Review: Wheel Stand Pro Deluxe V2

Header.jpg

The Wheel Stand Pro Deluxe V2 has been around for a while now and has so far proven itself as one of the more popular wheel & pedal mounting solutions so we thought it deserves a closer look.

After buying a wheel and pedal set, often, the first decision we have to make is where to mount everything. Most of us find a desk edge to mount the wheel to and throw the pedals underneath. It doesn't take long however to want to move to the couch where most of us have bigger screens and perhaps a console hooked up. Let's face it, given the chance we would all prefer to enjoy our racing games and sims from a full size racing cockpit! For many of us, however, this just isn't a possibility; racing cockpits or rigs are not only expensive but take up a large amount of space in your home. Aside from using your office desk in front of a PC monitor a wheel stand is the solution. We tested a Wheel Stand Pro Deluxe V2 with the Thrustmaster TX Racing Wheel Ferrari 458 Italia Edition to see how well it worked.

Assembly & installation

The wheel stand only took a few days to arrive here in the UK and was well packaged protecting the contents; a printed sleeved box with carry handle - unexpected with this type of product I thought. All contents were well packaged, all screws and fixings in a separate box along with glossy set-up instructions. The instructions covered all popular racing wheels such as Logitech, Fanatec & Thrustmaster wheels with links (via QR code) to Wheel Stand Pro's YouTube channel demonstrating each step in case you were unsure exactly how to put it all together. The Wheel Stand Pro Deluxe V2 we had was specifically for the TX, however judging by the amount of pre-drilled holes and spare hardware, it seems it's a one size fits most so great if you were planning on changing wheels down the line. All necessary tools were also included to install the wheel and pedals with. First impressions regarding build quality were very good; the stand is quite heavier than you might expect - constructed with high quality thick steel tubing, powder-coated black in parts with rubber sleeves to serve as feet.

IMG_0427.JPG

IMG_0443.JPG

Installing the wheel was really easy, just a few screws and bolts and the wheel was secured to the wheel deck, really solid! The shifter bracket is bolted to the wheel deck also making it very secure and sturdy. Next the shifter was installed, the bracket had pre-drilled holes allowing me to hard mount the shifter. Mounting the pedals was a little more fiddly, but still quite straight forward. Once the pedals were in place, they are secured by two metal bars, essentially pinning the pedals to the frame. Once installed the pedals weren't going anywhere, I couldn't move them no matter how hard I tried! After some quick cable management the installation was complete.

IMG_0448.JPG

IMG_0452.JPG

IMG_0456.JPG

IMG_0455.JPG

Setup & versatility

Obviously with this solution, you’ll need to find something to use as your seat; I used an IKEA recliner chair as it was cheap and has a fairly low and laid back seating position so emulating a racing position as best I could. You could just as well use an office chair or couch, which would do the job just as well.

The wheel stand can be adjusted in every which way to suit your preferred position, this is definitely one of the Wheel Stand Pro Deluxe V2 better features as it really gives you the opportunity to have the wheel exactly how you want it. The only thing that can’t be adjusted is the pedal angle. There are handy quick release handles, like what you would find on a bicycle wheel to adjust the neck, which raises and lowers the overall wheel height, and another at the base of the neck which adjusts the neck angle, bringing the wheel closer or moving it further away. This allows you to lower the wheel all the way down to the pedals, allowing the whole stand to be stored or transported easily. I found myself lowering the wheel when sitting down to play or getting up when finished; a really convenient feature. The wheel deck can also be adjusted via a bolt and nut underneath at the top of the stand neck, this adjusts the angle of the wheel, a feature that even some high-end cockpits lack.

IMG_0466.JPG

IMG_0467.JPG

IMG_0472.JPG

Performance

After a few minutes adjusting the stand to suit my driving position I was ready to test. Looking at the stand, the first thing I thought would be a hindrance is the central upright tube, I imagined I would be forever banging my knees on it, however to my surprise after days of use I didn't notice it once! The wheel felt solid in my hands with very little movement. If I got a little rough with the wheel, when trying to save a spin for example, the wheel stand did start to wobble a little, but this is to be expected, considering the size of the stands footprint.

I expected the stand to move around slightly after a few heavy stomps on the brake pedal, but again I was pleasantly surprised to find it hadn't moved an inch. Due to the hefty steel tubing, the base of the wheel stand is quite heavy helping it remain in place, I tested he stand on a hard laminate floor and on carpet.

The gear shift bracket also works well, considering it’s attached to the wheel deck, it doesn't move around too much and is at a good height to use effectively.

I also mounted a set of Thrustmaster T3PA-Pro pedals to test the 3 pedal configuration as I was concerned the stand may rock from side to side when heel-toeing. Again, the stand impressed and stayed firm throughout!

Pricing & Conclusions

The Wheel Stand Pro Deluxe V2 is available online and currently retails at the following prices:

EUR €125
UK £99
US/CAN $179

With these prices in mind, the Wheel Stand Pro Deluxe V2 is great value for money and an all-round quality piece of kit. I can’t see many other wheel stand solutions beating the Wheel Stand Pro Deluxe V2 for versatility and performance. Added to that the convenience of being able to fold it up and store it out of the way just makes it even better.

If you’re looking for a simple and effective solution to mounting your wheel and pedals and wish to move your racing away from your desk and on to your couch, this stand is a no brainer!

Apologies for resurrecting this thread, but I have a question that is still relevant to those considering buying a Wheelstand Pro V2 - I've seen some reviews (e.g. this one) that suggest is doesn't work so well when use in front of a desk, but is instead better used free-standing in front of a large TV.

My problem is that the only space I will be able to setup the stand is in front of my desk in my small office, so will be just be facing my monitor on my desk (which will probably just be a 24" monitor). The pedal base part should fit under the desk, but I will be limited in how close I can get to the desk because of the vertical bar getting in the way of the desk top (which also has a lip underneath that extends about 4" down - see this post - one of the reasons I can't clamp a wheel direct to the desk).

Does anyone here use a Wheelstand Pro in front of a desk and, if so, do you still find it okay to use like this? Am I likely to have any problems using it with my desk? I'd just like to know if this is going to be practical before I order one.

One thing that I thought might help could be to mount the monitor on a swivel arm (e.g. something like this), so that I could bring the monitor forward when racing.

Upvote 0
Does anyone here use a Wheelstand Pro in front of a desk and, if so, do you still find it okay to use like this?
It's supremely doable, I've raced like that for the past year or so.
There are some niggles though.
The bad part for me is that the wheel-stand simply isn't tall enough. I get that making it taller would probably make it unstable, but with me being 6'3" I ended up with the wheel being in a weird position.
Also, you have to remember that the vertical bar isn't what will collide with your desk.
The base of both the G27 and the T500, when clamped onto the wheel-stand will extend a good deal beyond the plate. Meaning you have to go further back from the desk so as not to pinch cable-connections.
The vertical bar also means that heel/toe is out of the question (or at least it was for me).
Since you can't move your leg across the middle, you end up having to twist your knee around the bar, and then apply brake-pressure....... Definitely not healthy for the joints.

So it's not perfect. But given the space-constraints it's a viable option as long as you keep in mind that there will be compromises.

Upvote 0
It's supremely doable, I've raced like that for the past year or so.
There are some niggles though.
The bad part for me is that the wheel-stand simply isn't tall enough. I get that making it taller would probably make it unstable, but with me being 6'3" I ended up with the wheel being in a weird position.
Also, you have to remember that the vertical bar isn't what will collide with your desk.
The base of both the G27 and the T500, when clamped onto the wheel-stand will extend a good deal beyond the plate. Meaning you have to go further back from the desk so as not to pinch cable-connections.
The vertical bar also means that heel/toe is out of the question (or at least it was for me).
Since you can't move your leg across the middle, you end up having to twist your knee around the bar, and then apply brake-pressure....... Definitely not healthy for the joints.

So it's not perfect. But given the space-constraints it's a viable option as long as you keep in mind that there will be compromises.

Thanks Lars, I'm only 5' 8" so the wheel height may not be so much of an issue. As for getting it close enough, maybe an extendable monitor arm may help to bring the screen close enough for racing?

Upvote 0

Is it also a problem using your right foot for standard braking, or just for heel and toe? BTW I've not read of other Wheelstand Pro users having this issue, but I guess setups (and legs!) are different...

Upvote 0
Is it also a problem using your right foot for standard braking, or just for heel and toe? BTW I've not read of other Wheelstand Pro users having this issue, but I guess setups (and legs!) are different...
Mainly it's a problem with H&T. With standard braking you can just turn your ankle, it's only a problem when you have to use oth pedals simultaneously.
And yes, it may just be me.
But then, I'm getting older and I'm definitely less bendy than I used to be :D

Upvote 0
@Lars Hansen - interestingly, this video seems to imply heel and toe shifting is possible with the WheelStand Pro (even though he's not using the clutch, LOL! I guess he's just trying to show it's possible):
oh, it's possible.
What the video doesn't show is that the angle combined with a heavy brake-pedal puts a lot of strain on your knee.
Or at least, that's been my experience.

Upvote 0
Hey guys,

Perhaps it's a stupid question, so forgive me in advance!
I'm currently using the WSP V2, for my Thrustmaster F430 FFB.

I'm switching to the T300 or T500, so I should change to the WSP Deluxe V2.

But is this really necessary? On the pictures both versions looks identical to me, perhaps I can drill a few different holes myself?

I hope someone can help me out with this..

Upvote 0
Hey guys,

Perhaps it's a stupid question, so forgive me in advance!
I'm currently using the WSP V2, for my Thrustmaster F430 FFB.

I'm switching to the T300 or T500, so I should change to the WSP Deluxe V2.

But is this really necessary? On the pictures both versions looks identical to me, perhaps I can drill a few different holes myself?

I hope someone can help me out with this..
I can't imagine you'd have to change the stand as well.
Mind you, it was a few years ago that I bought mine but I would assume that it's only a matter of where the holes are placed.
There's an entry on eBay with some fairly detailed pics of the T300/500 base-plate, so you can see for yourself if the holes roughly match up and the base-plate dimensions are comparable.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wheel-Sta...tmaster-T300RS-TX-TMX-T150-T500-/192033867816

And even if the holes don't match up, the T500 (IIRC the 300 as well) comes with a clamp so you can use that to mount it on the stand until you figure out a more permanent solution.
But if you're going to buy the wheel anyway, I'd see if it fits your old stand first before investing in anything new.

Upvote 0
Thanks alot for your quick reply.
Looking into detail it looks exactly the same. Only not the hole's.
There's an easy solution for that ofcourse :)

Thanks again, I wanted to sell the WSP together with my old wheel, but will only sell my wheel now :thumbsup:

Upvote 0
Has any one found a decent monitor stand or a way of mounting a monitor with this stand. Which apart from the issues people have highlighted is excellent.

It's easily portable but quite heavy which helps with stability and it is very well built and robust and doesn't look too construction kit so the other half won't lose it when you leave it in the corner.

Have considered the Karaoke style tripod like they use in bars but whilst it would be stable I am not sure it would be ideal.

I had in mind a wide screen monitor possibly as big as 32" but struggling to see how to mount it.

Upvote 0

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 273 15.3%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 183 10.2%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 185 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 135 7.6%
  • < 5 years