rFactor 2 non Steam Development to Cease in "Coming Months"

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
rfactor 2 steam only move.jpg

ISI have released a useful FAQ document aimed at providing some key answers for rFactor 2 owners in the transition from standalone installs to full migration onto the Steam platform.

Following the release on Steam of ISI's flagship title rFactor 2 back in November 2015 it was perhaps inevitable development would shift away from standalone installations over time.
ISI have now confirmed non-Steam rFactor 2 installs will not be supported with new builds and updates in the next few months.

Although the official announcement states that development focus will be geared towards Steam going forward, and only "recommend users convert their copy of rFactor 2 to Steam to fully take advantage of the new features as they become available" the community is in no doubt this means support for non-Steam copies of the game will be coming to an end sooner rather than later for the title.

No doubt this move by ISI makes sense bringing all owners of the game under one platform but the news has already started up quite a few challenging comments from community members invested in the title.

Take a look at the Q&A from ISI below and let us have your opinions in the comments section at the bottom of this article.

ISI FAQ Q&A:

How do I convert to rFactor 2 Steam version?

Here you will find the full instructions on converting rFactor 2 to Steam.

https://commerce.rfactor.net/steam-transfer-form

Can I convert my lifetime online to Steam?
Yes, lifetime will be carried over to your rFactor 2 Steam version.

What happens to my non-Steam yearly online subscription when I convert?
For those who still have a decent amount of time remaining on their account, we can work with them to transfer that time over to Steam. Please use the following email to make the request: steam-up@rfactor.net

Will I still be able to get a Lite version of rFactor 2 on Steam?
To make a “strip down” version of rFactor 2, which looks and behaves exactly like a “Lite” version, you'll simply need to unsubscribe from all content on Steam Workshop.

Can I still install content manually or will I have to use workshop?
No need to choose, both are possible. You will still be able to place .rfcmps and .rfmods in your package folder located in your Steam rFactor 2 directory to install any piece of content manually, exactly the same as before.

Is hosting a dedicated server via Steam very different or more involved?
Actually, Steam offers multiple ways of hosting, and they are all fully compatible.
We now have a dedicated server distribution available via SteamCMD, which functions as a very lightweight version of the Dedicated Server, available to anyone -- no need to log in to the Steam client. Updating the dedicated server distribution is as simple as re-running the command line script once a new Build becomes available.
For Steam client users, via the “Tools” menu in Steam, a separate dedicated server can be installed and will show up as another entry in your gaming library. The server will be auto-updated when new Builds are released, completely maintenance-free for you.
So you can choose between user friendliness and manual flexibility, whichever works best for you.

Will all of my plugins, custom UIs/HUDs, car skins, still be compatible with the Steam version of rFactor 2?
Yes, all external plugins, car skins, and customs UIs/HUDs that are currently compatible with your non-Steam version of rFactor 2 should be fully compatible with the Steam version.

How much longer will the non-Steam version of rFactor 2 be updated?
The update following Build 1084 will be the last update of the non-Steam version.

Will I still be able to run rFactor 2 non-Steam and put up a non-Steam dedicated server in the future?
Yes, there are no plans to remove this feature.

What will happen to the non-Steam matchmaker?
It will continue into the future as well.

I run a league and we might need to stay on a previous Build, is that possible in Steam?
Yes, you can select a previous version.

What do you think of moving over to Steam? Use rF2 on Steam already? What do you think? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited:
As I wrote on the RF2 Forum, this is hugely disappointing. I dislike Steam, I gave it three chances with three separate games and in each instance it was a mess. RF2 was selected not just but also because contrary to AC and pCARS it was the only non-steam modern racing sim available.

This forced move to a DRM solution that has a lot of downfalls really sours the whole experience with ISI which so far has been very good. I for one will never fund them another project.

Personally, I had fewer problems with steam version than standalone one, but I understand people's frustration. Yet another serious fail at communication obviously rubs people the wrong way.

Not so long ago ISI was saying that rfactor 2 is not coming to steam at all, now support for nonsteam version will be limited:roflmao: head scratching attitude towards their product, but at this point nothing surprises me.

The only thing I don't like is the matchmaking needing to keep Steam in online mode. But Steam itself is just fine.
2 problems (already posted in ISI forums):
- Looking at this it seems like the dedi server will install the whole ISI content and then we'll have to remove what we don't want. That's just dumb. Should be a lite install and then people add what they need by subscribing in the workshop, especially considering it's a modding platform...
- They said they are still working on getting the dedi server tool to work on accounts that do not own rF2. This should be there from the begining.... :rolleyes:

More plug and play, less bs. Please.

- Looking at this it seems like the dedi server will install the whole ISI content and then we'll have to remove what we don't want. That's just dumb. Should be a lite install and then people add what they need by subscribing in the workshop, especially considering it's a modding platform...
- They said they are still working on getting the dedi server tool to work on accounts that do not own rF2.

Isn't that fixed in that you can download and setup a Dedi server with an anonymous Steam account, thats how Presto servers are setup, we just add the content we want when we want it, how to is found in this guide.....

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=553088396

but right at this minute there's 3 different ways to setup a Dedi server with Rf2, in my opinion ISI are trying harder than most to bring Rf2 to as many people as possible, how many other games give as many options to setup a server and to be fair they are giving plenty notice that non-Steam need to move, its after next build (I'm still non-Steam, subs run out 16th next month so I'm in the same situation as many, although I knew around a year ago I'd need to move eventually, plenty notice if you ask me)

but right at this minute there's 3 different ways to setup a Dedi server with Rf2, in my opinion ISI are trying harder than most to bring Rf2 to as many people as possible, how many other games give as many options to setup a server and to be fair they are giving plenty notice that non-Steam need to move, its after next build (I'm still non-Steam, subs run out 16th next month so I'm in the same situation as many, although I knew around a year ago I'd need to move eventually, plenty notice if you ask me)
My idea I posted in ISI forums

Make the dedi server in Steam install the lite version
When you open it for the first time a window appear.
"Do you want to install all the ISI content?"
"Yes - I want all the content"
"No - Let me choose what will be installed"
If click yes subscribe to all workshop items.
If click no redirect Steam to the workshop page.

Simple, no rocket science, no other alternatives needed.
Now if they did that to the client side too would be perfect.

I don't mind steam for other games, keeps them up to date and all that jazz but it's a different story when comes to rf2. I often keep one install for testing, one for pick up and play and one for serious league racing.
Now yes, it's still possible to have multiple installs with steam but it seems more of a hazzle then before and to force steam on to people is just shitty move imo.

Why not continue support both steam and non-steam versions ISI?

• Deleted member 130869

Very sad with this. Like many others I do prefer having ownership and control of my local installers and not relying on a third-party service with episodes of troublesome customer service behavior in the past, and overbearing terms of service. This is not what I agreed to when I first purchase the game (standard), but now I saw myself forced to move my lifetime version over.

Before anyone installs their game I recommend paying a visit to your Workshop tab in your Steam profile. There you can access the ISI workshop and unsubscribe from the desired content and Race Series: http://steamcommunity.com/app/365960/workshop/

ps: The code submission is instantaneous and of course very easy. I have two of my four licenses on Steam already, and got two on sale.

Last edited by a moderator:
Isi was the only dev. that was doing both and it was telling when they had major problems with the last update. They probably didn't want to go through that again and they can't make everybody happy (anybody) so this was inevitable.

Everybody knows that ISI aren't a big group, the complete opposite really, 3-4 guys?, but anyhoo with the announcement of support scaling back a bit due to other projects it makes sense for them to only have 1 game on 1 platform to deal with, if everyone goes Steam it will all be much easier for them and we might get things quicker (or easier), I really don't see the big deal about it all, its been known for a year that we'd be moving to Steam.

To be honest as well I've used Steam on my PC, the wife's PC, and both kid's PC's for around 10 years now and not once had any problem's to speak of, once or twice the Steam servers have went down but so have ISI or Race07 or Iracing's servers so who really cares as long as it works.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back