rFactor 2 new Oval track previews

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
rFactor 2 Bristol 1.jpg

The Image Space Incorporated Track Team have revealed preview images of yet more new Oval content heading to the rFactor 2 simulation, this time the 3PA Fallston Speedway.

The preview images require little imagination to work out that this new 3PA unlicensed track is of course the legendary Bristol Motor Speedway in Bristol, Tennessee.

Housing a considerable 160,000 fans Bristol Motor Speedway is the fourth largest sports venue in America and the eighth largest in the world, sitting firmly at the top of many seasoned NASCAR followers list of favourite venues. Known as the loudest NASCAR track on the current calendar due to its steep banking and amphitheatre like grandstand arrangement, Bristol is an iconic short Oval location and one of the jewels of the NASCAR season.

rFactor 2 Bristol 2.jpg

rFactor 2 Bristol 3.jpg

Recently releasing 3 teaser images with the promise of more to follow in the coming days, nothing is yet know of when Oval fans can expect to find this new track in rFactor 2. Judging by the released previews and the ISI Track Team's record of previewing content close to completion one would imagine Fallston is close to finished and due release in the very near future.

Following on from the launch of ISI's own StockCar content the sim has slowly built up its oval collection and is fast becoming a go to sim for those who enjoy America's finest form of open and closed wheel motorsport.

Take a look at the rFactor 2 sub forum for regular news updates and community led discussions on ISI's premium racing simulator. Take up the challenge and race against fellow RD community members in our rFactor 2 racing club and have a look through our rF2 mod library for a selection of the top quality user created content available in this sim.

Do you race Ovals in rF2? Like what you see? How do you think rF2 is progressing of late? Let us know in the comments section below!

What I don't like is that the AI on oval feels bad, and no one seems to be interested in RF2 oval on simracingsystem or RD US (or probably RF2 road racing too). I'm not good at oval, but RF2 just doesn't give me any incentive at all to use it to practice oval racing (although I'm interested in it). I think maybe I still have to either install NR2003, or renew my iRacing membership.

You could try the AI on "PalmSprings"(Homestead) or "AppleValley"(Fontana). I started to race these both two weeks ago and didn´t expect too much, but the AI works fine for me, especially on "PalmSprings". I use high agression Settings (80-90) and a low AI-Limiter (3-5, to keep the cars closer together).

Wow you pay once a few bugs extra for lifetime and no worries you have it forever. There are enough leagues out there to make it worth. AI is good, but nothing comes close to racing other humans.

I only do online racing here at RD and I do not intend to pay twice for any MP racing. ISI are wrong to charge for online access. No other sim does it (apart from Iracing). Hence why the majority of sim racers will be happy to give RF2 a miss. I'll bet you anything that if ISI made the online free, RF2 would expand it's user base immensely. I use it for offline only and I love it.

I recommend you to take a look in the dev corner to check wich stuff got released and updated, not the forum. It is a nice mix of everything with a slight shift for oval racing, wich is natural as there were zero ovals besides Indy before the Stockcars were released. And even those have a road config that you can take to any roadcourse you like.

The only two new cars released in the last year were the AC 427 and the Dissenter, everything else was updated but not new content.

No FIA Grade 1 track or similar "high level motorsport track" released for Non-Oval racers during the last year.

These two are fact, and pretty much tell the story.

That even my friends from SimHQMotorsports, very early and very avid supporters of RF2, advise against running offline on Ovals because the AI is atrocious tells the rest of the story for someone racing offline.

And no, in response to the guy who said RF2 does properly support endurance - no, because there's no way to save during race, and the AI can't handle rain tires. So for singleplayer offline what you are left with is sprint racing (GT3, Formula One, which would suit me fine) on tracks that either don't exsist or are illegal conversions. I concende the point that AC doesn't do rain or night racing, but for sprint at least there is plenty of high quality legal content (stock and mods).

The only two new cars released in the last year were the AC 427 and the Dissenter, everything else was updated but not new content.
There was a little more.

That even my friends from SimHQMotorsports, very early and very avid supporters of RF2, advise against running offline on Ovals because the AI is atrocious tells the rest of the story for someone racing offline.
The oval AI is WIP and is improving all the time.

And no, in response to the guy who said RF2 does properly support endurance - no, because there's no way to save during race, and the AI can't handle rain tires.
Major D. rF2 has had resume from replay savegames since build 125, that goes way beyond simple savegames Now show me those other sims which have that feature? Also AI can handle rain tires fine.

Last edited:
I only do online racing here at RD and I do not intend to pay twice for any MP racing. ISI are wrong to charge for online access. No other sim does it (apart from Iracing). Hence why the majority of sim racers will be happy to give RF2 a miss. I'll bet you anything that if ISI made the online free, RF2 would expand it's user base immensely. I use it for offline only and I love it.
Eevery other sim charges you for DLC, so whats the point? A PC for gaming is at least 800€, a decent wheel 300 to 1000€, rFactor2 45€ und online access something like 35€ for a lifetime (in the past). Just looked it up now. On steam AC with all packs is 55€ (5 more DLCs and it is 80€), rF2 offline is 30€ (before it was 45€), rf2 with lifetime is 80€ or if you go by yearly subscription it is 30 + 33€ for 3 years. RD premium membership is 10€/year and was more expensive in the past. How cheap do you have to be?! Why is paying for DLC so much better which leads to people not being able to race certain stuff that would be required for races.
I am just sorry for you that you can squeeze out the 10€ per year (80Cent/month, so basically 500g of Spaghetti) to miss out on the best functioning multiplayer of the newer sims.

I just can't stand people living in the first world having equipment worth more than 1000€ complaining about a monthly payment which every 6year old can afforde in the first world...
I mean we are not talking iRacing rip off style where you easily pay 300€ to 500€ over 3 years for content and subscriptions.

You could try the AI on "PalmSprings"(Homestead) or "AppleValley"(Fontana). I started to race these both two weeks ago and didn´t expect too much, but the AI works fine for me, especially on "PalmSprings". I use high agression Settings (80-90) and a low AI-Limiter (3-5, to keep the cars closer together).
I ran AI on PalmSprings last week and AI slowed down a little too much in corners, and I even had 2 AI cars warping on the track. Don't know how that happened.

Eevery other sim charges you for DLC, so whats the point? A PC for gaming is at least 800€, a decent wheel 300 to 1000€, rFactor2 45€ und online access something like 35€ for a lifetime (in the past). Just looked it up now. On steam AC with all packs is 55€ (5 more DLCs and it is 80€), rF2 offline is 30€ (before it was 45€), rf2 with lifetime is 80€ or if you go by yearly subscription it is 30 + 33€ for 3 years. RD premium membership is 10€/year and was more expensive in the past. How cheap do you have to be?! Why is paying for DLC so much better which leads to people not being able to race certain stuff that would be required for races.
I am just sorry for you that you can squeeze out the 10€ per year (80Cent/month, so basically 500g of Spaghetti) to miss out on the best functioning multiplayer of the newer sims.

I just can't stand people living in the first world having equipment worth more than 1000€ complaining about a monthly payment which every 6year old can afforde in the first world...
I mean we are not talking iRacing rip off style where you easily pay 300€ to 500€ over 3 years for content and subscriptions.
I can understand many people's frustration about RF2's subscription fee. When they pay for DLCs, they feel their money is going directly for the man hours put in making cars and tracks. When they pay for RD's membership, they feel their money is going directly for the server RD rents for club race, content hosting, racing academy, along with other services. When they pay for super expensive iRacing, they feel their money is going directly to the man hours put in maintaining insane amount of work in network, race hosting, expensive licenses, laserscanned tracks etc.

However when they pay for RF2 online subscription fee, what they feel is that their money is going to pay for the man hour put in making a couple of lines of code to block people from using multiplayer because ISI can.

I can understand many people's frustration about RF2's subscription fee. When they pay for DLCs, they feel their money is going directly for the man hours put in making cars and tracks. When they pay for RD's membership, they feel their money is going directly for the server RD rents for club race, content hosting, racing academy, along with other services. When they pay for super expensive iRacing, they feel their money is going directly to the man hours put in maintaining insane amount of work in network, race hosting, expensive licenses, laserscanned tracks etc.

However when they pay for RF2 online subscription fee, what they feel is that their money is going to pay for the man hour put in making a couple of lines of code to block people from using multiplayer because ISI can.
Yep, in rF2 it doesn't feel like there is much return at all with this payment method. The pace of content, updates, development requested by the community is so slow mostly because ISI does not have the money to do it so it gives even more a feeling that paying for online does not make much sense.
Inb4 "OMG you get free DLC and you are complaining" from the fanboys.

And no, in response to the guy who said RF2 does properly support endurance - no, because there's no way to save during race
lol you can resume from replay, heck you can even resume a online race from replay (the other player cars will become AIs of course)

Last edited:
I ran AI on PalmSprings last week and AI slowed down a little too much in corners, and I even had 2 AI cars warping on the track. Don't know how that happened.
It looks like your CPU is being overstressed. I suggest you press "CTRL+C" to bring up the CPU/GPU utilization indicator, and then follow the instructions in the following link http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.p...hat-does-it-show?p=32001&viewfull=1#post32001

What CPU do you have and how many AI cars do you run at a time?
If you're on a laptop, your CPU might be throttling due to overheating.

Another cause might be with older steering wheels not handling the high FFB update rates.
In your "Controller.JSON" file you can change this setting.

"Skip updates":3,
"Skip updates#":"Apparently some drivers can't handle a quick FFB update rate, so use this hack to skip the given number of updates (0=full update rate, 1=half, 2=one-third, 3=one-quarter, etc.)",

Last edited:
  • Deleted member 130869

I can understand many people's frustration about RF2's subscription fee. When they pay for DLCs, they feel their money is going directly for the man hours put in making cars and tracks.

Hopefully there won't be paid content for rF2 or the whole excuse for the very expensive Lifetime version will be negated.

@Will Mazeo how do you know there is no money? Remember how ISI is always proud to have no debt and be able to support itself through its different ventures? That and the argument that they're a small team of 12 and we shouldn't expect anything, etc (forgetting contractors and freelancers, which is very common in this), just is something a couple of specific people have brought up by themselves in the past.

Hopefully there won't be paid content for rF2 or the whole excuse for the very expensive Lifetime version will be negated.

@Will Mazeo how do you know there is no money? Remember how ISI is always proud to have no debt and be able to support itself through its different ventures? That and the argument that they're a small team of 12 and we shouldn't expect anything, etc (forgetting contractors and freelancers, which is very common in this), just is something a couple of specific people have brought up by themselves in the past.
The "no debt" part is what makes me sure "there is no money" (I'm not saying they are starving lol don't be like most people on the internet that takes everything literally...). I appreciate ISI operating at no debt tho, I think it's the right thing to do for any company. But this is the limiting factor for them to do something, just my 2 cents. Ofc we all could be wrong ;)

You get to drive online with the most advanced racing simulation.

That's not what ISI said.
I can drive online in AMS or even Assetto (which I dislike) and have as much fun as in rF2.
Not what they said but looks like what it means, at least to me.

Last edited:
I can drive online in AMS or even Assetto (which I dislike) and have as much fun as in rF2.
Not what they said but looks like what it means, at least to me.
None of those have a thermomechanical physical tire model, chassis flex, wet weather and fully dynamic rubber and drying line. Nor do they have oval rules, nor as comprehensive endurance features, mod packaging system, auto-downloading of mods and Steam workshop integration among many other things.
They are different products, with different features and aims. rF2's aim is to enhance the state of the art regarding vehicle simulation and platform robustness and flexibility.

Last edited:
You really need to open your mind a little sheesh .. it took years for ISI to finally get the stock cars into the game and now finally some good tracks to race on .. Oval racing is extremely difficult , I'de bet you wouldn't last long in a oval race (go ahead and say I would never try one caz i hate ovals' lol;) their are so many more elements to oval racing compared to road racing that a road only driver would be left in the dust .. you need keen set up skills and a quick thumb on your pit menu , as you must master the pit stops to have a chance .. take 2 tires ? 4 tires ? how many will the guy in front take? gas only ? you also can adjust the set up during the race as conditions change like wedge, tire pressure ectt .. i'ts all in the pit menu , these things can win or loose a race ,you have to master the draft and keep it off the wall ..most haters of ovals hate it caz that cant set the car proper to be fast so they just say "aww left turm bah" ..It takes skill and patience witch a lot of drivers just don't have ...Once you have raced side by side, nose to tail lap after lap trying to get an edge with 10 to 20 other cars right on your ass, or made a pass with the draft and nailed your pit stop you will see what its all about .. Its not just left turns ... Dont like it ,don't play it ! but to bash it is just simply wrong epically when you don't know squat about it .. The new dissenter is brilliant on the ovals .. But I guess you will never know .. ;-)

Everyone has their Preferences regarding racing series and simulators,In the end its all the same which ever way you look at it. It sad that we argue among ourselves over which is better or worse. Just enjoy that Motorsport is so diverse and that there is something for everyone. And that there is many sims emerging to cater for us all.

Last edited:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back