rF2 McLaren 650s Released - GT3 Pack Confirmed...

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
rF2 McLaren 650s GT3.jpg

Studio 397 have released the new McLaren 650s DLC and opened pre orders for the newly announced GT3 DLC pack coming September...

Already confirmed as part of the 'Worlds Fastest Gamer' competition and marking the first time rFactor 2 has been in receipt of paid DLC content, the McLaren 650s GT3 DLC has caused something of a stir within the sim racing community in recent weeks.

Developed by Studio 397 in conjunction with both McLaren themselves and several GT3 teams who run the beautiful cars, the new DLC promises to be one of the most accurate first party additions in the history of the simulation.

Developed completely in house by Studio 397, the McLaren will be their fourth car release since taking over development of the simulation from Image Space Incorporated, and the new vehicle will be the first release under the new paid DLC structure introduced by the developers.

Retailing for £4.46 via the rFactor 2 Steam Store page, the car will actually form part of a wider five car GT3 release scheduled to hit later in the year in September.

Although pre order sales for the new GT3 pack have opened up, Studio 397 and rFactor 2 have yet to reveal which cars will be joining the McLaren in the simulation come release day. Although announcements are sure to come in the following days and weeks, it is known that the four as yet unannounced machines have been developed with full support and backing of the relevant manufacturers, allowing Studio 397 to lavish the same level of attention to detail across the whole pack as has been given to the new McLaren.

The 650s and upcoming GT3 pack are the first of several newly rationalised DLC offerings expected to be coming to rFactor 2 over the next few months and years.

Studio 397 have gone on record several times to reiterate that content releases for rFactor 2 will be more focussed towards releasing packs of related cars and classes in future, rather than the sometimes disjointed single car releases that seem to be the plague of the sim racing marketplace in recent years.

Catching a brief chat with Studio 397 head @Marcel Offermans tonight, the Dutchman had plenty to say about the bright future of rFactor 2 and the interesting DLC packs coming to the sim over the next few months.

When asked what the short, medium and long term future looks like for rFactor 2 content, Offermans confirmed that although plenty of officially licenced DLC is in the works, issues around non disclosure agreements and manufacturer approvals prevent the studio from revealing too much at this stage of development, however he did go on to confirm the studio plan to further make use of the Steam item store for not only official content, but third party releases too..

"We plan to open up this item store to third party paid content too, obviously making sure that content meets certain quality standards, is not ripped, properly licensed, etc (and we can work with people to achieve that)" said Marcel.​

This could potentially be a game changer for modding teams, especially with the confirmation that Studio 397 are willing to work alongside modding teams to secure the proper licencing rights and quality standards required to bring paid content to the simulation.

Moving on to the subject of tracks, it has been stated again that the developers plan to bring laserscanning locations to the simulation in the near future, in an effort to best replicate tracks to a standard now becoming something of an expectation of the sim racing community:

"...that is something we’re working on behind the scenes at the moment, and similar to cars we want to also come with paid, licensed and laser scanned tracks there.

However despite the recent pay DLC McLaren and upcoming GT3 pack, Offermans has confirmed that the simulation will still be in receipt of free add-ons too, ensuring those not willing to go down the DLC route still get something new to enjoy in the near future:

"Our strategy won’t be to only create paid content, we will keep mixing it up with free content"

"(as for) volume, well, that depends a bit on how things go. We see content as an accelerator to further grow the platform, and also as the basis for our upcoming competition infrastructure as that clearly needs some good, aligned content"
On a final note during our brief midnight hours chat, Marcel confirmed the developers are in the process of "releasing a few guides on how to properly use this paid content when hosting a dedicated server and when using it in leagues", which should help clubs and leagues like our own here at RaceDepartment make the best use of this exciting new content.

Stay tuned to RaceDepartment for a more detailed interview with Marcel Offermans and Studio 397 in the next couple of weeks.... (when time allows anyway!!!)...

The McLaren 650s is available to purchase now, with the GT3 pack to follow come September.

rFactor 2 is a PC exclusive racing simulation developed by Studio 397. You can purchase the McLaren 650s HERE and pre order the upcoming 5 car GT3 pack HERE.

rF2 McLaren 650s GT3 2.jpg
rF2 McLaren 650s GT3 3.jpg
rF2 McLaren 650s GT3 4.jpg
rF2 McLaren 650s GT3 6.jpg

Check out the rFactor 2 sub forum here at RaceDepartment for all the latest news and discussion with regards to the simulation. You can take part in lively debates with fellow rFactor 2 fans and take part in some great Club and League racing events..! Head over to the forum now and share the love this simulation so very much deserves...

Have you tried the new McLaren yet? Will you be pre-ordering the GT3 pack? What do you think of the new DLC pricing structure? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited:
Think I'll wait and see what the other cars are first before I purchase the pack for me they should have at least fixed the Radical with an update before offering up paid content, can anybody tell me if they will be updating cars such as the Skip Barber and the Nissan 370 GT4 and what about the Third Party tracks such as Bathurst will these be receiving DX11 updates?

I'm not sure if you were serious or sarcastic, but the console ports of AC improved a lot the optimization of the 3D engine on PC: my potato PC was really happy at that time. :)
Im talking about the extra funding , extra funding means extra tracks and better DLC and more content because of more money ,
In the case of AC we got some more car DLC and no tracks , maybe 397 will be more generous :)

Yeah, and the fans of the game will call you out as a cheapskate. :D
https://forum.studio-397.com/index.php?threads/im-a-cheapskate.57124/
Cashflow for the developers is a must ,
Personally I have not played RF2 for at least 2 years , since then its gone to steam ,
someone said there was a limit of activating it on steam sadly I didnt know about it ,
I need to look into it , one thing i know is I wont be buying it again ,
but if its able to be activated ill play it and add some cars :)

But the cashflow for games is a must , RF2 is quite old we need to support these devs .

Think I'll wait and see what the other cars are first before I purchase the pack for me they should have at least fixed the Radical with an update before offering up paid content, can anybody tell me if they will be updating cars such as the Skip Barber and the Nissan 370 GT4 and what about the Third Party tracks such as Bathurst will these be receiving DX11 updates?

There's an Unofficial Bathurst DX11 update floating about somewhere, do a google and it'll show up.

Exactly my point! :D People always want them all and now 4 are not announced and people act weirdly about it? Strange!
I like it , its mystery , clever work from 397 ,
a GT3 car is GT3 car , its not beans on toast with a mystery flavor lol ,
Look at the GT3 in last 2-3 years and tell me you would not want any of them ,
there not offering fictional garbage , these guys are real people , GT3!!! Come on .

Group GT3 cars can be built either directly by the automotive manufacturer, such as Porsche, Audi, or Mercedes-Benz, or built by racing teams and tuning companies at the behest of the manufacturer, such as Ford GTs built by Matech Concepts, Lamborghinis built by Reiter Engineering, or Aston Martins by Prodrive.

Homologation Manufacturer Model Notes
GT3-001 Maserati Coupe Grand Sportif Light
GT3-002 Dodge Viper Competition Coupe
GT3-003 Aston Martin DBRS9
GT3-004 Lamborghini Gallardo LP520 GT3
GT3-005 Corvette Z06.R GT3
GT3-006 Ascari KZ1 GT3
GT3-007 Porsche 997 GT3 Cup 2006 model only
GT3-008 Venturi GT3 Heritage
GT3-009 Ferrari F430 GT3
GT3-010 Ford Racing Mustang FR500C GT
GT3-011[8] Ford GT GT3 Homologation expired, replaced by GT3-016
GT3-012[8] Jaguar XKR GT3 Homologation expired
GT3-013 Morgan Aero 8 GT3
GT3-014 Lotus Exige GT3
GT3-015 Porsche 911 GT3 Cup S
GT3-016 Ford GT GT3 Engine design was changed from GT3-011
GT3-017 Audi R8 LMS Includes R8 LMS ultra
GT3-018 BMW Alpina B6 GT3
GT3-019 Ferrari 430 Scuderia GT3
GT3-020 Dodge Viper Competition Coupe Series 2
GT3-021[8] Jaguar XKR-S GT3 Homologation expired
GT3-022 Morgan Aero Super Sport GT3
GT3-023 BMW Z4 GT3
GT3-024 Lamborghini Gallardo LP600+ GT3 Includes Gallardo FL2 GT3 and R-EX
GT3-025 Porsche 911 GT3 R 997 generation
GT3-026 Corvette Callaway Z06.R GT3
GT3-027[8] Ford Mustang VDS GT3 Homologation expired
GT3-028 Mercedes-AMG SLS AMG GT3
GT3-029 Ferrari 458 Italia GT3
GT3-030 Nissan GT-R Nismo GT3
GT3-031 McLaren MP4-12C GT3
GT3-032 Aston Martin V12 Vantage GT3
GT3-033 Chevrolet Camaro GT3
GT3-034 Maserati GranTurismo MC GT3
GT3-035 Bentley Continental GT3
GT3-036 Dodge Viper GT3-R
GT3-037 McLaren 650S GT3
GT3-038 Audi R8 LMS Second generation R8
GT3-039 Cadillac ATS-V.R GT3
GT3-040 Lamborghini Huracán GT3
GT3-041 Porsche 911 GT3 R 991 generation
GT3-042 Mercedes-AMG GT3
GT3-043 BMW M6 GT3
GT3-044 Ferrari 488 GT3
GT3-045 Corvette Callaway C7 GT3-R
GT3-046 Toyota Lexus RC F GT3
GT3-047 Honda Acura NSX GT3

Probably because we hope that they will be cars not available on AC. ;)
I think currently AC offers 10-11 GT3 cars there list is pretty impressive to be honest ,
I think so anyways , a very large offering ,
Problem is there is no wet weather , no night and day , no track marbles , no tire damage ,
and less tracks than a 1992 Nintendo Mario Kart ,

EDIT ,
Looking here the Super Mario Kart was released in 1992 , good memory from me and yes ,
it did offer more tracks than AC does 25 years later .....
https://www.mariowiki.com/Super_Mario_Kart

But when I take screenshots they look sick :roflmao:

Last edited:

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 290 15.4%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 195 10.3%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 195 10.3%
  • < 4 years