rFactor 2 launches on Steam with a hefty discount

maxresdefault.jpg
ISI have finally published their flagship simulator, rFactor 2, on Valve's immensely popular gaming platform.

RF2 is sold at a 29,99€ price tag for those in Europe, but you can snag it at a 40% discount at launch. That makes it 17,99€, which is essentially highway robbery for one of the most advanced simulators ever, but this edition doesn't seem to include online functionality.

The pricing structure is somewhat confusing, as you will have to spend 10,99€ for a year of online subscription, whereas the non-steam version, while being more expensive, already includes that. Still, if you're into offline racing, this is one of the most complete packages around, with night racing, dynamic weather and the RealRoad feature. It's also received a constant stream of build updates and new content.

You can find rFactor 2 at the following Steam page. If you are having trouble working out the steam workshop, the rF2 Steam Workshop Explained thread may be of great help.

Do you already have RF2? Or is the launch discount tempting you to buy it? Let us know in the comments!

Last edited by a moderator:
The question is! For someone who has done some online league racing but at the moment there is not enough time in the day and finds open online events a waste of time due to the crash fests! If one buy the "Lifetime" - that is 2 years subscription. Who know in two years will there be RF3?
So I put the question to you guys who have RF2 is it worth it for the offline price for someone who is really happy with Assetto Corsa and Dirt Rally, I also have Project CARS but still have not put much time in it, just can not seem to get excited by it .

The question is! For someone who has done some online league racing but at the moment there is not enough time in the day and finds open online events a waste of time due to the crash fests! If one buy the "Lifetime" - that is 2 years subscription. Who know in two years will there be RF3?
So I put the question to you guys who have RF2 is it worth it for the offline price for someone who is really happy with Assetto Corsa and Dirt Rally, I also have Project CARS but still have not put much time in it, just can not seem to get excited by it .

rFactor2 is definitely far from finished neither polyshed. Have been more than 2 hours trying to set it up graphics wise to run every track-car combo and still dont get it right. And I run AC all maxed 60 fos every situation 15-20 cars so system is not that bad.

So dont worry, it still has a long way to go for rFactor3 to be out and playable

@eSEA One ,

Lifetime is lifetime. Not 2 years...
But it seems you have your main games. :thumbsup:You can always try the demo and make a desicion...
Sorry I might not have explained very well. What I had meant was if you bought the "offline" version and then the 2 years worth of online subscription then that would equal the offer of the "lifetime" offer. So would it be worthwhile to someone who's time is currently restricted and might not even need a subscription for online in for some time to come. I still want to build a motion rig when I do have time!

I don't think they'll make a rF3 for some years. But rF2 sure needs some major updates and a "2.0 version" asap IMO

Ok maybe someone can "edumacate" me on the difference between SCE and rFactor2. I've been running GSCE for quite awhile and now SCE, I tried the rFactor2 steam demo yesterday and I really didn't see or feel too much of a difference in the two. I know if you get into the mods heavily with rFactor2 then there are differences, but I'm not sure if it's worth the effort.

I'm not trying to start a fanboy battle between the two, I'm just curious if it's worth buying and messing with. I own most of the sims, but this is one that I never bought, mostly because it seems to require a lot more tweaking and mod support for it to shine.

Cheers

Ok maybe someone can "edumacate" me on the difference between SCE and rFactor2. I've been running GSCE for quite awhile and now SCE, I tried the rFactor2 steam demo yesterday and I really didn't see or feel too much of a difference in the two. I know if you get into the mods heavily with rFactor2 then there are differences, but I'm not sure if it's worth the effort.

I'm not trying to start a fanboy battle between the two, I'm just curious if it's worth buying and messing with. I own most of the sims, but this is one that I never bought, mostly because it seems to require a lot more tweaking and mod support for it to shine.

Cheers
Well, let's just say if you put together "amount of simulated stuff" + "quality of simulation" from all sims together rF2 is probably ahead of anyone else in the market right now.
You'll find stuff like real road there that you won't see in SCE. Basically a more advanced simulation.
Yeah it needs tweaks and a ton of mods. Stock content will be usefull for a while, but later you may get bored.
For me URD prototype+GT is all I need tho. Just not going to pay that price with this euro value in Brazil ;)

Well, for me it would be a no brainer, buy it! :thumbsup: £14.39 for the offline version is a steal, then if you want to go online racing get the online pass

But seriously, if you like endurance racing, with feature complete racing, flags, tyre wear, flat spotting, track rubbering in, probably the best AI, rain, light to night racing, dry line appearing on a wet track, excellent mods/tracks & more..... :thumbsup:
And if you like turning left, great Nascar racing too....

I also love SCE :)

Hello Guys,
I was wondering if you kind modders are planning to copy your work also to the Steam workshop and when.
It's a convenient feature that allow players to subscribe a mod that gets updated and installed automatically by the system, directly for the player.

Except for some exceptions , like for example the black ui and a couple of cars and circuits, there's stll no content in there, except for the ISI made stuff.

Are you planning to move there ?
I think that for Rfactor the Steam workshop is a huge leap forward if it will be properly supported.

Thanks

Well, I did buy rf2 back in the day, but I let the license expire. I am undecided if I shoul go for it again or not, could anybody help me with two questions (which were my biggest beefs with RF2 and why I gave up on it).

- Has the low speed grip changed at all since the early betas? I would like answers from people that regularly drives other sims (GSCE for example). If you only drive RF2 you are probably so used to it that you don't notice, but at least last year this aspect was IMHO dreadful.

- Did they bother to do anything about the G27 'finger slicer off-road'? And I don't count as a solution dulling (filtering) the feedback everywhere so when you step out of track you don't have issues, which was the once a upon a time proposed solution.

Well, I did buy rf2 back in the day, but I let the license expire. I am undecided if I shoul go for it again or not, could anybody help me with two questions (which were my biggest beefs with RF2 and why I gave up on it).

- Has the low speed grip changed at all since the early betas? I would like answers from people that regularly drives other sims (GSCE for example). If you only drive RF2 you are probably so used to it that you don't notice, but at least last year this aspect was IMHO dreadful.

- Did they bother to do anything about the G27 'finger slicer off-road'? And I don't count as a solution dulling (filtering) the feedback everywhere so when you step out of track you don't have issues, which was the once a upon a time proposed solution.

- Easiest one would be to look for yourself. Even when your online access expired you can do everything you want with it offline.

- Except for maybe the very first versions of the GT cars and some open-wheelers in 2012, I never thought that there was not enough grip at low-speed, maybe not enough force-feedback in these kind of situations, but even that can be rectified by adding some ffb-minforce to the G27.

The most difference here comes from building up rubber. The more the track has, the more grip is available and your ffb tells you that too. Also there is always a lot of room for modifying the setups for much more mechanical grip.
Potentially you can get many cars (including ISI cars) to be much faster than the RL cars could ever go, so I'm not sure how much more grip you can want.

The last other sim I was playing was the previous version of GSC and in comparable situations (high rubbered track) I cannot recall any actual grip differences in low speed except for a bit stiffer steering forces.

- This problem shoudn't be there if you don't run a too high ffb multi and also some filtering, which is not really a negative to have but more like a normalizer for your G27 ffb. Filtering at 8 usually works nice for my G27.

Last edited:

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 371 16.0%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 255 11.0%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 247 10.7%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 181 7.8%
  • < 5 years