Review: CSR Elite vs. Frex SimWHEEL

Pax7

LifeOn2 Development
Guys, I posted this review over at iRacing, but for those of you who are not members there, here you go:
Hello All,

I have had the new Fanatec CSR Elite wheel for about a week now, and used it for 8-10 hours - so I thought I'd write a few words on it, not least to compare it to the Frex SimWHEEL MkI I have had since 2008.

Although the Frex wheel was roughly 4(!) times more expensive than the CSR Elite, the Elite does very well in many aspects compared with the Frex - a good indication on value-for-money in the higher-end price range for wheels.

Bear in mind also that the Frex wheel is the (almost) unmodified Mk1, released more than three years ago, so the wheels are not from the same generation really. However, the general working principle of the new MkII (TypeG) Frex wheel is the same as for the MkI - torque transmission via a ball screw (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ball_screw).

I will also show some measurements I have done on the Elite, which are complemented by measurements on a G25 I also own. Unfortunately the Frex is out of comission since a few months (broken ball screw), so I could not collect any measurements on it.

But, without further ado, let's get started!

1. Build Quality and durability

The casing of the CSR Elite is very solid and feels stable (it also looks good), aside from the rear cover which is made of plastic. But since that seems not to be a load bearing part, it does not matter much.

I do however have some metal chips on the inside of the transparent plastic window, which was there from the factory; see this picture, primarily between the two rightmost vertical metal bars:

DSC_0248.jpg

Full size picture here

The steering wheel itself is made of plastic and does not quite correspond in quality to the casing. The holes for the screws holding it together can be felt on the backside of the wheel, but it does not bother me when using the wheel. The buttons etc. on the wheel seems durable enough.

The wheel is attached to the steering axle with two insex-screws, and the total length from the case to the end of the wheel is rather great. This makes the wheel flex somewhat under load, and I have doubts on whether the two screws will last in the long run holding the wheel firmly on to the steering axle.
As a matter of fact I have already had problems with this, having to tighten the two screws a few times to hold the wheel firmly in place. The torque I have had to put in to tighten the screws have been quite high to make the wheel fit tight (it still flexes a bit, but at least there is no play), and I doubt the construction will last really.

When using the wheel and for instance countering a throw (which can be a quite violent motion as we know), you sometimes can hear the wheel creak a bit, which I suspect comes from this joint between the wheel and the steering axle (I have not confirmed this though).

Compared to this the Frex is considerably more stable. All parts are made of metal and there is very little flexing or anything that seems too weak.

2. Maintenance

It is really too early to tell how maintenance intensive the Elite will be, but since there are adjustment screws for the belt tension we maybe can expect that to need some attention going forward, plus exchange of belts(?). Then the question is how well the wheel will fare without maintenance lubrication, as some types of moving parts like lubrication :) But since I have not disassembled the Elite and had a closer look, it is hard to tell exactly.
The major point on maintenance at this point is the screws, which I mentioned in 1.

The Frex wheel on the other hand I know a great deal of when it comes to maintenance. It must be the king of maintenance amongst wheels without competition; You (way too) regularly need to lubricate the ball screw mechanism, which is some pain - especially if the wheel is mounted in a tight rig. There also might be the need to adjust the alignment of the wheel (at least on the MkI), which is a much greater pain. If you are unlucky you may also have to need to exchange the ball screw (at least on the MkI), which is quite complex. All in all the Frex MkI is much too maintenance intensive, and I expect the Elite to fare better here. As for the Frex MkII, what I have heard "only" the lubrication part is still there; if somebody can give more info on this situation it would be nice :)

3. Usability and Ergonomy

The Elite has a quite intricate adjustment system where you control most settings on the wheel itself. For the PC it would be good to move all that to the PC driver UI, so one need not fiddle with that on the wheel. Initially, before getting used to it, it was a bit cumbersome. Also, it seems every time you power on the wheel you have to set it in PC mode, which is a bit annoying. It would be good to do that once and then leave it.

Not being dependent on the wheel would also be good for people (like me) who want to use real racing car steering wheels instead of the stock one(s).

We have already heard reports on that the buttons are not placed too well on the Elite, and I agree on that. A side effect of this is that since you need to move your hands to reach the buttons, you also may need to quickly look at the wheel to find the buttons, at least in the beginning when you are not used to the wheel. The problem is though that in a dark room, some of the buttons are very hard to see with their dark colours.

Personally I find the diameter of the Elite grip a bit too big, and the plastic material is rather harsh on your hands after some use. The diameter of the wheel is fine, although I would would not have minded one or two centimetres less for an all round wheel. That would also be good for rim force levels, see below for more on that.

The paddles of the Elite are probably the biggest plus of the wheel rim. Their feel is very good, their placement and size too.

The Frex has a not very versatile add on to a real race car rim; it works well with some Sparco and Momo single seater wheels. The paddles are also so small you cannot really go over 27-28 cm to use them. The buttons and paddles have very good feel though and are of high quality. I know that each button on the Frex costs around $7 here in Sweden!

The Frex SW is no nonsense and easy to use; all is done in the PC UI.

4. Cockpit Mounting

The Elite has three M6 holes in the bottom for hard mounting to a rig. Although simple from a design perspective, it is not very versatile. As most want some inclination of the wheel, that needs to be solved via the rig rather than via how the wheel is mounted to the rig. For my rig this unfortunately caused quite some extra work, as I had to spend a number of hours to go get material and to build this custom bracket:

DSC_0250.jpg

It would be nice if Fanatec could provide something like this as a add on. Both Frex and ECCI 7000 offer this type of mounting, and at least the Frex as standard.

There was another problem with the hard mounting, which could have been serious. One of the M6 threads was not good, allowing a bolt only to go part of the way into the hole. Luckily it could go far enough down to secure the bolt though. Picture:

DSC_0249.jpg

Now see next post to continue (I apparently maxed out the post size :) )

Hello All,

I made a short update to this thread over at iRacing:

A few months down the road owning this wheel I thought it could be worthwhile to give a few short comments on it. I will keep it short and focus on the areas where the wheel lacks. If these areas are fixed, this wheel is a winner for sure.

1) The CSR Elite has one major problem I would say, and that is the severe belt slip issue when the FFB changes direction. I did not mention this in my initial review in this thread because the problem was masked by the large FFB deadzone produced by the previous firmware revision.

As some of you might have seen, I have talked about the belt slip problem already, in this thread:

http://members.iracing.com/jforum/posts/list/1836971.page

There, I tried to tighten up one of the belts, but unfortunately the motor axles are so weak they cannot support higher belt tension.
I gave a solution suggestion in this post: http://members.iracing.com/jforum/posts/list/1836971.page#4066408

Hopefully this or some other fix reducing belt slip will be in place in the CSW and Elite MkII wheels.
As the belt slip situation is now, I have a hard time recommending this wheel to FFB purists.
Although as you know I have had some comments regarding FFB and backlash issues on the Frex wheel, Frex should as it is now overall perform better when it comes to these types of issues.

2) The plastic and fragile wheel rim. It creaks and bends a bit too much for my taste when put under load, and the feeling of it is not up to par with the other parts of the wheel.

Upvote 0
This is getting me cold feet for the CSW wheel...

Especially considering i have a T500 which already is a fantastic wheel to have.
It would be cool to see a head to head comparison with the T500 to see how far back it is compared to the Elite/CSW.

Upvote 0
It makes it more difficult to choose a good wheel for the moment...

G25/27: Older wheels, FFB is better on the newer wheels, but good price
T500: Very good wheel, but very big and the paddle shifters are static
CSR-E / CSW: Great FFB, but not very sure about the reliability (a longer known problem with Fanatec)

For the moment I 'm going to stick with my ECCI 6000, it doesn't have FFB but everything else is great about the wheel. Sturdy, great centering force, great paddle shifters and beautiful :)
And if I really want to go back to FFB, I just go to the basement and revamp my old G25.

Upvote 0
I´d buy a CSW, wait a couple of years for the next generation that will be just as good as the above mentioned in every way but for a third of the price and still save money.

One guy owning a ECCI (the one with FFB) said it wasn´t really that much inbetween the T500 and a ECCI.
SRT guy, the tall one said it reminds him of a ECCI as well so the gap is getting narrower.

Next generation will be just as, if not better.
There´s also a point where to much force is unnecessary (Leo Bodnar)

Upvote 0
I'm guessing the T500 must be significantly better than a Fanatec GT3RSV2 then because I thought they were supposed to be quite similar?

I tried out a GT3RS and it felt like a cheap plastic toy compared to the Frex, the ffb and realism was so bad I had to send it back and get another to make sure there was nothing wrong with it. Given that a second-hand Frex wheel I bought for spares was being sold by someone who had upgraded to an ECCI7000 and they said that it was leagues better than the Frex that doesn't seem to stack up?

I also enquired about the Bodnar wheel.. it made the Frex seem cheap :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
I'm guessing the T500 must be significantly better than a Fanatec GT3RSV2 then because I thought they were supposed to be quite similar?

I tried out a GT3RS and it felt like a cheap plastic toy compared to the Frex, the ffb and realism was so bad I had to send it back and get another to make sure there was nothing wrong with it. Given that a second-hand Frex wheel I bought for spares was being sold by someone who had upgraded to an ECCI7000 and they said that it was leagues better than the Frex that doesn't seem to stack up?

I also enquired about the Bodnar wheel.. it made the Frex seem cheap :rolleyes:

Yes it´s night and day if you ask me :) G25/7 and GT3RSV2 (or any other of those models) feels like kids toys compared to the T500.

If you can buy a used ECCI or FREX (Frex according to this thread seems to need alot of attention) then buy it but new i would not advise anyone to do.

the gap is getting smaller as we speak and Fanatec/Logitech/Thrustmaster have way bigger budgets then any of the above mentioned.
It´s just a matter of time :)

Upvote 0
For me, G25...no problems, no upkeep, still performing, now backup wheel
Current.G27...no problems, still no upkeep, performs brillant, great feel, does the job
Next...without a shadow of doubt ECCI 7000...unless something better or close to comes along that holds reliability and longevity

as for CSR/CSW....sorry Mr Fanatec, you lost me with reliability on your wheels...sounds like componet breakdown in its short ownership. I had given the CSW a look in, but hearing the probs with the CSR, and the internals are similar on both wheels, gives doubt in its Longevity, but...I will still keep a close read on the CSW when it arrives.

Upvote 0
We have two Frex wheels already, hence the purchase of a refurbished third for spares. Given their lack of support to existing customers I refuse to buy anything new from them but the Frex wheel can be super reliable after a few mods and a bit of regular greasing. I still am yet to be convinced that the T500 would come anywhere near the feel of it though and Fanatec definitely lost me when I was enquiring about their new high-end stuff and they couldn't be bothered to get back to me.

Upvote 0
As can be seen from the plot, the Elite (with 715 firmware) updates at 100Hz (contrary to what have been claimed), which is considerably lower than the 500Hz of the G25. It would be good if Fanatec could address this at some point, not least just not to have a lower figure than an age old toy wheel :)
The latest firmware has the CSRE running at 400Hz.

Upvote 0
The latest firmware has the CSRE running at 400Hz.
Actually the frequency is since the last FW update 500 Hz also for the CSR Elite.

General misconception that FFB has to be super strong :)
You will only dilute FFB effects or exaggerate them.
We're into simulations, right? Strictly interpreted that means as much as possible shall be lifelike. If you have x Nm of torque on the steering shaft in a specific situation IRL, then there should be x Nm of torque also in the sim. In race cars, x_max is often very big, far bigger than any wheel, bar maybe the Bodnar wheel can reproduce.

Diluting FFB effects with force only happens when you saturate the wheel, i.e. try to have it produce more torque than it is capable of. A wheel with high max torque and high force resolution will typically be able to convey both very subtle and strong forces, and the latter without saturation/clipping.

Upvote 0
We're into simulations, right? Strictly interpreted that means as much as possible shall be lifelike. If you have x Nm of torque on the steering shaft in a specific situation IRL, then there should be x Nm of torque also in the sim. In race cars, x_max is often very big, far bigger than any wheel, bar maybe the Bodnar wheel can reproduce.
Most racecars have power steering today. The forces are not that great except for in maybe GP2 where they use no power steering but go really fast.

Upvote 0
Most racecars have power steering today. The forces are not that great except for in maybe GP2 where they use no power steering but go really fast.
It is enough to watch a Youtube onboard video of any race car to see that the torque generated and the dynamics of it is beyond the capabilities of mass market wheels.

Upvote 0
It is enough to watch a Youtube onboard video of any race car to see that the torque generated and the dynamics of it is beyond the capabilities of mass market wheels.
Not the video´s i´ve seen. Or the wheels i´ve had.

I run 48% of what my wheel is capable right now. Maybe if you are talking very very old vintage cars it might be a super heavy steering but choose a random GT series and you´ll see there´s not that much force taken to turn the wheel.

Now if you hit something with your right or left wheel at high speed, that quick force might not be up to par yet but just general driving is more then enough in wheels from T500 and up. For most cars atleast.

Upvote 0
I have experience with Logitech Driving Force PRO and GT, G25, Fanatec Porsche 911 GT3 V2 and Fanatec CSR.
Logitech wheels are gear driven so they are more direct in their response compared to belt driven Fanatec wheels. It can be both good and bad quality in different situations.

Logitech wheels:
+ direct and quick response to steering movements with minimal "sloppiness" in centre of wheel range.
+ durability
+ complete kit with pedals so value for the money is good. G25/G27 have good pedals but Driving force pedals are quite bad.
+ secure table clamp

- FFB can shake, rattle and roll
- Fanatec wheels have little bit better/smoother FFB
- Little bit noisy
- Driving Force wheel have bad button based gear leavers.

Fanatec 911 GT3 V2:
+ Feel of the FFB. Its got the kind of softness and smoothness which I like. It feels like im driving GT car.
+ alcantara wheel
+ versatile on the fly wheel adjustment

-durability
- small amount sloppiness and unresponsive behaviour in center of the wheel.
- dosent come with pedals but Fanatec has some great package deals with great pedals.
- not very secure/good table clamp.

Fanatec CSR
+ Gear leavers are responsive with firm click.
+ Its between Logitech and 911 GT3 wheels in feel of the FFB. Its feel like you are driving a single seater formula car with stiff suspension. GT3 feels like you are hitting a nail with rubber coated hammer and CSR is like you are using a regular hammer.
Both are good but little bit different. Logitech wheel are even more hard hitting than CSR. :)
+ Little bit quicker response compared to GT 3.
+ I like the general layout and the buttons of the wheel
+ Xbox 360, PS 3 and PC compatible
+ versatile on the fly wheel adjustment

+/- CSR is racing wheel and GT3 is more of grand tourer/ sport car type of a wheel both in feel and look.

- Wheel is not fully covered with rubber and alcantara. Dosent bother me because of my hand positions.
- durability ?
- small amount sloppiness and unresponsive behaviour in center of the wheel.
- dosent come with pedals but Fanatec has some great package deals with great pedals.
- not very secure/good table clamp.

I would choose Logitech for the durability and quick response. I would choose Fanatec if I like smooth and better FFB.

Upvote 0

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back