rFactor 2 Moving to DX11 - New Company Partnership Announced

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
rfactor 2 logo.png

With the build up to this weekend’s Sim Racing Expo, Image Space Incorporated have announced a strategic partnership with the Dutch software group Luminis. The new alliance has been created to help increase development in rFactor 2, including a number of exceptionally exciting announcements in relation to the sim.

The partnership will be brought together into a new company: Studio 397. Studio 397 will have its headquarters in Apeldoorn, the Netherlands and will operate under the leadership of Marcel Offermans, a fellow sim racer and the man responsible for bringing both rFactor and rFactor 2 to the Steam platform.

Gjon Camaj, Vice President of Image Space Incorporated:

“We at ISI are very pleased to have found a partner that shares our enthusiasm and vision for the continued growth of rFactor 2. We look forward to working with Luminis to expand the reach of rFactor 2 both in Europe and beyond. After having worked with Luminis for some time and seeing their passion for motorsport simulation, this partnership was a natural next step. By leveraging each of our company’s individual strengths, we will be better able to serve our current customers and further expand our reach into the world of motorsports”.

Marcel Offermans, Luminis Fellow and Managing Director of Studio 397:

“I’m really excited by the opportunities that our partnership with ISI offers; rFactor 2 represents the best of breed, stable simulator platform in the industry. Online simracing has been my longtime personal passion, so the opportunity to combine my passion with my business feels like a great privilege. By infusing the platform with some of our own technology we see great opportunities to accelerate development in general and specifically in the areas of competitions and training”.

The new partnership have released an ambitious roadmap for rFactor 2’s further development including the stated plans to move over to a DX11 compatible graphics engine, including VR support for both Oculus Rift and HTC Vive. With the move to DX11, Studio 397 have committed to bringing performance improvements for high end video card users as well as maintaining compatibility with current content.

Other highlights from the announcement include a proposed new HTML based front end interface and Matchmaker support, in game UI updates and a promise to make more frequent car and track releases, working on racing cars and series as well as "popular and challenging" tracks. The new partnership also promises to work more closely with the community to support development of free and paid mod releases...

Oh, and the game has a new logo too....

All in all, this is fantastic news for rF2 and the sim racing community. I can hardly wait.

Check our rFactor 2 sub forum for news, discussions, mods, club and league races and everything in between!

What do you think of the announcement? Excited about DX11, VR support, new content? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited:
  • Deleted member 130869

Best of luck to Marcel, there are plenty of hopes on how you'll be steering that ship!

I just ask to please forego the need to be connected to a network at all times - as my understanding of moving to an iRacing-like browser launcher.

ps: please consider Vulkan

Edit: @Marcel Offermans, does this impact any pre-existing licenses like Toleman, Eagle, the couple of group c cars, and 1995 Reynard Honda so they can eventually be developed or will there be ramifications?

Last edited by a moderator:
Super excited ! rFactor1/2 was number one sim for me for a long time, and it has always been one of the best. Glad to hear that they keeps getting forward. Moving on to more modern graphics engine are huge news. Looking forward.

Move to dx11 is very welcome indeed. more content releases and sim development is something I didn't expect at all, so that's a great (and positive) surprise. Maybe I'm gonna get that Daytona prototype and Nissan gt500 after all.

Have to wonder about browser interface and matchmaking though. Seems entirely unnecessary and even counterproductive.

On a more positive side - glad it's dx11 and not dx12. I'm pretty sure free upgrades to win10 are over, hell, I'd probably need to be paid to move to that system anyway. not to mention the need for dx12 compatible graphics card. Dx11 seems like a happy compromise that should still increase FPS.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 93 7.7%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 129 10.6%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 173 14.3%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 341 28.1%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 473 39.0%