rf2 Steam info: ISI Q&A

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
12.jpg

Back in September rFactor 2 developers Image Space Incorporated announced their intention to launch the popular simulator on the Steam platform, moving away from the current download and subscription method via ISI's own website.

With the planned go live due before Christmas 2015 many of the community have been left confused regarding what the move will mean in reality and how different Stream features can be incorporated in the sim. In response to the upcoming move, ISI have today released a short Q&A aiming to answer the most common questions.

Q&A on Steam:
If I already own rF2, can I move over to the Steam version for free?
Yes you can migrate over to the Steam version at no extra cost. Once you do this, your original non-Steam product is no longer active.

How will Steam work with Standard/Lifetime?
For those who do not buy or have Lifetime, you will need to buy online access through Steam. We will not offer Lifetime upgrades (from ‘Offline’) on Steam. We are also planning to stop doing Standard to Lifetime upgrades for the non-Steam version soon.

rF2 on Steam will offer three things:
– rF2 Offline
– 1 Year Online for rF2 (adds multiplayer to rF2 Offline)
– rF2 Lifetime (has multiplayer included)

Will my online access be carried over from non-Steam to Steam?
No, not for the standard version of rF2. We are not able to move over remaining online access, so users may want to wait until that expires before migrating. Lifetime access is carried over to Steam.

Why Steam? Why now? What Steam features are implemented in rF2?
We have done a lot of work to support Steam, including implementation of Steam Workshop for additional content. Here is a more comprehensive list:

– automatic updates of rFactor and mods
– support for Steam Workshop as a single easy source for all ISI and third party mods
– workshop items will automatically stay up to date
– leagues can use the workshop to create a convenient installation for participants
– automatic backup of car setups in the Steam cloud
– integration with the Steam matchmaker for finding servers
– support for the Steam friends system to join a friend’s game
– screenshots can be quickly shared on Steam
– broadcast options to allow (your friends or anybody) to watch you play
– streaming support that allow you to run rFactor 2 on one system but stream the graphics to another
– Steam Music Player support to listen to your favourite songs in your car and control the stereo
– statistics and achievements that you can use to compare your performance against others

Some may consider it a better platform for rFactor 2 due to the Steam integration, but we’re not planning on any Steam exclusive features (apart from those that require Steam or are enabled by using it, as can be seen above).

Will non-Steam and Steam rF2 be cross compatible?
Our goal is that MP races are cross compatible, yes.

Will a non-Steam version continue to be sold?
We will continue to sell a non-steam version for an undefined period. We may look to wind down new sales on the non-Steam version, but much like rF1, this is probably a long-term transition, if it happens at all.

Will you be upgrading your account to Steam when its available, or will the move encourage you to purchase rFactor 2 if you haven't already? Let us know your opinions in the comments section below...

Last edited by a moderator:
In the rF1 world, you can buy a license, run it on multiple computers, and connect to multiplayer games on a private network. ISI found that businesses abused this feature by purchasing one copy and installing it 10-20 times for private arcades.
So explain why we need to pay yearly fee to have this technical feature in the game? Like you say:

The response was the rF2 multiplayer, which only permits you to run multiplayer when you're connected to the Internet. Even then, ISI lets you run a few multiple copies to troubleshoot things provided you don't abuse their generosity (in which case you get a letter from Tim Wheatley).
= it is a money grab.

If they wanted they could just connect to internet everytime. The fee on top of that has nothing to do with the actual issue.

Just fyi live for speed does the same online checking thing. For. Free. And has been doing it from 2003 or so...

And for the record I don't say isi are being dishonest here. I think their reasoning from early on was that they wanted to increase their revenues and the paid online access was the way to do it.

The response was the rF2 multiplayer, which only permits you to run multiplayer when you're connected to the Internet. Even then, ISI lets you run a few multiple copies to troubleshoot things provided you don't abuse their generosity (in which case you get a letter from Tim Wheatley).
I think their reasoning with taking the mp out and selling it for extra money was that they thought they'd make more money that way. Let's not forget that when rf2 came out we were at the peak of f2p and microtransaction era of gaming. For a while it looked that the big publishers will add all the microtransaction bullshit into full paid games. Taking out features to sell them later as dlc, taking out content to sell it as dlc, making the game more frustrating to play so they can sell booster packs.

You buy a 50€ game which has one third of its content taken out to be sold later as dlc, you pay for online access, you pay to advance faster in the game (progress in the game is slowed down so that buying booster packs is necessity). And there is no innovation with any of these features. It is just blatant money grab.

There are probably many reasons why companies are scaling back with the f2p nonsense in fully paid games. One of the reasons is money. Whenever I see gamers online talk about business decisions the only thing people seem to think is that the more expensive the game is the more money the developer makes. That is simply not true. In steam for example where there are discounts that's when the big peaks in sales are. Discounts is where the games make loads of money.

So what happened rf2 jumped on the bandwagon and simply tried to make people pay more. The industry is slowly backing off (look at forza 5 vs forza 6) but rf2 stays where it was.

So, you may not see value in the way rF2 licenses multiplayer, but ISI does. You also have the choice of paying or not paying, so your complaint is moot.
My opinion is as moot as your opinion. The validity of my complaint does not depend what you think of it :).

Right, they should make it simply lifetime license only.
Giving people options just makes them choose what they can complain more about.
to be honest I have very little interest in MP in rF2 .. so option to buy cheaper offline version of sim that is still in developement is nice to have ... and as majority sim players are offline only I think I`m not the only one ..

@Ghoults you don´t seem to understand the whole situation. Thinking that a company wouldn´t charge you for a feature just because it is not buyable as an option is ...err well naive.
If this option for online feature wouldn´t exist we all would have to pay just one price and that would be the whole package (including MP).
So having a choice is obviously better. If you don´t like rf2 and its business model just don´t buy it.

The slow steady crawl of ISI over the last 25 years is a model that while other devs come and go they just keep developing. It is a testament to their business model that most sims wouldn't even exist without their gmotor innovations. It is small but proven team and I would bet we are gonna see some more sims developed off their gmotor 2.5 engine. A dollar a month to advance sim racing and our hobby is peanuts.

The slow steady crawl of ISI over the last 25 years is a model that while other devs come and go they just keep developing. It is a testament to their business model that most sims wouldn't even exist without their gmotor innovations. It is small but proven team and I would bet we are gonna see some more sims developed off their gmotor 2.5 engine. A dollar a month to advance sim racing and our hobby is peanuts.
As much as I support ISI I don't like some of their decisions about rF2, wouldn't mind if a "GTR2" appeared again this time with the motor 2.5

As much as I support ISI I don't like some of their decisions about rF2, wouldn't mind if a "GTR2" appeared again this time with the motor 2.5

It just takes a team with some investment go get something like that going. You can license the engine, so all you need then is to secure a license and then produce the content. There have been many successful examples. GTR2, Reiza's titles and up to a point even titles like Shift and Shift 2. If you leverage crowdfunding you might even be able to do it without an investor. It's normal that ISI can't always please everybody, so there's plenty of space for others to innovate, based on the gMotor engine!

@Ghoults you don´t seem to understand the whole situation. Thinking that a company wouldn´t charge you for a feature just because it is not buyable as an option is ...err well naive.

I'm not really sure what you mean here. I don't think people would have any issues with the paywall if paying for it had some features included in it. But it is just online access. It is nothing more or less than what comes with rf1, assetto corsa, pcars,f1 2014, gran turismo 6. The only reason the extra cost does seem to exist is to try to increase the income. Looking at the rate of development and lisences it doesn't seem to be working. But what do I know. Maybe rf2 is the sim racing success and isi are just too busy counting their millions to actually lisence any content...

I don't really understand what you mean.

Do you mean that it is naive to expect online access to not be behind paywall?

I'm don't really sure what you mean here. I don't think people would have any issues with the paywall if paying for it had some features included in it. But it is just online access. It is nothing more or less than what comes with rf1, assetto corsa, pcars,f1 2014, gran turismo 6. The only reason the extra cost does seem to exist is to try to increase the income. Looking at the rate of development and lisences it doesn't seem to be working. But what do I know. Maybe rf2 is the sim racing success and isi are just too busy counting their millions to actually lisence any content...

I don't really understand what you mean.

Do you mean that it is naive to expect online access to not be behind paywall?
With the other sims you have to pay for dlc, you don't with rf2

But it is just online access. It is nothing more or less than what comes with rf1, assetto corsa, pcars,f1 2014, gran turismo 6.

You don't need anything pre installed to login a server and go racing...

The multiplayer is the biggest resource of tracks, cars, skins and setups. They are all downloadable via the server lobby's.

It's not just online access like the other games. ;)

Last edited:
Increase or generate (since they don't do dlc's). Pick your poisen, which is obvious you have.:)

Or neither. I don't really need to choose anything. Plenty of games have managed to have continued development without DLCs just by selling copies of their game. If rf2 hadn't managed to drop the ball so comprehensibly they might be able to do better job with the development as well.

Who knows. Maybe it is all working splendidly for rf2 as it is. Personally I doubt it but like everyone in this thread I don't know anything as to whether rf2 has been financially positive for isi or not.

With the other sims you have to pay for dlc, you don't with rf2
I'm not going to pay 10€ just to even look at how many players there are online. And what cars they are driving. I'm not going to pay 10€ just to see there is nothing interesting for me. (not going to do leagues). The paywall doesn't just block people from playing online but also block people from seeing what they are actually paying for. With dlc I can actually see the things I'm getting.

And in principle I disagree with the whole idea that something as essential and basic as the online access could be behind paywall in a sim like rf2.

Or neither. I don't really need to choose anything. Plenty of games have managed to have continued development without DLCs just by selling copies of their game. If rf2 hadn't managed to drop the ball so comprehensibly they might be able to do better job with the development as well.

Who knows. Maybe it is all working splendidly for rf2 as it is. Personally I doubt it but like everyone in this thread I don't know anything as to whether rf2 has been financially positive for isi or not.

I'm not going to pay 10€ just to even look at how many players there are online. And what cars they are driving. I'm not going to pay 10€ just to see there is nothing interesting for me. (not going to do leagues). The paywall doesn't just block people from playing online but also block people from seeing what they are actually paying for. With dlc I can actually see the things I'm getting.

And in principle I disagree with the whole idea that something as essential and basic as the online access could be behind paywall in a sim like rf2.
Ok

It just takes a team with some investment go get something like that going. You can license the engine, so all you need then is to secure a license and then produce the content. There have been many successful examples. GTR2, Reiza's titles and up to a point even titles like Shift and Shift 2. If you leverage crowdfunding you might even be able to do it without an investor. It's normal that ISI can't always please everybody, so there's plenty of space for others to innovate, based on the gMotor engine!
I'm hoping next Reiza sim will be a new "GTR2". I like some of the stuff they already said (DX12, 3d animations, taking used tires to go on track). But it will be the 2.0 engine with their own evolution, not so sure what they can do with that, hope it will be good enough for people to mod and race online with is. Q4 2016 can't come soon enough :D

You dont need to pay 10€ if you want to watch whats going on online.

http://servers.proracing.club

I'm hoping next Reiza sim will be a new "GTR2". I like some of the stuff they already said (DX12, 3d animations, taking used tires to go on track). But it will be the 2.0 engine with their own evolution, not so sure what they can do with that, hope it will be good enough for people to mod and race online with is. Q4 2016 can't come soon enough :D
Reiza with free hand and well founded ... pretty much safe bet for best sim ever ;) I wish they go with early access or one more crowdfounding so they won`t be struggeling money wise ...

Ghoults mate, maaaaaaaate.....

Plenty of other game devs have understood that they require gimmicks/incentives/deception to convince people to buy their product.

These are the companies buying ISI technology, either in part or whole, or have at the very least taken strong influence from ISI.
Regardless of opinion, there can be little debate that ISI control the majority stake in industry led features.

This is where ISI make their money... licencing, not selling to the great unwashed.

So yes, they might make a few hundred thousand from DLC or they can continue doing what they have been doing for years. They can continue to allow the product to speak for itself, gathering natural, sustainable momentum while promoting multiple revenue streams instead of going for a 'cash grab'

ISI originally intended to have one price only and introduced the multiplayer fee as and additional revenue stream.
Why?

Perhaps the fact that a very large amount of people 'supporting this genre' decided they would rather not pay for rFactor.
These people race alongside those who did buy it.... seems fair enough hey!

Tim Wheatley at ISI has mentioned that they only provided the lifetime option because of demand.

How has rF2 dropped the ball? I remember the night I purchased rFactor 2. I remember reading "rFactor 2 is an evolving product, and as such, we expect to be adding cars, tracks and features for many years to come. We encourage people to purchase rFactor2 based on its current features and content at the time of purchase. " from the purchase page.

The have perhaps under delivered due to the apparent hold up with stock cars(and it's underlying tech) but they are still delivering on that statement they made back in 2012.

To me it's very clear, that as each bit gets polished in the game, it goes from a perceived rF1.5 to rF2.5.
This last year has seen a great many issue dealt with to a very high level. Once the remainder receives this treatment, I honestly can't imagine giving anything else the time of day.

I'm looking at you server browser.
I mean really, we still can't sort by latency or see the cars in use unless specified in the title. Do we think that's it! ISI will just leave it like that forever? I'd rather have faith that they will deliver a system based on what is required for rFactor 2.

I can see it now. The upgrade option is removed, multiplayer updated, everyone crying because they can no longer get lifetime.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 401 16.4%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 270 11.1%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 259 10.6%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 187 7.7%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 317 13.0%