rFactor 2 Development Roadmap - Update on DX11 Inside...

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
rF2 Radical.png

Studio 397 have today released their latest Development Roadmap update for rFactor 2, giving fans an insight into the upcoming DX11 build and new VR implementation amongst other things.

Although for the most part the news of development progress from Studio 397 is very positive, it is a shame to hear that the proposed update to DX11 and VR support has been delayed until May 1st from the initial "end of Q1" reported during the initial development outline. To be fair with such a complex and involving process as this it is not surprising to see a delay, however I'm sure Studio 397 will be making the most of the extra time to ensure a positive experience once the update has been released.

Studio 397 have confirmed DX11 and VR support for both Vive and Oculus Rift are working in beta builds, as is a brand new user interface that will be included in the next build update. The UI will receive further enhancements and developments over time as S397 slowly add additional features and functionality over time. In other highlights from the March development update post it looks like rFactor 2 will be getting some new car and track announcements in the near future, however the studio are saving final details on those projects for another time.

Check out the full blog post update below:

DX11 Pipeline and Post FX
Over the course of the last month we have spent a lot of time to further optimise the HDR rendering pipeline. We also started adding post processing effects. This is a bit of a balancing act between ensuring we stay compatible with existing content and adding various improvements to the graphical output. Work on shaders, the shadow system, and on various other effects is also under way.

Working on the DX11 integration has allowed us to fix some things that were previously unaddressed or needed improvement. For example, we fixed an issue with stray coloured pixels in the distance, caused by MSAA artifacts. We also improved the way shadows are cast on the ground. Shadows now follow the normal maps of the materials, which means for example that the shadow on asphalt follows all the little bumps in the road. Our clouds are using much higher resolution textures, and we fine tuned ambient lighting in overcast conditions by adjusting both the color and intensity of the light.

Last month we already showed you improvements, some of which were very subtle. This month, we have a few new screenshots that will show we’re on the right track!

Night lights show a much more realistic, dynamic glow.
rF2 DX11 1.jpg

Our classic content looks great as the first rays of sunlight touch the banking.
rF2 DX11 2.jpg

The Camaro GT3 on a bright blue day at Mores.
rF2 DX11 3.jpg

Early morning going up the hill at Bathurst.
rF2 DX11 4.jpg

Virtual Reality is operational
Great news! We are already driving in VR – seeing a virtual sun rise through the trees is an incredible experience!

Our VR implementation is based on OpenVR. We chose OpenVR for its support of both headsets – the HTC Vive and the Oculus Rift – ensuring future compatibility. To complete the experience, we are integrating VR with the new UI and adjusting several other parts of the game, such as external cameras.

User Interface
The UI is really taking shape. The initial release will be functionally equivalent to the current user interface, but with some advanced features. Each month, features and functionality of the user interface will be improved. For example, the ability to create your own championships and easier ways to create your own hosted environments.

UI.png

Radical Content
We can’t wait to announce some very, very cool content news soon, for both cars and tracks. As you know, our ambition is to streamline content, aligning cars and tracks. In the meantime, the Radical SR3 is coming along nicely. We have extensive technical data from Radical and are creating the most realistic version that has ever been produced.

rF2 Radical.png

Modding
We are very happy that many modding teams have already applied to join our special forum. We have already started to share information there about upgrading custom shaders. Over the next couple of weeks we will proceed with guidelines on materials and textures as well as provide early beta builds for you to check your work. These guides will be part of a new documentation that we will publish and maintain going forward. So, if you are working on new or existing mods for rFactor 2 and have not done so yet, contact Christopher and Marcel to join the dedicated DX11 forum.

That wraps up another monthly roadmap update. We hope you are as excited as we are about what the future will bring!

rFactor 2 is available right now for Windows PC exclusively on the Steam platform.

Additional third party content can be downloaded from a variety of sources, one of which is the RaceDepartment rFactor 2 modding archive. Head over and check out the latest releases for the sim, or alternatively join in the discussion and keep up to date with the latest news at our rFactor 2 sub forum right here at RD. If downloading mods or keeping up to date with the latest news items aren't your thing, you can always sign up to one of our epic Club and League events using the software. We hold regular club racing events in our schedule, however the jewel in our crown in no doubt the RaceDepartment Le Mans Series. This is our premium endurance league using rFactor 2. Head over to the RDLMS forum to find out more!

Did you enjoy the latest development roadmap? Looking forward to DX11 and VR? Do you think Studio 397 are taking the simulation in the right direction? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited:
Missing a targeted release date by only a month when it was announced as a hopeful possibility back in October is doing pretty good!

Not knowing what other improvements are in the works, my wish list priorities are:
1) Rain on windshields/goggles.
2) Drivetrain/clutch modeling.
3) AI that better understand the draft.

Looking good. As nice as it will be to get improvements in the shaders and shadows department, I'm looking forward to the multithreading improvements that DX11 enables. It should definitely help with high grid numbers and stabilize framerates. Looking forward to it guys! :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Missing a targeted release date by only a month when it was announced as a hopeful possibility back in October is doing pretty good!

Not knowing what other improvements are in the works, my wish list priorities are:
1) Rain on windshields/goggles.
2) Drivetrain/clutch modeling.
3) AI that better understand the draft.
Draft AI is my holy grail for offline sim... Don't think any sim right now has ai that can draft overtake... It really annoys me!

As you know, our ambition is to streamline content, aligning cars and tracks. In the meantime, the Radical SR3 is coming along nicely.

OK, the SR3 I can't wait for. It and the Skippy are the two race cars I have driven in real life.

But what does the streamlining of content/aligning cars and tracks mean? I honestly have no idea.

I am concerned about the updating of the existing content, most of which is sorely in need of it. The lovely new graphics and better/more functional UI won't help me if the content (cars and tracks) is not similarly polished.

Vinegar alert!

Not impressed at all. I loaded up the new Nissan...is sounds like grandma's coffeemachine...when its broke.
- DX11 high cloud textures....i tend to look at the track when racing or has it become a flightsim?

- VR...will not do for me
- Modding teams...nearly all mods are straight from rF1...

rF2 has been my favorite racesim for a long period of time but not anymore. Studio 123 tinkering on rF2 to create some life into the sim seems a useless action as progress is simply too slow. Soon Pcars 2 will be slammin high end textures around, Simbin will release the long awaited GTR3 and Reiza has a suprise coming up and rF2....lets download another ugly dx9 rF1 mod...

Reiza is doing a far better job on AMS with just plain dx9 without VR.

Vinegar alert!

Not impressed at all. I loaded up the new Nissan...is sounds like grandma's coffeemachine...when its broke.
- DX11 high cloud textures....i tend to look at the track when racing or has it become a flightsim?

- VR...will not do for me
- Modding teams...nearly all mods are straight from rF1...

rF2 has been my favorite racesim for a long period of time but not anymore. Studio 123 tinkering on rF2 to create some life into the sim seems a useless action as progress is simply too slow. Soon Pcars 2 will be slammin high end textures around, Simbin will release the long awaited GTR3 and Reiza has a suprise coming up and rF2....lets download another ugly dx9 rF1 mod...

Reiza is doing a far better job on AMS with just plain dx9 without VR.
Stop being a child and apreciate all the efort and passion that S397 put on RF2,if you can do better make your own sim ;)

@Rastas
whilst we can all have our favorite sim/game out the bunch, and we understand everybody has there own opinions on things.
I know i have a few gripes on certain sims.
But RD will not accept personal attacks on any members. Please remember this in future posts.

If VR is implimented well with decent steering wheel animation and ability to move position left or right as well as up and down as well as the updated textures i will buy for a third time. I really want to like this sim. I hope it becomes much easier to use as i have always found the interface really boring.

If dx11 will help when running a large grid of ai, bring it on. Must admit I'm indifferent when it comes to the graphics though. I kinda like its raw nerdy look, but I guess a visual update can't hurt. It's my most used sim so looking forward to see what's coming. Unless it costs money.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back