Paul Jeffrey

Premium
rF2 Formula E DLC 1.jpg

Studio 397 have released a new preview video of the upcoming Formula E content for rFactor 2, and we sit with head man Marcel Offermans to discuss what Formula E means to the simulation...

Love it or loathe it, Formula E is very quickly forcing itself into the racing limelight following a seemingly endless number of manufacturers flocking to the all electric single seater racing series in recent months. Brainchild of Spanish businessman Alejandro Agag, the FIA supported Formula E series has made a steady start in life as it looks to break into the wider motorsport consciousness of fans brought up on the sounds and smells of the combustion engine.

Running electric power and featuring some high profile drivers, the series has really stepped up a gear towards the end of the previous season and the build up to the opening round of 2017/18, confirming top level manufacturers such as Porsche, Mercedes, BMW and Audi all in recent months, some very experience World Endurance Championship calibre drivers and an already established line up of works teams and well sorted privateer entries..

As a marker of the level of popularity the series now seems to have achieved, Studio 397 have taken their relationship with the controversial championship to the next level with confirmation that a new DLC is on the way to rFactor 2, bringing all the cars, teams and drivers of the category to the incredible rFactor 2 simulator. Below you can check out the preview video and catch up on our brief interview with the head of Studio 397, Marcel Offermans;

RD: So Marcel, Formula E? What attracted you to the series and made you think the cars and tracks would be a good match for rFactor 2?

MO
: There are a lot of things that attracted us to Formula E to be honest. For one it is definitely a rising star, attracting more top drivers, teams and manufacturers in record time than any other series. It does a lot of things right in terms of engagement and leveraging its unique capabilities. It also early on recognized the value of esports and the synergy that comes from close collaboration, which is why we're so proud to be able to work with them to bring their series to the leading platform in terms of simulation: rFactor 2!

RD: You have the first official licence to fully recreate the series as a whole, how close is the technical partnership between S397 and Formula E, what sort of involvement have they allowed the studio to enjoy?

MO
: We have had the opportunity to work with Formula E very closely over the last couple of months, and continue to do so. This means for example that we get highly accurate CAD designs of their tracks including all the barriers they install and several other aspects like ambient sounds. For the cars we have worked with both Formula E, teams and manufacturers to get the correct physics, 3D and sound data.

RD: So will you be replicating the full grid in this new pack, and which season will it cover?

MO
: The pack will come with the cars, teams and drivers of the upcoming 2018 season that starts at Hong Kong in the weekend of the 2nd and 3rd of December.

rF2 Formula E DLC 3.jpg

RD: And how about tracks? I see the pack will come with Hong Kong, will we be seeing more from the Formula E schedule over time?

MO: Yes, we anticipate to bring more tracks over time. We don't have a specific timeline yet.

RD: rF2 is a very advanced simulation, how have you found the challenges of modelling a rather unique form of racing compared to the usual combustion engine cars seen traditionally in the sim?

MO
: Obviously a Formula E race is different from your typical race with cars that use combustion engines. During a race you are allowed to use two cars and each race is very tactical because you need to manage the available power so you can make it to the end. We have obviously simulated the electric engine and these aspects and like in the real races you will typically use the maximum available power and downforce during qualification and for the race switch to a setup with minimum downforce and slightly less power. During the race you can constantly adjust your "regeneration" settings, giving you the option to either regenerate more energy when braking and as a consequence brake a little less efficient or regenerate less and have a shorter braking distance. When battling other cars on the track, that can become very tricky and also a lot of fun, as we've already found in private testing.

RD: Obvious question but one probably most popular.. when and how much?!?!

MO
: The how much question we will reveal when we release the pack. The "when" is easier: this will be out before the season opener, so next week!

So there you have it folks, Formula E is coming to rFactor 2 next week! Stay tuned for more as and when it becomes available..

rF2 Formula E DLC 2.jpg

rFactor 2 is a PC exclusive racing simulation available worldwide via the Steam network.

Check out the rFactor 2 sub forum here at RaceDepartment for all the latest news and discussion with regards to the simulation. You can take part in lively debates with fellow rFactor 2 fans and take part in some great Club and League racing events..! Head over to the forum now and share the love this simulation so very much deserves...

Excited to see Formula E cars coming to rFactor 2? Do you think the series will transfer well to simulation racing? Looking forward to seeing more quality Studio 397 DLC content? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited:
Ah, another WIP.
Not buying anymore promises, but thanks for the effort S123.
Agree.

Official content? In my point of view... it means cars + tracks...from the official season, right?
No?
Sorry for my "old school" approach to the matter

Nowadays it´s accepted that the games keep releasing content piece by piece, even in alfa, beta, or whatever stage.

And people say "what a great time for racing simulation". Pfff Really?

And this is what happens here.

Zandvoort was released as a WIP... (seriouslly?? a half finished track??)

Finish that work first!!!

At that pace, all the "official tracks" from FE will be finished when mankind will be living on Titan.

Or maybe the developers are waiting for the modding community to try finishing the job...

Not entirely. The concept was driven by manufacturers (rather than environmentalists) as they wanted a new series that could promote electric vehicles, and so on. That's what their marketing departments want now to promote their brand. Sad but true.
To be fair, they did it because if there was no electic racing series by now some SJW would be complaining on twitter making things look way bigger than they really are so their marketing department would be stressed over nothing :roflmao::roflmao:

RD: Obvious question but one probably most popular.. when and how much?!?!

MO
: The how much question we will reveal when we release the pack. The "when" is easier: this will be out before the season opener, so next week!

Even 1 week before release it's still a secret about the costs. I assume that at least the probably included bugs come for free? What a relief.

Nowadays it´s accepted that the games keep releasing content piece by piece, even in alfa, beta, or whatever stage.
Finish that work first!!!

You hit the nail right on the head.

Last edited:
Formula E is the only motorsport you can see for free in Finland and still no-one watching it, no-one speaking about it. Do the math.

Definitely not for me and cannot imagine myself buying the DLC. The whole series is just way too fake. That said I hope they'll find enough interest to justify their decision.

Sim racers who blame Formula E are the equivalent of NFS kids who are like “**** GAME IT HAS NO R34 GT-R AND LAMBORGHINI“. Seriously, have you ever watched a single race? The cars may have no sound but the racing is excellent. And racing is what should be the focus, right? People love the MX-5 Cup although it hasn't much sound or power either, so what's your problem?

Agree.

Official content? In my point of view... it means cars + tracks...from the official season, right?

If you expect them to release all Formula E tracks in one package, keep on dreaming. These days it can take up to half a year to finish a single track (I remember Kunos worked on Nords a lot longer than that). There is no sim out there that can release 10 new tracks in a year, even the big sims mostly recycle their tracks from previous releases. Codemasters F1 games update around one track per season to new standards.

Are you a "flat earther" by any chance?
Nope, absolutly no flat earther: but I'm pragmatic and realistic enough to know that compared to the world fuel consumption, the amount of fuel used by car and 'bike racing is a fraction of a percent point. Banning it completly overnight would make damn-all difference.
Getting the USA to start taking these things seriously, forcing cruise ships to use marine diesel and catalysers instead of heavy oil and no filter and many other things would have a tangible effect, but where money talks and these industries work with a very effective lobby system, nothing much is going to happen soon. But I think this is getting a bit OT, we shouuld get back on course with the thread :thumbsup:

If you expect them to release all Formula E tracks in one package, keep on dreaming. These days it can take up to half a year to finish a single track (I remember Kunos worked on Nords a lot longer than that). There is no sim out there that can release 10 new tracks in a year, even the big sims mostly recycle their tracks from previous releases. Codemasters F1 games update around one track per season to new standards.

Are you trying to compare laser scanned Nordschleife with Hong Kong? Really?

About Codemasters, at least you know ALL the tracks are there, for the whole season.

After all then, we are talking about just one car, single class... and the "promise" that sometime, eventually, maybe, another track will come to life.

Do I need to praise that? No.

By the way, the game is not free...by the "new standards" we have paid almost $100...what for?

No wonder the game is alive just because some mods out there...

Are you trying to compare laser scanned Nordschleife with Hong Kong? Really?
Laser scanning helps to produce faster. Not necessarily more accurate, because the physical mesh is reduced a lot from a point cloud, but having a good reference helps a lot ofcourse.
That reference doesn’t need to be laser scanned.
CAD drawings are as accurate.

What @John-Eric Saxén meant was that the AC Nords took longer as expected.

Zandvoort progress is on hold, so i guess the rF2’s track team is 1 guy at the moment.

Its sad Renault has pulled out, however due to them being parent companies with Nissan (i think). It will be a Nissan branded race team.

Given that all green stuff in this world actually feeds on the dreaded CO2 and that "scientists discovered" that the planet is actually GREENING with it's "alarming rise", which in turn reduces it, for me it's not that sad that one firms that's part of the world's biggest auto manufacturing group actually came to its senses.

https://www.nasa.gov/feature/goddard/2016/carbon-dioxide-fertilization-greening-earth

https://www.theguardian.com/environ...wed-rise-of-co2-in-the-atmosphere-study-finds

Excited to see Formula E cars coming to rFactor 2?

I'm excited for a new series and track but not overly excited by the formula, something I may grow to like perhaps.

Do you think the series will transfer well to simulation racing?

Possibly, time will tell if its successful or not but if it continues to grow in the real world then it'd help the simulator world no doubt.

Looking forward to seeing more quality Studio 397 DLC content?

70/30 in favour of a Yes, new content is always great regardless of whether it's something I'm interested in or not. The 30% will relate to whatever the DLC will cost, I'll happily support S397 with the purchase but if it's a bit pricey then I may have to reconsider (I have a Steam Wish List Sale staring at my bank account currently!).
Also in this 30% is the lack of Polish that has befallen previous S397 releases which is a bit frustrating, I'm hoping this Car Pack & Track actually come more completed than previous releases, DLC & Free Content seems to be a "rush" effort to release then worry about finishing it months later which irks me somewhat.

Sim racers who blame Formula E are the equivalent of NFS kids who are like “**** GAME IT HAS NO R34 GT-R AND LAMBORGHINI“. Seriously, have you ever watched a single race? The cars may have no sound but the racing is excellent. And racing is what should be the focus, right? People love the MX-5 Cup although it hasn't much sound or power either, so what's your problem?
I watched races on TV and the Paris races in the tribunes and along the track. To be honest racing is not "excellent". Narrow track, procession of silent cars, passing attempts turning into crashes, laps under SC or races stopped, and so on. Any MX5 cup race on a real track is more enjoyable than that (even with much less talented drivers). The best part of the show was watching the guys busy in the pits and the hybrid BMW SC hotlapping around the circuit. Sooner or later they will be able to get batteries powerful enough to hit real tracks and then it will be another story.

Given that all green stuff in this world actually feeds on the dreaded CO2 and that "scientists discovered" that the planet is actually GREENING with it's "alarming rise", which in turn reduces it, for me it's not that sad that one firms that's part of the world's biggest auto manufacturing group actually came to its senses.

https://www.nasa.gov/feature/goddard/2016/carbon-dioxide-fertilization-greening-earth

https://www.theguardian.com/environ...wed-rise-of-co2-in-the-atmosphere-study-finds

I know it's OT, but interesting subject. You did read the whole articles did you?
  • “Unfortunately, this increase is nowhere near enough to stop climate change,”
  • “Fundamentally though, this help is not enough to stop the planet warming – far from it – carbon emissions have to drop to almost zero to stop global warming.”
  • While rising carbon dioxide concentrations in the air can be beneficial for plants, it is also the chief culprit of climate change.
  • The beneficial impacts of carbon dioxide on plants may also be limited, said co-author Dr. Philippe Ciais, associate director of the Laboratory of Climate and Environmental Sciences, Gif-suv-Yvette, France. “Studies have shown that plants acclimatize, or adjust, to rising carbon dioxide concentration and the fertilization effect diminishes over time.”
And YES, I wish combustion engines would remain forever. And I also agree with GuitarTech that Motorsports is not the place to start when fighting global warming or the limited fossil fuel. But my take ist that Formula E isn't exactly a consequence of making motorsports "green", it's a possibility for companies to market (and develop?) their future technology for daily motoring.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 366 15.9%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 255 11.1%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 245 10.6%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 181 7.9%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 303 13.2%