rFactor 2 February Development Roadmap

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
rF2 February Development Roadmap.jpg

Studio 397 release latest roadmap update, share images from the DX11 update and progress on VR and NOLA Motorsports Park.

In the second development roadmap update of 2017 from Studio 397 the team behind the continual development of rFactor have outlined their recent work on the sim, as well as confirming both VR and DX11 are still on schedule for a Q1 release.

Although no actual release date for VR and DX11 outside of the loosely mentioned Q1 2017 has been shared by the developers, it has been confirmed the latest track to join rFactor 2, NOLA Motorsports Park, will make it's official debut on February 28th. As usual with stock Studio 397 content, the new track will download automatically when you next fire up the game in Steam.

You can read the full February 2017 Roadmap Update below:

We have a lot of exciting news in this month’s update as we edge closer to our release at the end of Q1. The team is working very hard in all areas and we’re thrilled to share some of the recent developments with you.

VR Update
With DX11 implementation complete, we are now in our first development stage for VR. Our initial focus is the in-car driver experience with both the Oculus Rift and the HTC Vive. The second development stage will delve deeper into the environmental capabilities of the VR experience, which we will share over the next couple of months.

DX11 Content Peek
Last month we shared with you our first comparison shots for DX11. In the last couple of weeks we’ve focused on ensuring compatibility with existing content as well as further improvements to the way we render our HDR output. We’ll let the new screenshots speak for themselves.

rF2 DX9 DX11 Comparison Picture.jpg

rF2 DX11 2.jpg
rF2 DX11 4.jpg
rF2 DX11.jpg

rF2 DX11 3.jpg

Competition Update

Development of the competition infrastructure is going well and is on track to be released this summer. Drivers and teams will be able to record their stats, achievements and results, which then can be accessed through any device and shared with friends. Competitions will feature selected existing content and new content. Details will be announced in the coming months. Our main focus is to create feature rich mechanics that provide a challenge for new drivers and seasoned sim racing veterans alike.

UI Update
We are super excited about our new user interface, which is currently under development. The new UI not only provides a more intuitive and user-friendly experience, it also offers improved flexibility and the ability to add new elements and modules.

rF2 UI Update.png

NOLA Motorsports Park
Whether you choose to race a kart, open wheeler, or tintop, the large variety of configurations makes NOLA a very versatile and challenging track to master. NOLA Motorsports Park will be released on February 28th!

Radio Communication
Most racing series use radio communication to let drivers talk to their team and pit crew. Some series also have race control broadcasting instructions. For example, oval racing series such as Stock Car typically also have spotters that keep an eye on what’s happening to keep you out of trouble.

We are working on expanding our current system, which is centered on the spotter’s role, into a system that allows different people to talk to you on the radio. In addition, we intend to make the communication more interactive by giving you the ability to ask for information or instructions.

Modding
We’re excited to invite modding teams to join our private forum. We are looking to work with those of you in the modding community to explain the necessary steps that ensure your content continues to work flawlessly with the new DX11 engine. Modders joining our forum will also get access to pre-release builds of the DX11 graphics engine (still in alpha). Our goal is to ensure that your content is ready to go when we do the first public release of the new engine.

If your modding team is interested, please register on our forum and start a conversation with Christopher and Marcel, stating:

1. Your modding team name and all the names and forum names of members that need access.
  2. A list of mods you have released for rFactor 2 (either links to the workshop, or some other reference).
  3. Any other interesting information about your team such as mods you are still working on.
That wraps up this roadmap update. We are looking forward to the coming month of development so we can continue to share with you our progress on the new innovative elements planned over the next few months!

rFactor 2 is a racing simulation exclusive to Windows PC.

Additional third party content can be downloaded from a variety of sources, one of which is the RaceDepartment rFactor 2 modding archive. Head over and check out the latest releases for the sim, or alternatively join in the discussion and keep up to date with the latest news at our rFactor 2 sub forum right here at RD. If downloading mods or keeping up to date with the latest news items aren't your thing, you can always sign up to one of our epic Club and League events using the software. We hold regular club racing events in our schedule, however the jewel in our crown in no doubt the RaceDepartment Le Mans Series. This is our premium endurance league using rFactor 2. Head over to the RDLMS forum to find out more!

Did you enjoy the latest roadmap post from Studio 397? Looking forward to DX11 and VR? Do you think NOLA will make a good addition to the sim? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited:
What I meant is that the new graphics is hardly much different to the old one. I really doubt that the change will help to lure in any significant part of the "eye-candy crowd". Spoiled by the screenshots of pC2, they'll only laugh at these attempts. As for us, whatever rF2 will look like, it'll still be rF2, i. e., worth using regardless the graphics, VR support, you name it.

"Good looking AC"? :) I'd take even RBR any time of day over AC, to be honest. Haven't got a clue why people praise AC's graphics so much. Yes, it has some neat effects like scratches on the windshield visible at certain angles to the sun, but in general it looks so unwelcoming and outright dull. Just like their sounds. KS' artistic department doesn't seem to have talent, even though they have all the technology. Not that rF2 fares any better at the moment...

Each to their own, I like the look of AC, as for saying they don't have any talent well that's laughable really!

Physics, Physics, Physics, Physics, Physics I'm a parrot, I'm a parrot, the facts are you cant sell physics to people that dont care about racing games, out of over 400 friends on steam, 84 own assetto corsa, 80 own projectCARS, 67 own Dirt rally, 24 own rfactor2 and 17 own AMS, out of those friends there are only 20 plus hardcore simracers that would have purchased those games, without any input from me, the rest purchased those games because I promoted them in my steam activities, right now I see nothing that S397 they have previewed that will get me to promote rfactor2 to my steam friends.
They have made multiplayer free, and rfactor2 multiplayer is still dead, on joining a multiplayer server you are forced to download stolen ripped content from Kunos, Slightly mad Studio, and even Reiza, no one is hosting servers with default ISI rfactor 2 content, rfactor 2 and AMS, are the least played racing sims on steam period, despite the cries from their fan boys that it has the best physics (oh really), when I checked the steam charts of how many users are playing a game a day ago, BeamNG.drive, had more players playing it than rfactor 2 and AMS put together, so S397 really do need to create more default content for rfactor2, and not sit on their arse and rely on content from competing developers to populate their own title
I completely agree with you on one thing. rFactor 2 needs more quality content. That should be the top priority, not painting the UI in different funny colours.

As for the rF2 not being popular enough, well... It's a niche sim. The following might be scarce, but is still very loyal. Who can appreciate rF2 for what it has, were already doing this for a long time. Nobody else will be swayed by the newer graphics or whatnot. Maybe only those with VR helmets after the support is there. Is that a bad thing? Hardly :) If devs were always about the revenue, we would simply never witness the simulation genre being born at all. And I can only applaud those of them who knowing all of the implications still dive headfirst into the process of creating a sim.

Still, ISI could give a little more darn about their brainchild back in the day, to be honest... However, what is done, is done.

If devs were always about the revenue, we would simply never witness the simulation genre being born at all.

Where was the simulation genre born? I'd suggest maybe Crammonds Grand Prix? This and its successors were huge commercial successes. Or maybe Papyrus' Indy 500 which sold 200,000 copies or its successor Indycar racing which sold 300,000 copies. The importance of content which appeals to the widest audience is underlined by the amazing success of NASCAR Racing which sold over 1,000,000 copies.

Where was the simulation genre born? I'd suggest maybe Crammonds Grand Prix? This and its successors were huge commercial successes. Or maybe Papyrus' Indy 500 which sold 200,000 copies or its successor Indycar racing which sold 300,000 copies. The importance of content which appeals to the widest audience is underlined by the amazing success of NASCAR Racing which sold over 1,000,000 copies.
A good question, really. I got hooked on the concept when the graphics wasn't even 8 bit first. However, it wasn't until rFactor 2, DCS World and X-Plane when I finally started feeling simulators are "getting there".

I completely agree with you on one thing. rFactor 2 needs more quality content. That should be the top priority, not painting the UI in different funny colours.

As for the rF2 not being popular enough, well... It's a niche sim.

It's a "Niche" sim?, your little fancy wording isn't going to change, first their cavemen fan boys said rfactor2 isn't a game, it's a tool, then they changed it to something else, and now you come with it's "niche", you're not going to pull the wool over my eyes and many with your hocus pocus wording, rfactor 2 is a computer game, no matter how much you want to paint it, and it isn't a popular computer game, hence your "it's a niche sim", tell it like it is, and stop dancing around how unpopular it is, and looking at the some what mediocre improvements S397 have done, with no insight of giving the game content that anyone would want to play, rfactor 2 is going to stay niche oops I mean unpopular.

It's a "Niche" sim?, your little fancy wording isn't going to change, first their cavemen fan boys said rfactor2 isn't a game, it's a tool, then they changed it to something else, and now you come with it's "niche", you're not going to pull the wool over my eyes and many with your hocus pocus wording, rfactor 2 is a computer game, no matter how much you want to paint it, and it isn't a popular computer game, hence your "it's a niche sim", tell it like it is, and stop dancing around how unpopular it is, and looking at the some what mediocre improvements S397 have done, with no insight of giving the game content that anyone would want to play, rfactor 2 is going to stay niche oops I mean unpopular.
Yes, it is a tool and it is niche, no hocus pocus involved :) Yes, apart from the Nissan I cannot see a single improvement so far, quite the opposite even. But it's the same old rFactor 2 after all was said and done, and that's what I like about it. Popular or not, that's not my problem at all. If I will be the last person on Earth to enjoy it, I'm fine with it :) rF2 does for me that not a single other "game" can even dream to approach. AMS is close, but still quite different.

Again, I don't like it because it's called "rFactor 2" or because it was made by ISI. I don't care about those things. But this sim seems to be the closest to what I expect from one. Add these factors to, say, Assetto Corsa, and I'll be able to cope with its graphics and sounds. Would be actually happy to, thanks to all the content. Yet KS decided to go an easier way. Well, people generally like money, can't blame them for that.

rF2 to me and to many other new users i talked to got hooked the second they got onto the track. I would like better graphics sure, but the joy from the awesome physics and FFB make up for a lot of the flashy stuff. During a race you dont think about the flash cause you have your hands full (and feet) driving the cars. With simpler physics who make easier driving you got time to think about the flash. But rF2's great physics/FFB, flag system, great AI, dynamic weather that make the tracks dark/sunny as you drive, sweet damage system and a bunch other great features make the title better for those who value simulation over looks, and so even if the gfx isnt up to 2017 standards you still feel its one of the best sims around.

It would be great if DX11 means better performance and as a result maybe textures can get touched up etc to make it look better. We will see when we get there. But those who are like me do not get hyped from cool flashy screenshots because physics is way more important to us. You always have hope, but when you have been around for a long time you just know not to get too hyped cause it will just spoil your day when you realize its yet again flash over substance.

Looking forward to the updates. :thumbsup:

I have no problem with feedback at all, we're not done yet and you make some valid points.

It is not a stupid question and one of the options that we considered and discussed with several experienced graphics developers. In the end we decided to upgrade the existing engine. I won't go into all the details that influenced that decision, but completely replacing the existing engine with a new one (such as the ones you mention) is a huge job. We also did not want to break backward compatibility with all the existing first and third party content out there.
Thanks for the answer. Well, then I hope you'll be able to make some big improvements.

As for the rF2 not being popular enough, well... It's a niche sim. The following might be scarce, but is still very loyal. Who can appreciate rF2 for what it has, were already doing this for a long time. Nobody else will be swayed by the newer graphics or whatnot. Maybe only those with VR helmets after the support is there. Is that a bad thing? Hardly :) If devs were always about the revenue, we would simply never witness the simulation genre being born at all. And I can only applaud those of them who knowing all of the implications still dive headfirst into the process of creating a sim.

Still, ISI could give a little more darn about their brainchild back in the day, to be honest... However, what is done, is done.
No offense to anyone, but rF2 is as much of niche game as Assetto Corsa. I'd bet everything I own that if the game didn't have outdated graphics and ISI wouldn't have implemented the stupid subscription model, it would be similary successful.
People here like to defend rF2 because of its physics and they might be great (although I don't think they're any better than AC's, except for maybe the FFB which I cannot compare) but let's face it: You all want rF2 to be successful, but that's impossible if it looks and performs like it's 10 years old. People don't buy GPUs for 4-5-600 and more bucks to play something like this. Graphics are a huge part of the immersion and therefore the fun factor and overall experience and people care about this stuff. Heck, I love my racing sims as realistic as possible, but this also includes the look.

No offense to anyone, but rF2 is as much of niche game as Assetto Corsa. I'd bet everything I own that if the game didn't have outdated graphics and ISI wouldn't have implemented the stupid subscription model, it would be similary successful.
People here like to defend rF2 because of its physics and they might be great (although I don't think they're any better than AC's, except for maybe the FFB which I cannot compare) but let's face it: You all want rF2 to be successful, but that's impossible if it looks and performs like it's 10 years old. People don't buy GPUs for 4-5-600 and more bucks to play something like this. Graphics are a huge part of the immersion and therefore the fun factor and overall experience and people care about this stuff. Heck, I love my racing sims as realistic as possible, but this also includes the look.
I would be hardly pressed to take that as an offense, really. I mostly agree with what you said, but let's put it this way... The AC's graphics is not nearly as good as rF2's physics and the FFB :) And I'm glad ISI made it their priority when they started working on rF2. As you can see, Studio 397 are now working on the graphics side of things, so we're kind of covered when it comes to both aspects :) I'm personally happy that rF2 doesn't look like AC. That would simply ruin it for me. Not sure how come there are so many people out there with the muddy-green deficiency.

As you can see, Studio 397 are now working on the graphics side of things, so we're kind of covered when it comes to both aspects
Not seeing this so far.
I'm personally happy that rF2 doesn't look like AC. That would simply ruin it for me. Not sure how come there are so many people out there with the muddy-green deficiency.
Wut? This is how the game looks like on my system with some graphics modding:
acs20161008162152549ks2pn4.jpg

acs20161008163749938kfpsmo.jpg

rF2 will never come close to this and yes, the post processing is a part of that.

Not seeing this so far.
Neither do I, hence the sarcasm :)

Wut? This is how the game looks like on my system with some graphics modding:
acs20161008162152549ks2pn4.jpg

acs20161008163749938kfpsmo.jpg

rF2 will never come close to this and yes, the post processing is a part of that.
The cars look ok, everything else is still the muddy mess it used to be. I'm fine without that, thank you very much. Not to mention I don't really have time to fiddle with the graphics, and the default AC looks are simply suicide-inducing.

Don't get what you mean with "muddy mess" except maybe for the motion blur.
Regarding the "fiddling" it's just as much work as installing a car or track.
It takes 5 seconds to make the game look like that.
It's not the motion blur, I don't use it anyway. It's how everything seems to be brownish-grayish-green, like a Google Maps image.
As for installing those things, I tried a couple at some point. Didn't find neither to be of much help.

If I liked the AC's physics and the force-feedback, however, I'd try to overlook the graphics and the sounds issue (just like I did with rF2, RBR, AMS, etc), but for me it simply is not worth the trouble.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 74 7.1%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 109 10.5%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 150 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 286 27.6%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 414 39.9%