rFactor 2: Lola T70 Spyder Released

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
t70 1.jpg

CrossPly has released his outstanding version of the iconic Lola T70 Spyder historic sports car for rFactor 2, bringing the mod up to version 1.0.4 and adding a number of enhancements and improvements.

Perfect for use on the official historic release tracks like Spa, Monza and Longford or one of the many excellent mods already available in the RaceDepartment downloads section, this car is sure to be a hit amongst fans of more classic machinery.

Based initially on the Howson G6 ISI model, CrossPly has created a wealth of his own textures and physics as well as modifying existing ISI details across the sim. The result is a vehicle that you will instantly find addictive and engaging to drive and slide in true 60's style !

The new release adds 2 new models in the form of a mk3/mk3b car featuring the following differences in comparison to the mk1/mk2:
  • An optional new nose type, introduced by Lola sometime in 1967. In sim this is known as the mk3b nose but it’s also found on some mk3’s. The differing nose options provide no difference in performance.
  • Additional front and rear wing options that provide more downforce.
  • More powerful engines.
  • Improved brakes with in-car adjustable bias.
  • Wider tyres
  • Narrower track (mk3b only)
  • Lighter weight (mk3b only)
Despite being a highly polished mod already, CrossPly plans to continue refining and improving the car in the future with possible implementation on CPM tyres when available from ISI and possible additional engine and tyre options in future releases.

Changelog:
  • Added mk3 and mk3b models. These are based on the physics of the Howston G6 originals. The mk3 and mk3b cars are added as a separate car to the mk1 and mk2 and use different skin templates. AI drivers and liveries are mostly based on the real life 1967 and 1968 Can-Am and USRRC seasons with a couple of 1969 ones to help pad out the field.
  • Adjusted AI settings to reduce crashing at common tracks, hopefully this hasn’t made them too slow...
  • Improved glass material settings and enabled cube-map.
  • Made rollbar texture paintable and added car specific variants where appropriate. Paintable using 'EXTRA1' wildcard.
  • Added driver specific helmets, particularly for the more recognisable drivers. Paintable using 'HELMET' wildcard.
  • Added new driver dust mask and textures. Paintable using 'EXTRA6' wildcard?
  • Adjusted body material settings and textures for improved specularity and reflections inspired by the work of Tosch for the Apex GT3 mod, thanks to both of them.
  • Adjust body generated dirt and weathering to be a bit more subtle.
  • Various individual skin fixes and colouring tweaks.
  • Updated details and textures for the original G6 dash to be used by the Mk3b
  • Added additional dash for mk2 (and mk3)
  • Added additional dash for mk1
  • Added missing shift light.
  • Fixed flickering gauge glass material.
  • Rebuilt seat to fit cockpit bodywork.
  • Improved fibreglass texture and dirt/weathering.
  • Improved cockpit bodywork, now includes accurately modeled doors.
  • Added 'pontoon' ram air intakes as an option. These come with an improvement in power and torque but more weight and drag.
  • Improved tail light chrome texture and material.
  • Fix unwanted reflections from a few key areas.
  • Added unique intakes and exhaust textures for the different engine upgrades to make them visually identifiable.
  • Split Engine physics from the "Model" upgrade into its own upgrade.
  • Improved engine and gearbox textures and geometry. Textures now based on Brabham BT20
  • Improved headlight and tail light textures and implemented light flare shaders. Thanks to Some1 for creating them and making them available to the community.
  • Added rim-blurs
  • Improved driver physique (now includes seatbelt) and animation.
  • Fixed bonnet view cam clipping through nose bodywork.
  • Added additional Lods for minor components (Headlight reflectors, Rear Wing Parts).
  • Adjusted .rcd file to provide a greater spread of Speed and QualifySpeed values
  • Added Missing A.J. Foyt driver to AI .rcd file.
  • Fixed side mirrors to be independently adjustable
Download the Lola T70 Spyder here

t70 2.jpg t70 3.jpg t70 4.jpg t70 5.jpg t70 6.jpg t70 7.jpg

Have you tried the new update yet or perhaps sampling this car for the first time? Let us know what you think in the comments section below!

Incredible fun!! Great work and a wonderful addition to RF2. Send the wife out for a long walk with the dog, crank up the speakers, engage your 4 speed and clutch and have a go at Mid Ohio (or other favorite track). Puts a big smile on your face and some juice in your life. The racing is great with a dozen of these thundering beast chasing you down. Thanks to CrossPly, you made my day:D

To be honest, I've never been a fan of the older cars :redface: But this animal blew me away! I think I've been converted :notworthy: I even started to use the clutch :confused:
Would love to see an endurance event on one of the old tracks too :thumbsup:

They did handle like boats back then that's when the term was coined. Never drove a lola but have driven a gt40 and it's a pretty good representation for a video game/simulator:thumbsup:

I'm sure the driving experience is pretty subjective, but for me the fact that it has lots of power and little down force is what makes it so engaging to drive. You do have to be careful entering and exiting corners but because it rotates so easily you can really have fun around a series of corners or an S bend. I guess the fact that it is really easy to drive with the throttle and brake makes it a fun challenge which I enjoy. In the sense that it isn't stuck to the road with loads of down force, it does drive somewhat like a boat but that is just a different kind of fun!
Actually I enjoy just sitting in the pit and listening to the rumble of the engine:)

Any suggestion how to set up this car ??? i feel like i'm driving on ice !!!!
But reading previous post maybe.... that's right ?!?!?!!?? A new way to drive ???
(please don't tell me : keep default !!!! :) )

Last edited:
But reading previous post maybe.... that's right ?!?!?!!?? A new way to drive ???
  1. This is the setup for the MK3 I'm using at the VLM_MidOhio mod track. Doing mid 1:31's which is about the same as the AI. Speeds into the tightest turns are about 75-85kph and the less tight turns about 110-120 kph. I keep it in 1st gear a lot through the tight back section which allows me to steer just by lifting on the throttle. I'm sure there are plenty of guys here who can do much better but this might give you a place to start. I am using a 4speed and the clutch which might make a difference also. Haven't tried it with paddles or a sequential shifter.

Attachments

• kg-midohio.svm
    4.2 KB · Views: 348
Last edited:

The Mk1 was definitely a boat. Springs were soft, tires have VERY limited traction. Wheelspin in any gear is why Jim Hall used an automatic transmission in the Chaparal II. Jump to 3:50 in
and listen to Bruce McLaren talk about wheelspin in 1966.

Let me know what you think of the attached a setup for a Mk1 designed for the soft springs they would have used back then. Brake about 30% further back than you would with a modern GT car, SQUEEZE the throttle. Short shift out of 1st & 2nd gear. If you shift a lot, then you're shifting too often.

Attachments

• Lola_T70_Mk1.svm
    4.2 KB · Views: 300
@Tomas Torasen I assume you base your claims on having actually driven these cars back in the 60s right?

I have extensive experience in real life racing, not particularly these cars which really isnt needed. Anyone with any racing experience will understand that. But I can tell you that rFactor has some serious physics problems if you really want to talk about a representation of reality. Mainly kids arguing about that that dont even have a drivers license anyway, so I dont pay any attention to such claims.

An example of how off it is realism wise there is an easy way that many more can experience, which is the karts in the game. Many people have driven karts and it's not expensive or hard to aquire an experience with it.

Anyway. This car is by far the most unrealistic representation physics wise so far that I tried in rFactor.
If you want to enjoy the particular challenge if this fictional way of handling go ahead and have fun.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 291 15.2%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 203 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 197 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 144 7.5%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 257 13.4%