rF2 Nissan GT500 v1.2 and Build 1108 Update 2 Released

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
rFactor 2 GT500 v1.2 - 3.jpg

Studio 397 have released a brand new version of the popular Japanese Super GT specification Nissan GT 500 for rFactor 2, alongside deploying a second update to the new build release 1108 back in December.

Hot on the heels of the December 28th 'update 1' release, the new build patch does add one or two very interesting and useful enhancements to support livery makers who use car templates for their designs. It should be noted however that one should ensure they do not edit those files in the templates folder as they will be overwritten when new updates for that car are deployed. The advice from Studio 397 is to save a copy before beginning work on any custom liveries.

In terms of the version 1.2 Nissan GT500, the new car build adds a substantial number of improvements over the previously released vehicle. Immediately obvious from the update comes the inclusion of three new tyre compounds in the form of softs, mediums and hards as well as an intermediate tyre for light rain conditions and several substantial improvements to the admittedly rather weak audio effects previously found with this car. Studio 397 claim the new sounds have been completely reworked from the original, giving a "deeper range and a more raw and resonant feel". Undoubtedly this is good news as, for me at least, the original sounds accompanying the GT500 proved to be a major let down and went a long way towards breaking the immersion of an otherwise very impressive piece of content.

You can read the full statement from Studio 397 and respective change logs for 'Build Update 2' and the GT500 below -

"And we’re back, as promised, with an updated Nissan GT500 – there’s a worthy set of improvements and upgrades to get excited about!

On the physics side, we’ve added a new set of tyres, including a full range of compounds for added strategy and increased competitiveness. The previous dry compound is now split into three types – soft, medium, and hard. We’ve also added an intermediate compound for light wet conditions. The all-new audio for the GT500 is a complete overhaul. We’ve replaced all sounds to give a deeper range and a more raw and resonant feel. Full credits for this go to Rick Schoenmaker, who did an awesome job!

On the graphics side, we’ve made some considerable improvements and added features, including improved car body reflections, backfire effects, headlight lens flare, and more. We’ve had community feedback from many different people here, and we would like to mention Ales Ogrinc for generously contributing several 3D objects for inclusion in the update.

Accompanying this update is a new build: 1108 update 2. Like update 1 we released on December 28th, 2016, this build is fully backward compatible, which means there is no need to update your dedicated server. With this new build we introduce a new system to distribute templates with our cars. As soon as you upgrade to the new build, whenever you start the Launcher, it will install templates into a folder called “Templates” in your rFactor 2 main folder. Do not edit those files in place though, as they will be overwritten on updates of the car. Make a copy before you start designing your own livery.

The new version of the Nissan can be found in the workshop, and you will automatically be updated if you are subscribed to it".

Nissan GT500 v1.2 and Build 1108 Release Notes:

Sounds
  • Added a completely new pack of sounds that should be a lot closer to the way the original car sounded.
Graphics
  • Added additional tyre compounds, the car now has soft, medium, hard, intermediates and full wet compounds.
  • Added additional rim types to reflect the ones used by the different teams.
  • Added fluorescent shader for digits on the dashboard.
  • Added backfire graphics.
  • Fixed a gap between the driver helmet and the body.
  • Fixed tyres going through the fenders when under load.
  • Updated body 3D shape, adding a missing floor, correcting the front fender shape and some smaller tweaks.
  • Updated icons.
  • Improved cockpit textures on the fans, door handles and several other small details.
  • Improved body reflections.
  • Improved level of detail (LOD) models.
  • Improved exhaust model and textures.
  • Improved windows in cockpit view and added the missing side windows.
  • Improved liveries.
  • Improved headlights, now with lens flares.
Physics
  • Added new tyre compounds to match those added to the graphics.
  • Updated a few garage settings.
  • Slightly tweaked the AI physics.
Code (Build 1108 update 2)
  • Added code that allows car modellers to tweak the body roll for AI physics to ensure tyres don’t go through fenders graphically.
  • Introduced a simple mechanism for distributing templates with cars (which will end up in a “Templates” folder until the new UI is released).
  • Fixed a problem where the launcher accidentally URL encoded passwords, making it impossible to join servers with certain characters in the password.

rFactor 2 is available exclusively on the Steam network for Windows PC right now.

rFactor 2 GT500 v1.2 - 2.jpg
rFactor 2 GT500 v1.2.jpg

Additional third party content can be downloaded from a variety of sources, one of which is the RaceDepartment rFactor 2 modding archive. Head over and check out the latest releases for the sim, or alternatively join in the discussion and keep up to date with the latest news at our rFactor 2 sub forum right here at RD. If downloading mods or keeping up to date with the latest news items aren't your thing, you can always sign up to one of our epic Club and League events using the software. We hold regular club racing events in our schedule, however the jewel in our crown in no doubt the RaceDepartment Le Mans Series. This is our premium endurance league using rFactor 2. Head over to the RDLMS forum to find out more!

Have you tried out the updated GT500 and new build of the game? Do you like the car post update? How does the GT500 compare to other vanilla rF2 content? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited:
They say that they made the sound for the GT 500 but that was better before, most exciting,
now barely listen to him !!! I think it was better before. And something else when you want to see in your back what is going on you listen only the left site of your speaker.

Last edited:
Good to see them follow up from something for their racers, the sound did lack quite a bit and I'll be checking this out, I've always been a fan of super GT, would be amazing we got the lexus rc f & honda nsx gt500 versions to accompany the Nissan!

its slightly worrying when this is supposed to be the updated improved sounds for this car, might be worth the studio getting a nice set of monitor speakers to reference the audio. Initially i thought my soundbar EQ had been altered to remove the bass by accident but even setting the bass to max couldn't draw out any low frequencies. :thumbsdown:

its slightly worrying when this is supposed to be the updated improved sounds for this car, might be worth the studio getting a nice set of monitor speakers to reference the audio. Initially i thought my soundbar EQ had been altered to remove the bass by accident but even setting the bass to max couldn't draw out any low frequencies. :thumbsdown:

Sound samples are not recorded in-studio by S397, practically always they are obtained from third party guy. 99% of the sound quality comes from how good the sample source is, for example the non-super GT cars from ISI (Nissan, Chevy) do sound very good. The current sounds are actually made by a modder:

We at Bsimracing are proud to mention that the new sound set for the Nissan GT500 is created by RMT’s own Rick Schoenmaker aka ThinlaneT. Its nice to see Rick back in action on the rF2 front.

Agree with all of the comments regarding sound above. It lacks bass and fullness, but the original car is a horrid sounding beast so one problem with making it more realistic is that it will also be more annoying. This may be the most difficult car out there to get the sound right on. If you make it pin-point accurate, it may be even more annoying and grating than what we have now.

However, until it sounds like a real, powerful race car (like the rF2 Nissan GTR), I won't be able to judge that.

I think that if it's going to be grating and annoying either way, better to have a proper analogue feel to it with timbre and fullness that scares the pants off you when you make it go. That at least makes up for some of the droning and bucket of bolts sound of the real car. It does seem as though some sound modders do not have the proper equipment themselves to experience the full range of sound, because I am sure they wouldn't compress the range on purpose. It would be like a graphics person working with too little contrast on their screen.

lol is this supposed to be an update?
mega fail.
This car sounds worse than before.
And i thought that i couldn't be an worse than that.
Studio 397 did it....
It drives like sh*t too.
Actually it's like a bad mod.
This game occupies valuable GB's of space in my SSD....

Disappointing... :(

Good to see them follow up from something for their racers, the sound did lack quite a bit and I'll be checking this out, I've always been a fan of super GT, would be amazing we got the lexus rc f & honda nsx gt500 versions to accompany the Nissan!
This nissan is 2013. rc-f and nsx didnt race back than. 2013 was last year of what we have seen this kinda designs in gt500.
The challengers of this S397 nissan would be Honda HSV and Lexus SC430.
With 2014 they changed the rules and the cars became DTM style ;) plus the new ones are actuall even faster.

Sounds better then before imo but like others have said it's missing low end. Despite the sound it's one of my fav cars to drive right now. Just wish it had some direct competition ;)

This nissan is 2013. rc-f and nsx didnt race back than. 2013 was last year of what we have seen this kinda designs in gt500.
The challengers of this S397 nissan would be Honda HSV and Lexus SC430.
With 2014 they changed the rules and the cars became DTM style ;) plus the new ones are actuall even faster.

Didn't realise the power difference between years, and my mind farted getting the car models lexus and Honda used those year, silly me, even though the nsx wasn't thaaat good of a contender last year I love the design of the car, same goes for the rc f from lexus!

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 267 15.3%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 177 10.1%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 179 10.2%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 132 7.6%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 235 13.4%