rFactor 2 Development Roadmap - Update on DX11 Inside...

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
rF2 Radical.png

Studio 397 have today released their latest Development Roadmap update for rFactor 2, giving fans an insight into the upcoming DX11 build and new VR implementation amongst other things.

Although for the most part the news of development progress from Studio 397 is very positive, it is a shame to hear that the proposed update to DX11 and VR support has been delayed until May 1st from the initial "end of Q1" reported during the initial development outline. To be fair with such a complex and involving process as this it is not surprising to see a delay, however I'm sure Studio 397 will be making the most of the extra time to ensure a positive experience once the update has been released.

Studio 397 have confirmed DX11 and VR support for both Vive and Oculus Rift are working in beta builds, as is a brand new user interface that will be included in the next build update. The UI will receive further enhancements and developments over time as S397 slowly add additional features and functionality over time. In other highlights from the March development update post it looks like rFactor 2 will be getting some new car and track announcements in the near future, however the studio are saving final details on those projects for another time.

Check out the full blog post update below:

DX11 Pipeline and Post FX
Over the course of the last month we have spent a lot of time to further optimise the HDR rendering pipeline. We also started adding post processing effects. This is a bit of a balancing act between ensuring we stay compatible with existing content and adding various improvements to the graphical output. Work on shaders, the shadow system, and on various other effects is also under way.

Working on the DX11 integration has allowed us to fix some things that were previously unaddressed or needed improvement. For example, we fixed an issue with stray coloured pixels in the distance, caused by MSAA artifacts. We also improved the way shadows are cast on the ground. Shadows now follow the normal maps of the materials, which means for example that the shadow on asphalt follows all the little bumps in the road. Our clouds are using much higher resolution textures, and we fine tuned ambient lighting in overcast conditions by adjusting both the color and intensity of the light.

Last month we already showed you improvements, some of which were very subtle. This month, we have a few new screenshots that will show we’re on the right track!

Night lights show a much more realistic, dynamic glow.
rF2 DX11 1.jpg

Our classic content looks great as the first rays of sunlight touch the banking.
rF2 DX11 2.jpg

The Camaro GT3 on a bright blue day at Mores.
rF2 DX11 3.jpg

Early morning going up the hill at Bathurst.
rF2 DX11 4.jpg

Virtual Reality is operational
Great news! We are already driving in VR – seeing a virtual sun rise through the trees is an incredible experience!

Our VR implementation is based on OpenVR. We chose OpenVR for its support of both headsets – the HTC Vive and the Oculus Rift – ensuring future compatibility. To complete the experience, we are integrating VR with the new UI and adjusting several other parts of the game, such as external cameras.

User Interface
The UI is really taking shape. The initial release will be functionally equivalent to the current user interface, but with some advanced features. Each month, features and functionality of the user interface will be improved. For example, the ability to create your own championships and easier ways to create your own hosted environments.

UI.png

Radical Content
We can’t wait to announce some very, very cool content news soon, for both cars and tracks. As you know, our ambition is to streamline content, aligning cars and tracks. In the meantime, the Radical SR3 is coming along nicely. We have extensive technical data from Radical and are creating the most realistic version that has ever been produced.

rF2 Radical.png

Modding
We are very happy that many modding teams have already applied to join our special forum. We have already started to share information there about upgrading custom shaders. Over the next couple of weeks we will proceed with guidelines on materials and textures as well as provide early beta builds for you to check your work. These guides will be part of a new documentation that we will publish and maintain going forward. So, if you are working on new or existing mods for rFactor 2 and have not done so yet, contact Christopher and Marcel to join the dedicated DX11 forum.

That wraps up another monthly roadmap update. We hope you are as excited as we are about what the future will bring!

rFactor 2 is available right now for Windows PC exclusively on the Steam platform.

Additional third party content can be downloaded from a variety of sources, one of which is the RaceDepartment rFactor 2 modding archive. Head over and check out the latest releases for the sim, or alternatively join in the discussion and keep up to date with the latest news at our rFactor 2 sub forum right here at RD. If downloading mods or keeping up to date with the latest news items aren't your thing, you can always sign up to one of our epic Club and League events using the software. We hold regular club racing events in our schedule, however the jewel in our crown in no doubt the RaceDepartment Le Mans Series. This is our premium endurance league using rFactor 2. Head over to the RDLMS forum to find out more!

Did you enjoy the latest development roadmap? Looking forward to DX11 and VR? Do you think Studio 397 are taking the simulation in the right direction? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited:
yeah the "which series to license" argument will just go round and round in circles as like everything else you cannot please everybody. Whilst a majority would say want a BTCC License for example that would undoubtedly be very hard to obtain for the developer (cost for one, individual cars in the series another) and still people wouldn't want it when released as DLC for £9.99.

The trouble is there's a lot of choice out there in the real world, some of it easy to obtain (The Radical for example) and others extremely difficult (Aussie V8Supercars) for whatever reasons. So for a Dev to find a Full Series is a lot harder than most people seem to think, so when they do get one - regardless of its popularity - they simply have to go with it and hope it pleases enough people to warrant a DLC Cost for it.

It's essentially a bit of a gamble, but if you have the underlying physics, FFB, UI & graphics all up to scratch then you have a better chance of pleasing more of those people. That's where I see S397 right now, they're on the front foot with the basic necessities of the game, it's just the content left to really drive RF2 more into the popularity market.

• Deleted member 130869

They still have a lot of content that needs updating and about just as much they advertised as being licensed, and to sound like a broken record, some cars that are highly desirable and could lead larger fields of cars officially licensed or combined with modded content. Plus some people who had been waiting eons for cars to be released so they could use their information, like tires on the 95 Reynard.

Yes Reynard... the car that attracted me to rF2 :-(
CART/ChampCars are my favorites.

Also a proper prototype would be good. (Wish they would complete at these two cars first).

The screen shoots look like an improvident from than the first wips shots...
Nice to see improvements...

Draft AI is my holy grail for offline sim... Don't think any sim right now has ai that can draft overtake... It really annoys me!
I am not an expert on this, but when I watched the reply of my latest video racing around Adelaide in the URD Corvette I thought I had seen the blue and black 'Super V8' behind me did do a draft overtake...fast forward to 2.50...

When was an official Nordschleife announced?! Don't tease me like this :)
I can't wait for this big update! The guys at Studio 397 are starting to show rF2's full potential, I hope the delay will mean a stable release and lots of updated mod content.

PS; Oh, the UI looks STUNNING and intuitive!!!
Oh im sorry if i did give you high hopes, but i was just saying like kinda im hoping that the day will come that Nurre will enter to RF2. So its on my waiting list...

ISI laser scanned Nordschleife years ago, it's only available in the Pro version or rFactor. I wish they'd bring it to the people :(

Inetersting article about rFactor-Pro: http://www.isrtv.com/rfactor/rfactor-pro-now-also-simulates-motorcycles/Cheers!

ISI doesn't own the rights to rF Pro and I'm pretty sure they weren't the ones that did the track. AFAIK ISI has consulted and coded some parts of rF Pro, but everything else is done by the company that runs rF Pro. Also if the track is really built in 1 cm precision as they claim, I think it wouldn't run on any consumer PC.

ISI doesn't own the rights to rF Pro and I'm pretty sure they weren't the ones that did the track. AFAIK ISI has consulted and coded some parts of rF Pro, but everything else is done by the company that runs rF Pro. Also if the track is really built in 1 cm precision as they claim, I think it wouldn't run on any consumer PC.
I won't dispute what you are stating regarding ownership of rFactor-Pro, although it contradicts some articles I've read.

Regarding Nordschleife and other great tracks, simplified official consumer versions can be licensed and developed, not dissimilar to R3E and AC. Other SIMs charge for some DLC, I definitely wouldn't mind paying for quality content, of course we can still have free versions from other modders.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 358 15.7%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 252 11.0%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 243 10.7%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 179 7.8%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 302 13.2%