rF2 & Graphics

I've been a big fan of rFactor but the area which lets it down for me in rFactor 2 is the graphics. I entirely accept that the product is beta and still lots to come but when I fire up the GT1 mod for example, I am left with visuals worse that GTR or a sim of that age in comparison to today. I'm not expecting full fat visuals but is there a reason why the textures, more particularly, and the modelling is lacking at this stage? Is the expectation that community modellers and developers will be the ones to really push this area forward? And if so are there mods out there now which take advantage of their skills. I totally appreciate the current strengths of the product in the FFB (excellent IMO) and the direction of the physics.

It's a strange one for me. When i played f1 2011 on xbox, i was blown away by the graphics ...but after a while of playing it, it feels unrealistic and you don't feel like you're there i.e. in the artificial surrounding. my gf, for example, thinks the rfactor 2 graphics aren't as good as f1 2011..but when i see them on full settings, they appear fantastic and i actually feel like i'm there at the track. maybe it's the physics taking over or something but it's already got great potential for me.

In terms of physics, I expect not much changes. In graphics, yes. Mostly its up to the community. If you run the game all maxed out, you can already see that the game looks very realistic.

However, when you start turning down graphics, it shows rather quickly.

At this moment, there are little superb mods out there. Reason is simple, the system keeps changing, and modders almost look like humans, and so they hate doing things twice ;) Most will wait for the game to become final, and then start making the masterpieces. Now, it's just testing. Looking what the options are

The game has high potential in terms of graphics. But it requires a high end PC (to high in my opinion, games as AC and RaceRoom look great as well, and require less PC). I suspect that in a year orso, the game will come to it's full potential, and only then we are able to judge the performance and looks.

So for now, I suggest you enjoy the FFB, and the superb handling of the sim. I like others as well, but the experience of rf2 in terms of FFB and driving fun, is something I have not gotten with any other sim out there now.

I actually think rf2 is looking ok myself taking into consideration it is still in beta that is.

Don`t get me wrong, I`m hoping they will improve a lot too as I`m a big on image quality as I like to take screenies and hopefully learn how to do vids soon also but I think they look pretty good as it stands.

Some really good screens in the screenie thread that back that up I think. :)

Seems to be a personal thing, but for me even the current graphics are more immersive than pCars, for example. And yes, the replays are ugly so far and the screenshots cant compete with the other names, but what matters for me is that during racing, the cockpit view (with the lighting, shadows, etc.) is the best in the genre.

Reactions: tjc
Well, the graphics aren't bad per se. They just can't cope with pCARS - yet.

7288251656_6d6fcfb3bc_z.jpg

7288259080_8c9e3f3b35_z.jpg

I keep wondering if pCARS is running any hidden filters etc. during replays...or if I'm just not noticing the beauty because it's passing by so quickly. Especially in the latter shot.

I keep wondering if pCARS is running any hidden filters etc. during replays...or if I'm just not noticing the beauty because it's passing by so quickly. Especially in the latter shot.
looks great but will mean nothing if the physics aren't up to rfactor's ...and i'm guessing that will be a problem .we'll see;)

looks great but will mean nothing if the physics aren't up to rfactor's ...and i'm guessing that will be a problem .we'll see;)

Well both rFactor 2 and F1 2011 (for example) are fun. I, for one, don't always want to think about tyre temperatures and the likes. rFactor2, Game Stock Car 2012 etc. are immensely fun when friends want to try playing with a wheel for the first time, tho - nothing can beat those games when it comes to that. :)

Seems to be a personal thing, but for me even the current graphics are more immersive than pCars, for example. And yes, the replays are ugly so far and the screenshots cant compete with the other names, but what matters for me is that during racing, the cockpit view (with the lighting, shadows, etc.) is the best in the genre.

I completely agree with this post andy4trance... (apart from the bit about ugly replays lol)

I find rf2 more immersive than pCARS too. Don`t get me wrong, pCARS looks stunning but it does lack a bit immersion and feel imo compared to rf2.

rf2`s graphics will improve anyway I`m sure and as I`ve said, I think they almost look better than other ttles in their own way. :)

I am loving rf2. Was hot lapping the other night against my gf's daughter's fiance (yes, i am that old) and we were having a blast taking the 370z around mills outer loop A. That track has great flow, but I must admit, the textures all look like they are made of felt. :D

Strange thing is, it becomes really immersive whilst driving, but I wouldn't say no to some souped up visuals and enhanced shaders.

This is a video I made of some action in pCars. Some realtime in-game in cockpit and some replay action. I have to say when I'm racing in pCars AND (and that's a HUGE "and") when pCars is set to look it's best you can't tell the difference between realtime and replay if there is a difference at all. pCars has eyecandy for days but you have to experiment to put it in the right light.

rFactor2 by comparison needs
images
but we all know it's a WIP but the physics and FFB are great in rf2. Needs some work also but nowhere near the level the graphics system needs. lol But one thing the really nailed was the nightracing. Man if you haven't tried it yet with a car behind you then you haven't experienced the game at it's best. rF2 really nailed it.

EDIT: How come I don't have Sebring in rFactor2!?!?

The graphics aren't good. I think rF2 proves that in todays technology you just can't have it all. rF2 has dynamic weather, time and track but the graphics are sub par. Look at titles like iracing and soon to be released AC. No weather, dynamic track or dynamic environment at all. Just the same old stale stuff.

So I guess if you want all the great features that rF2 has you're going to have to compromise graphics.

The graphics aren't good. I think rF2 proves that in todays technology you just can't have it all. rF2 has dynamic weather, time and track but the graphics are sub par. Look at titles like iracing and soon to be released AC. No weather, dynamic track or dynamic environment at all. Just the same old stale stuff.

So I guess if you want all the great features that rF2 has you're going to have to compromise graphics.
No offense but that's a cop out. When I peak over at my CPU and GPU status and they both are pretty much yawning I have to believe more can be done. At least that's what my computer is telling me. Game frame rates are jumpy and yet my GPU isn't even flinching. Something else is going on. We all know "optimize, optimize" but I don't see them having a quantum leap graphically in just a few months. What was the reason for not using DX11?

i always wondered if good physics are taking away important resources from graphics. Rf2 set excellent priorities in this sense, cant say that about pcars

No offense but that's a cop out. When I peak over at my CPU and GPU status and they both are pretty much yawning I have to believe more can be done. At least that's what my computer is telling me. Game frame rates are jumpy and yet my GPU isn't even flinching. Something else is going on. We all know "optimize, optimize" but I don't see them having a quantum leap graphically in just a few months. What was the reason for not using DX11?
DX11 in itself makes no radical differences from DX9, and ofcourse we wont see miracles in graphics, but personally I'm happy with the 'physics-graphics' package they offer already today

.. but I must admit, the textures all look like they are made of felt. :D

Strange thing is, it becomes really immersive whilst driving, but I wouldn't say no to some souped up visuals and enhanced shaders.

You nailed it, with the felt thing. It is one of the few games that doesn't make everything around extremely clean and shiny, like a showroom. There is always dust in real life, on the track, on the cars, on the windshields, and rF2 makes a good attept catching that.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back