rf2 skinning tuts/help...

tjc

Premium
Hey guys...

I`m wondering if any of you know of any links to rf2 skinning tuts or if any skinners would kindly write up a basic tut?

Doesn`t have to in depth, just the basics to get me started. I`ve looked around for tuts and also asked around at different places but not come up with anything that`s helped so far as a lot of the tuts I`ve found are for rfactor and there seems to be subtle differences in skinning with rfactor and rf2... certainly for a noob like me lol...

Anyway, any help would be very much appreciated.

:)

Hey tjc,

I am sure there are tutorials around on the forum. There is one in the race07 section, which can be applied for rFactor2 aswell.
You could use GIMP (freeware), but with this software you cannot apply/change/update the alpha layer.
With Photoshop you can, but that costs money...

Cheers,

S

tjc,
I assume you have PS knowledge, so I will keep it simple, and not go into the details of the actual program. If something is unclear, or you do not know how to do some action, just ask.

What I normally do is work in steps. Starting with a blanc, newly downloaded template (no matter if it is rF2, GSC, Race07 or rfactor), is creating the several layers I need. So, I make selections around all parts of the car (Spoiler, bumbers etc), and make individual layers out of all selections.
Next. I start with a base color. This can be a single color, but also a combination of, or a fluid combi. The last one is a bit more hard, as you have to match the colors of the individual parts, which are not alligned in the template, so trial and error is the best option here.

When the base of the car is finished, I start with the logo's. In case i use a large side image (as the Maserati I did for example), I do that one first.
100mid2.jpg

After the base of the white and blue, I have put the misses on. She is significant on the car, so her position must not be compromised by logo's.

When thats done, start the windows if needed. For windows, transparancy, and Alpha layers, you can best read the tutorial suggested by Stefan.

Last, but not least, you need to save it in the correct format. Format used in the games is .dds. This can be done in several different settings, and I do not know them all by heart anymore. Need to look that up.

I believe for Race07 and GSC, you need to save the skin in DXT5 With minmaps. The windows go in DXT1 without. As said, I am not sure about this anymore.

THink this should get you started a bit ;) When you have detailed questions, just ask.
If you want an example, send me a PM with your email address, and I will send you a link to the .psd file of a skin I did. That way, you can check that out in terms of layers and stuff.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 329 15.4%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 226 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 223 10.5%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 166 7.8%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 288 13.5%