rFactor 2: New Track Data Preview

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
ISI Track Team Data.jpg

The ISI Track Team have shown off an image from the latest set of new data captured by the studio. With very little in the way of visual clues, can you tell what track the pictures are from?

The guys and girls behind making official ISI track content in rFactor 2 recently revealed 1,998 reference images were taken at a recent track survey, could the image at the top of this page show the first fruits of that recent data capture? Usually I'm pretty good at spotting a location with minimal reference images, but I must admit I'm struggling to work out where in the world the picture relates to. For me the side view of the building does actually feel a little like a UK club track such as Croft or Thruxton, but realistically an American based high profile studio such as ISI would probably be looking at more internationally renowned locations.

This article isn't really "news" as such, other than confirmation another new track for rFactor 2 is in the works, but I thought it might be fun to use the collective knowledge of our readers here at RaceDepartment to see if we can work out where this new track is.

So, let the guessing begin....

rFactor 2 features prominently here at RaceDepartment. We have a great IndyCar World Series league running at the moment and our freshly launched RDLMS Club Racing mix class endurance races taking place on Friday's and Saturday's. Come and have a look at the fun on track and drop by our rFactor 2 forum for news and discussions around the ISI simulation. While you are here, don't forget to stop by the rFactor 2 mods section for a perusal of the latest mods available to download.

Do ya know what it is yet? Any ideas what track the picture at the top of the page is from? What would you love to see added to rF2 next? Lets have a chat about it below..

Last edited:
Guys, don't compare AMS to rF2. AMS is heavy "based" on rF engine but they are reworking a lot of code and they add already a lot of new features. rF2 is great but less appealing , I spent most of the time setting it up or downloading/updating mods (because there is a real lack of content you know) wich looks so different each other that sometimes I am not sure is the same game...

That's funny because rF2 has more official content than AMS, both cars and tracks.

I am having so much fun with RF2.
I purchased it at launch. Now years later have spent €9 on the URD mods and thats it. So I'm down to about £12 a year now and dropping.
This year I am racing in Formula SimRacing and have the honour of commentating in WC. The highest standard of sim racing in the world on the most authentic and technical sim available. Nothing else has its fidelity. Physics, tyre model (all detailed in posts above). 6 tyres incl 2 wets, actual real world weather.
Even the real f1 teams have to settle for RF Pro, which is based on an older game engine.

The online racing is so complete now I have no time for single player. This week I raced in a 5 hr multiclass at Nurburgring gp, a race at the Nordschliefe and will now start practice again for FSR Spa.
Next month a 12 hr at Road America.
In FSR we run a 20 race series using real world f1 tracks. They are all available for free download.
I wish I had time to drive some more tracks and cars on offer.
Each to his own. Some prefer graphics over physics. Thats not my tribe.
The core for me is the physics model and its the best. Content is greater than I have time to sample. Graphics.....its good enough. I'm too busy managing weight transfer, tyre temp and life, under/oversteer on tyres that have overheated to fully appreciate eye candy. Too busy analysing motec to worry about dx9 or dx10.
Now all ppl can enjoy what they want. I loved F1 2011. If Codies bit the bullet and paid for even a ISI motor (rf1) engine like EA did in 99-2002 I would drive it a lot.
But once you are hooked in real world simulation physics nothing else will do.
But please dont try to tell me that RF2 isnt awesome cos I know better.

Maybe we need a working definitiin of sim vs game. Heres an attempt.
Game: A platform that uses the structure , venues and features of a sporting event and allows the player to experience playing through it first hand.
A simulation: Attempts recreate virtually to the highest possible fidelity the real world physics and outcomes of an event.
Oh sorry that was getting a bit off topic. This new track-cool.

Last edited:
Maybe we need a working definitiin of sim vs game. .

Or maybe we could just go with ISIs Tim Wheatley

I hate how defensive people are over the word sim versus game; Our sim is a sim; Our sim is a game.

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/09/11/the-flare-path-back-on-track/

On topic, while kart tracks and ovals are not everyone's cup of tea, given rF2 features vehicles which drive on these kind of tracks, its good that ISI are providing them.

No just a different way to talk about a dev studio problem and trying to be funny at the same time...
You guys are a bit harsh when talking about rF2, maybe a little over-protective...

"maybe a little over-protective..."

Pfft, you have a dev studio that 120 per cent puts simulation first and foremost, and yet its ragged on regularly by so called "sim racers", I love sim gaming in general, and heavily involved in flight and military sim community , and I can tell only in the race "sim" community will you find the best technical sim get torn to shreds regularly, for no other reason then a perceived lack of content and oh no not as good graphics as what multi million dollar studios have, that couldn't cobble decent physics together if they tried, oh and defensive?, lets see these same kind of comments in this thread on a AC news article and watch the outrage at daring to critique there.

I guess that getting one track every few years is one of the perks of not offering DLC's and charge for an empty online service, congratulations.

And no this isnt funny or even close to the truth, its the kinda off the cuff comment that some people will come along and take as gospel and proceed to spread as fact.

"maybe a little over-protective..."

Pfft, you have a dev studio that 120 per cent puts simulation first and foremost, and yet its ragged on regularly by so called "sim racers", I love sim gaming in general, and heavily involved in flight and military sim community , and I can tell only in the race "sim" community will you find the best technical sim get torn to shreds regularly, for no other reason then a perceived lack of content and oh no not as good graphics as what multi million dollar studios have, that couldn't cobble decent physics together if they tried, oh and defensive?, lets see these same kind of comments in this thread on a AC news article and watch the outrage at daring to critique there.

And no this isnt funny or even close to the truth, its the kinda off the cuff comment that some people will come along and take as gospel and proceed to spread as fact.

Well, this is always a point of view problem. You can bash a dev studio just to say your beloved sim is better or just bash them because you see them waste a great product. rFactor 2 is a great sim, can be easily the best in the market but...
...they say this is a modding platform but modding is difficult as hell, we had proper tools and tutorials just this year...
...graphic is good but lacks of optimization (see the 100+ posts on ISI forums)...
...a lot of content but often with different level of detail (Montreal...), not updated and with no use togheter...
...very slow developing times...
So, if you see a good product, maybe the best in the market, killed by a wrong way to manage it...wouldn't you be upset?
Being honest about the development state of the sim isn't the same to say it is the worse, if you like a product you should be able to see the flaws and face them...even with humor or harsh tones...

And yes, AC forums suffer of the same problem...not the Reiza one, maybe because devs and users works togheter...

Last edited:

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 293 15.3%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 203 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 199 10.4%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 147 7.7%
  • < 5 years