1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Featured rF2: Road America Released

Discussion in 'rFactor 2' started by Paul Jeffrey, Oct 27, 2015.

1. Paul Jeffrey

Paul Jeffrey
    Sim Racing News Editor Staff Premium Member

A scratch made version of Road America for rFactor 2 has been released recently featuring all the latest goodies available in ISI's premium simulation, namely working RealRoad and updated shaders and graphical improvements.

Originally started by Dennis Grebe, best known for his Virtua_LM track development of Le Mans, Fuji, Nazareth, and Topeka tracks for rFactor 2, the project was taken over by SimHQ Motorsports track developer Alex Coutie when it became apparent that development and release of this mod could not be worked on to a satisfactory level whilst still maintaining development of other projects ongoing with the tracks inital creator.

A fan favorite, Road America is sure to be a popular addition to the sim and fits perfectly with the StockCar and IndyCar content released by ISI.

Established in 1955, Road America is located midway between Milwaukee and Green Bay in Elkhart Lake, Wisconsin. Its legendary four-mile, 14-turn road circuit has challenged the world’s best racers for over 57 years. The 640-acre, park-like grounds offer amazing viewing opportunities, fantastic concessions and high-speed excitement to thousands of spectators each year. In addition to public race weekends, Road America offers group event programs, the Road America Motorplex for karting and Supermoto, and the Road America Motorcycle and Advanced Driving Schools.

Will you be downloading the track to try yourself? Leave you impressions in the comments section below!

Download Here @ RaceDepartment
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 27, 2015
    • Like Like x 6
  2. Yay! :thumbsup:
  3. Paul Jeffrey

Paul Jeffrey
    Sim Racing News Editor Staff Premium Member

Yay indeed!
  4. Nice, but tbh, personally i would prefer senormens & diggas version... ;)
  5. Kjell Eilertsen

Kjell Eilertsen
    Premium Member

No DL link?
  6. Download Here @ RaceDepartment
    • Beer Beer x 1
  7. Road America is one of my favourite tracks so was very exited when I heard this news....only that when I tried it most of the road texture seems missing!?

Maybe it's a problem with my pc or you guys get the same?
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. same her...but i guess, they`re not (visually) missing, still not there.
  9. However, looking at these pictures, road texture is supposed to be fine..........just not on my pc

Download Here @ RaceDepartment
  10. Daiman Patel

Daiman Patel
    RedShift Racing Staff Premium Member

The track has now been made available to download here, at RaceDepartment. :thumbsup:
  11. I don't have any issues. What is your track detail setting at?
  12. Good point Chris...I'll check when I get home. Is the setting in rF2 Video Settings?
  13. David O'Reilly

David O'Reilly
    A bad quali means I can go forwards in the race.

Good news, I've had some great multiplayer racing on this circuit.
    So many tracks so little time.
    Still hoping for a 2 hours of Bathurst soon!
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Here are the track details and how it looks. Is this how it should look or I have something wrong? :O_o:

15. JeffL

Right on Brother, I hear ya, it's all good. Premium Member

I am all about the racing but it does look very cartoonish to me also. I don't know if the other version is a rip. Just did a league race on it and it is a good track.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  16. The track works, I found my way around it easily enough despite incorrect elevations, the AI is on the slightly slow side compared to other tracks. Someone identified a possible reason for the slow AI, but I haven't investigated.

Other versions are, to use a charitable phrase, enhanced imports from another game (Grid?). At this point, even though they have pavement that is too wide, I tend to prefer them to this scratch release because the elevations are certainly closer to reality.

Now if someone merged the road textures from this version with the terrain of the other version, we'd be another notch closer to nirvana, but still a ways from, say, iRacing.

Now about the elevations... I'm really surprised they're so off since there are at least two sources of reasonable elevation information (official competitor track map with elevations at each corner http://www.roadamerica.com/media/wysiwyg/maps/CompetitorMap_2015.pdf and GPS trace from bicycles http://veloviewer.com/segment/2155354/Lap+of+Road+America to fill in the straights) that can be reconciled against each other. Plus Google Earth. Sadly, no government aerial lidar survey yet.
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2015
    • Like Like x 4
  17. kamackeris

Premium Member

I too prefer senor man /digga's version. For some reason on this track the ai one of the ai cars would slow down dramatically on the home straight for no reason ... I had to quit. Downloaded senor man's Road America and had no such problem. I thought his version looked better too
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Martin Vindis

Martin Vindis
    Premium Member

I'm also sticking with digga's version. Good effort tho, next time don't make a track that's already out there in a good version.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. I'm very interested in the SimHQ release because the base geometry was made by ethone (I think, not sure of the username) but the visual aspect is quite lacking. From color balance to textures of trees, grass and asphalt. But I have faith on an update. I'd rather drive this over the Señormen/Digga conversion given the better geometry and proper road resolution/geometry work but I'll have to settle for the conversion instead.
  20. kamackeris

Premium Member

I was really enjoying the simhq version until I encountered the ai problems. My time with digga's I found the ai to be much better