting rFactor 2 to Steam.

https://commerce.rfactor.net/steam-transfer-form

Can I convert my lifetime online to Steam?
Yes, lifetime will be carried over to your rFactor 2 Steam version.

What happens to my non-Steam yearly online subscription when I convert?
For those who still have a decent amount of time remaining on their account, we can work with them to transfer that time over to Steam. Please use the following email to make the request: steam-up@rfactor.net

Will I still be able to get a Lite version of rFactor 2 on Steam?
To make a “strip down” version of rFactor 2, which looks and behaves exactly like a “Lite” version, you'll simply need to unsubscribe from all content on Steam Workshop.

Can I still install content manually or will I have to use workshop?
No need to choose, both are possible. You will still be able to place .rfcmps and .rfmods in your package folder located in your Steam rFactor 2 directory to install any piece of content manually, exactly the same as before.

Is hosting a dedicated server via Steam very different or more involved?
Actually, Steam offers multiple ways of hosting, and they are all fully compatible.
We now have a dedicated server distribution available via SteamCMD, which functions as a very lightweight version of the Dedicated Server, available to anyone -- no need to log in to the Steam client. Updating the dedicated server distribution is as simple as re-running the command line script once a new Build becomes available.
For Steam client users, via the “Tools” menu in Steam, a separate dedicated server can be installed and will show up as another entry in your gaming library. The server will be auto-updated when new Builds are released, completely maintenance-free for you.
So you can choose between user friendliness and manual flexibility, whichever works best for you.

Will all of my plugins, custom UIs/HUDs, car skins, still be compatible with the Steam version of rFactor 2?
Yes, all external plugins, car skins, and customs UIs/HUDs that are currently compatible with your non-Steam version of rFactor 2 should be fully compatible with the Steam version.

How much longer will the non-Steam version of rFactor 2 be updated?
The update following Build 1084 will be the last update of the non-Steam version.

Will I still be able to run rFactor 2 non-Steam and put up a non-Steam dedicated server in the future?
Yes, there are no plans to remove this feature.

What will happen to the non-Steam matchmaker?
It will continue into the future as well.

I run a league and we might need to stay on a previous Build, is that possible in Steam?
Yes, you can select a previous version.

What do you think of moving over to Steam? Use rF2 on Steam already? What do you think? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited:
Are you sure about this Marcel? I tried starting rF2 in Steam Offline mode and it's stuck at the window "Auto-subscribing to workshop items", as if the rF2 launcher can't detect that Steam is offline.

I tried this myself on my own system yesterday. I turned off my network, then started Steam which of course then prompted my if I wanted to start in off-line mode. I said yes, and could then start rFactor. I briefly got that same "Auto-subscribing to workshop items" window but it went away and I could start playing.

How long did you wait for that window to disappear? Did you really shut down your network, or only launched Steam in off-line mode with the network still enabled? I'll try reproducing your scenario if I can get more input.

And that's the problem man... this is something that should be there from the begining. It's not ok to release this while still working to make the dedi server availble for accounts that do not own rF2 or the tool to better administrate this.

From the day we released the rFactor 2 version on Steam we have been providing a separately available dedicated server. We chose to use the Steam tools to do that, because we figured that's what Steam users will be familiar with.

So while I understand your point about providing better tools for administering a dedicated server, I disagree that the Steam version is incomplete or harder to work with than the non-Steam one.

I tried this myself on my own system yesterday. I turned off my network, then started Steam which of course then prompted my if I wanted to start in off-line mode. I said yes, and could then start rFactor. I briefly got that same "Auto-subscribing to workshop items" window but it went away and I could start playing.

How long did you wait for that window to disappear? Did you really shut down your network, or only launched Steam in off-line mode with the network still enabled? I'll try reproducing your scenario if I can get more input.

I did test this too. If I shut down my network then started Steam and I got the same message as you"Auto-subscribing to workshop items" window but it went away and I could start playing.

Thanks for the input Marcel. I just put Steam into offline mode but kept my network running, maybe this is the difference. I waited 10 minutes for the little window to disappear...

Besides: As I followed some of the debates over at the ISI forum I get more and more the feeling that this complete shift to Steam is more like out-cashing the product and opening it to others to make money from mod sells via the workshop system and shutting down the business on their own side. Maybe because ISI has lost interest in further rF2 development and they want to concentrate on new stuff they are involved now mentioned some days back in their forums.

There is no cash to be made from Steam workshop, in fact Steam totally banned payware mods after failed experiment with Skyrim. It only serves the community to have everyone using Steam workshop and thus more modders actually bothering to upload their stuff there.

Thanks for the input Marcel. I just put Steam into offline mode but kept my network running, maybe this is the difference. I waited 10 minutes for the little window to disappear...

Thank you for confirming that. I will try this scenario myself.

In the end this should not be a big problem. Steam in off-line mode is designed to be used when you're really off-line, so for now I would recommend simply not using off-line mode when you're on-line.

I wonder how long it will take for ISI to start sell some DLC in order to survive as a company.
As far as i know the free DLCs are financed by other commercial activity.

However i think there might be a future for modders to sell licensed cars and tracks as DLC.
@Marcel Offermans ? Is it possible with steam? and are their intentions to implement this? I think some modding groups would be interested.

Talking purely from a technical point of view, there are options for that in Steam. As we all know, outside of Steam some modders are already selling their content (URD is probably the best known example). I would say that if the community is interested in this, it's an option that could be considered.

My personal opinion is that this could be a great way to get some high quality, licensed content into the game and I would definitely be willing to pay for that. I'm sure others will have a different opinion.

My opinion is that ISI trying to sell mods is pretty scummy considering they are still charging for Multiplayer.

I have no problem with URD because they have scratch made mods that were made without involvement from ISI, except for some minor help. More importantly, ISI doesn't get a penny from URD as far as I can tell. When Tim has said that they will distribute licenses to groups like 3PA. I doubt it's going to happen for free, obviously, ISI gets a cut of the profits (hence possibility of using steam's DLC platform as was implied by ISI themselves).

At that point we're not talking mods, we're talking outsourced DLC. I know a lot of people are okay with such shitty practices, but I don't accept developers double dipping. They flat out shouldn't get a penny from it considering they're already charging people yearly/lifetime fee on top of the base price. If all profits profits go to modders then I might consider it.

And this isn't some hate against DLC in general. I have stated multiple times that I would prefer DLC instead of online pass. It seems we're gonna have both, great.

It only serves the "community" of those that WANT to use Steam and WANT to use Workshop.

Please don't assume that you ARE the community. :)

rF2 has no other modding central than workshop at the present moment, I'm sure you can agree that the current situation with mods all over place on the Internet benefits no one. I'm looking forward to hear some stronger reasons for not using Steam than just that fact that one doesn't like it, without any reason given.

Well, firstly I'm allowed to like and dislike whatever I please. :)

While I appreciate many choose the Workshop for it's convenience, I prefer control to convenience.
Sure you can have your shopping delivered for you, but you know the supermarket will send you all the crap with the shortest expiry date on it.
We'd sell our souls for a few seconds of convenience (and take a look around you....).

I use Steam when I have to, not because I want to.
Sure it's convenient, but if it closed down tomorrow we'd all have zero to show for it.
I'm not massively into shelling out good cash for things I don't ultimately own.

I'm not here to question other peoples choices and opinions on the service, just to air my own.

rF2 has no other modding central than workshop at the present moment

LOL, are you kidding? ISI set up a download area in the forum, modders didn't use it. ISI created the remote mod interface in the launcher, modders didn't use it. Now there's Steam and modders only half use it.

What makes you believe Steam will become the modding central when modders clearly choose not to take part in such an endeavor?

Unfortunately the software and content industry for some time have been uncomfortable with the idea of you actually owning what you paid for. Now you pay for licences to use the software/content at their discretion, with TOS basically totally stacked in their favour. Ask people how well that works when DRM servers fail, or are permanently shut down, or the developer denies you access, or your internet fails, leaving you with Gbs of unusably encrypted music/movies/ebooks/games.

Rant aside, Steam pretty much pioneered the electronic game distribution idea and have refined it into a generally pretty slick service with remarkably few problems considering the enormous amount of software and customers involved. And IIRC Gabe Newell has stated that in the highly unlikely event of Valve going tits up all users would receive a patch in effect converting their Steam library to a permanent offline thing.

I've used Steam without hassle for 10 years. That doesn't mean I love the whole DRM and software licencing thing but as long as it largely stays out of my way then I can deal with it. If Steam allows ISI easier centralised development/deployment of content and features, and grows their userbase, then maybe all the transition palaver and PR ineptitude will eventually be worth it.

For a laugh, see this thread and this thread. My favorite quotes from the first one are below. The second one which was about voting for Steam greenlight for rFactor 1 shows concern from many for rFactor 2, along with loads of b.s. from Tim Wheatley.

I’m not entirely sure what you mean by “abandon” non-Steam and what exactly makes you think ISI would abandon the non-Steam version anyway?

“It is a simple global rule that introducing a disruptive (especially redundant) element into a system will impact the existing system etc. ” <– i.e. dropping non-Steam because is redundant
What the hell are u talking about?!

Frankly, I’m bored of reading bullcrap. Goodbye.

Last edited:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back