RF2: make the experience better?

is a bit of an animal! downloaded the Spa track and did and offline race with F2 cars. It was a real struggle like I was driving on marbles all the way round the track. I realise this game is uber realistic and it's very good but for a crap noob as myself, what should I have done to help make the experience better? FFB I moved from 1 up to 2 and left the ffb smoothness at 4 but I never felt in control. I tried the long beach with Indy cars last night and that was different again. Any help with this plus I need more cars!!! there doesn't seem to be that many in the mods section.

Cheers

Whoa, there is a spec miata in RF2?! I race STL miatas in real life but can only get my fix from iRacing... This is an instant buy if I can build and run a car much like my real one... Is it a mod?

(Back on topic)

Whoa, there is a spec miata in RF2?! I race STL miatas in real life but can only get my fix from iRacing... This is an instant buy if I can build and run a car much like my real one... Is it a mod?

(Back on topic)
It is a free mod:
http://www.racedepartment.com/threads/mx5-spec-miata.88955/
There is also a supercharged version, which I find very nice (don't know the link atm). The Original has no power compared to the cars I usually drive in rF2 and I nearly fall aspleed in the non supercharged Version on the straights:whistling:

It is a free mod:
http://www.racedepartment.com/threads/mx5-spec-miata.88955/
There is also a supercharged version, which I find very nice (don't know the link atm). The Original has no power compared to the cars I usually drive in rF2 and I nearly fall aspleed in the non supercharged Version on the straights:whistling:

I did.

http://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/supercharged-miata-level1.2758/

Just making your rF2 experience better. ;)

Let us know how it feels vs our miata.

I found the best way to make the RF2 experience better is to just get in it and DRIVE! Forget editing the PLR/JSON and tweaking various settings, forget doing benchmarks and trying to get that extra measly 5fps outta the sim, forget spending hours getting the AI to perform even better (they are just fine as standard...on good AIW tracks that is!).

Simply load up your fave mod & track combo, make sure Real Road is Normal and enter practice, spend the above wasted time on perfecting your driving line and setup. Hit qualifying, hell even go into a "Simulation Mode" or "Role Playing Mode" and play out the entire session like you would in Real Life...so NO Time Acceleration!
Then when the goosbumps have settled after qualifying 5th and just 0.132 behind the leader on a 4km track go to Warm-Up, make last minute checks and decisions on your setup....and then go Race!

I've been doing this constantly with the URD & Blancpain mods @ Bathurst in recent weeks and simply had my best RF2 experiences to date.

For added realism I can't recommend Geralds RF2 Spotter (found on official forums, maybe here too?) highly enough, really adds a sense of extra immersion to the Sim......unfortunatley there's a bit of INI editing which contradicts my opening statement somewhat :p

is the demo a good indication of the game anymore? Or has the game evolved technically and functionally?

My first impression was an interesting one this far, only with the demo... I was a bit reserved about the gfx, but they work very well when driving, all the head motion I liked, it did a good job of compensating for the lack of real car visceral sensation that you can't produce in a game... The force feedback was something I've never felt before with my CSRE... In fact I didn't know my wheel could nearly rip my arms off... And the AI?! What did I see, they actually have situational awareness? When I dive in, they notice and react appropriately assuming it's within their means too... They push for advantage but know your there...

From just the demo, RF2 really is a package deal it appears... It's not about one or two things, it's how several things work together... Little details like the flag marshals all waving their flags at the end of a race, etc. but I have a few questions;

1) Is the demo so old it's not a good representation of the game anymore?

2) Tripple screen works ok in the sim but there isn't good bezel correction and menses are stretched, is this fixed in the full game?

3) FF is brutal, what's the key setting to reduce it?

4) is audio proper 5.1 in the full game?

5) how do I move my camera closer to the dash? I'm 32" from the screen with a wider FOV accross 3 screens.

6) proper game mode/s like career mode or just a sandbox?

7) any insider information on future releases? I definitely prefer running tracks I race in real life like Laguna Seca, Sanoma, Thunder Hill, Willow Springs, COTA, and the nurburgring...

Sorry for all the noob questions, im really impressed with what I've seen so far... IRacing does a competent job and had most of my tracks but I do not like their business model and buying content plus subs and only being able to properly race when they say I can...

1) Is the demo so old it's not a good representation of the game anymore?
Build 860 came out one week ago and the demo is updated to that build, so if you have that build it is fully up to date. Everytime a new build comes out ISI updates the Demo as well.

2) Tripple screen works ok in the sim but there isn't good bezel correction and menses are stretched, is this fixed in the full game?
No idea I only have a single screen

3) FF is brutal, what's the key setting to reduce it?
Go to Settings -> Controls there you will find the FFB back multiplier, if you reduce it the FFB will be lower, if you increase it it will be stronger. In the full game you set it up per car. I use a bit more FFB on some cars for example.

4) is audio proper 5.1 in the full game?
No idea, I use headphines
5) how do I move my camera closer to the dash? I'm 32" from the screen with a wider FOV accross 3 screens.
You can reduce FOV and in the controls you will fins move seat forward and upward keys, so you can get closer to the dash, higher up, lower down in a certain margin.

6) proper game mode/s like career mode or just a sandbox?
No proper career mode just normal single player races. Some modders here created championship mods with a few tracks, but there is no diffrence compared to a normal AI race.
7) any insider information on future releases? I definitely prefer running tracks I race in real life like Laguna Seca, Sanoma, Thunder Hill, Willow Springs, COTA, and the nurburgring...
Some of them are available as 3rd party mods. COTA, Nurburgring GP, Nordschleife and Laguna Seca (not so good in terms of qualoty) are available. No idea about the rest as I dont know a lot of US tracks. With the Nascar coming up they will have a few more US tracks, but no idea which ones.

Regarding cars you get the ISI content which is really nice and we got more high quality recently. If you like the feel and FFB I can only recommend it. The GT cars got updated recently and it is a real blast. Plus we have now two nice leauges running here at RD plus the club races.

1) Demo,IMO the demo should include the nizzan GT4. The Honda is a fun car but the torque steering from that FWD is brutal. ==> lower the FFB in the controle settings.

2) I use tripple screens: and if you have a Nvidia car: When you setup your "sourround". You have the option to create a bezel corrected resolution. Use that resolution in game. (I do this for every race game I have). Don't use Multiview unless your screens are on a +/-45degree angle.
Depending on your distance to your screens: it should be +/-23 to 29.

My setup is +/- the same as @Davy Vandevenne setup in the video. Davy uses a AMD card.

Future releases and developments:
Development: Click here
Upcomming releases: Click here

Started today with the Ferrari at Silverstone. Going to just do a zillion laps but it is a very hard game this one but it feels great!

The Ferrari challenge saved RF2 on my PC. Blows away anything from ISI imo.

The default content is..... and the setups for them are just awful mostly.
Sure, some people love spending hours playing mechanic-simulator but it's not for everyone. Some of the setups are so far from what you'd do in real life (the LMP for example) it's a real puzzle why they'd made them like that.

The default content is..... and the setups for them are just awful mostly.
Sure, some people love spending hours playing mechanic-simulator but it's not for everyone. Some of the setups are so far from what you'd do in real life (the LMP for example) it's a real puzzle why they'd made them like that.

Why not make a mod yourself with spot on physics and default setup? So you show the world how it should be done and where other modders can learn from? :)
Looking forward to your work! :)

It's a great engine, and fanboys gonna be fanboys for their favourite sims.
But seriously, does anyone think the content and setups is the best thing about RF2? Seriously? :O_o:

Not so much fastest, just driveable would be nice. :)
Take the Howsten.
imo - the setup is way too oversteery. I can't imagine anyone wanting to drive an endurance race with that kind of setup, one second of lost concentration and you'd be a gonner.
I don't expect every setup to be perfect, but in some of the cars it seems like they've almost gone out of the way to make them pretty unpleasant to drive.
Then I got into the Ferrari challenge and honestly (real road and weather aside) it was the first time I realised why everyone says the RF2 engine is so good.
I just think ISI could do better giving their own content that "Wow" factor.

It's a great engine, and fanboys gonna be fanboys for their favourite sims.
But seriously, does anyone think the content and setups is the best thing about RF2? Seriously? :O_o:
Firstly we will all have different things we want from a sim.
If RF2 supplies them it does not make you a "fan boy".

To give you on angle (my personal angle).
I started on codies F1. Really enjoyed it. In wet weather the physics came alive IMO but the rest of the time it was a bit dumbed down for where I personally wanted to go.
I loved the game but its strengths IMO were the graphics and gameplay, what happened outside the physics. The setups are a sham. Aero say 11 at one end and 1at the other (depending on the year 2011 was the one I liked) . However It produced great multiplayer racing and the guys with the most skill were the fastest.
I wanted to explore what I understood to be "Sim Racing" more.
With my trusty Xbox the route is Race Pro. the best sim on the Xbox. Its essentially Race 07 (which uses ISI GMotor2) ported to Xbox.

Now here is where it got different.
On certain cars the default setup was crap. (sound familiar?) eg the top Caterham was mega understeer. So rather than slagging off the game for its default setups I did my homework. Made a better setup and bingo it was great. I drove away from my Codies F1 contemporaries and podiumed online.
From there I was hooked on making setups.

I like taking a setup and making it faster. I'm a mid pack driver in League events and podium challenger in Club events in my strongest cars so certainly no alien.
However at Bathurst 3 months ago an alien was 2 sec slower than me in the BES 1.0 911. I sent him my setup and found 3 sec. That was cool.
This year my team mate (FR 3.5 League )who is ranked higher than me on pace, used my setup at Spa and was immediately 2 sec faster.

Its a technical game. the physics are cutting edge. If you are a non technical person and want to jump in and race "without all this setup do daah" you need a buddy who is good at it. Or grab one from the many posted in that section, or you need another game where its all done for you and the setup changes are kind of ceremonial and ornamental. I hear Grid is good.
But don't ask us who are "into it" to agree with you.

I have had races where my setup was good on tyre life and the hot lappers had smoked me till 1/2 distance then came back to me and I passed them due to tyre wear. Same game, same car just setup and technique.
The car in fact was the one you like the Ferrari 458 Challenge. It is easy to drive but understeers like crazy and nukes front tyres until you master setting it up and driving it well. I can beat aliens in it and that's down to my skill in setting it up well.

There are many other great cars in ISI line up. Last night we had a stunning race in the GT cars. There were blokes getting lapped but not complaining about the duff setups they were working out how to go faster.

One example is a guy who is appr 6 weeks into RF2. He is fast but on a steep learning curve with the setup and the driving technique.
He has picked up a mentor or two to help him study setups. Rather than simply say "thanks this ones nice", he asks questions like "your setup gets much more even tyre wear how did you do that?"
Last night in a quality field he just narrowly missed a podium.

So my friend. in descending order of difficulty.
You can get yourself a reading list and learn how to do it.
You can get a mentor to help you
You can just grab ready made ones.
or pass by this amazing journey and drive Grid Autosport 2.

But I don't agree with you central premise that ISI stock content is worse than the Ferrari 458 C or that the stock setups should all be great out of the box.

BTW ISI content does not include an LMP yet. It was made by a guy here who has gone down the route of creating his own cars from scratch.

Edit
The Howstons are an incredible challenge, I guess 600hp monsters in crude chassis with cross ply tyres have their limits. to race them well you need to be a virtuoso. Ive seen it done.

Last edited:
I like taking a setup and making it faster. I'm a mid pack driver in League events and podium challenger in Club events in my strongest cars so certainly no alien.
However at Bathurst 3 months ago an alien was 2 sec slower than me in the BES 1.0 911. I sent him my setup and found 3 sec. That was cool.
:whistling::whistling:

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 83 12.8%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 59 9.1%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 66 10.2%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 40 6.2%
  • < 5 years