Jules tragic accident created about 500 kn. And we should let him rest in peace. Just take a look at the figures of the new safety device (picture linked from www.formula1.com):
1515078483104.jpg

Now you might understand, why i am in doubt.

This cannot be right, something got mixed up there. Given the thinkness of those beams I can create carbon fiber structures stronger than those numbers at home with a simple vacuum process in my garage.

In any case, just given Force as a measure isn't enough either. Those are complex things with dynamic properties. I think somebody non-technical oversimplified something in the picture to "not confuse" the public.

Anybody got a link to the regulation wordings? (not that they have to be better)

&$^*@#**@@ FFS formula1.

I just read through the entire technical regulations and it only says that the halo specs are "in the appendix to the technical regulations", which seems to be a separate document, given that the small in-document appendixes have no such thing. Any sources?

If we go the whole season and no one gets smashed in the face with a piece of debri like Massa they will call it a success....
Chances of what happened to Massa happening again is very very rare. But if it ever does, this halo will do absolutely jack all.

If a wheel does manage to come off its tether and strikes the halo has anyone worked out what that would do to the tyre, as in force of tyre, impact on halo and the then forces bouncing off halo possibly into crowd / marshalls..... it is dense.

We? You are a veteran gamer or a veteran real driver? Easy to speak on a playseat.
Motorcycle ignors Health and Safety? Shut up,
please.
Both actually. And I don't own a "playseat". I do own real track bikes mind you.:thumbsup: And I have raced bikes in the past. I still do trackdays.

Last edited:
Halo Specs in the FIA F1 Technical Regulations for 2018 article 17.2
-> https://www.fia.com/file/64927/download/20785?token=XN2hTEj2

The numbers in the picture correlates.
Ah, the tests in question are actually on the attachments for the secondary roll structure (which appears to be the official name for the halo), not the structure itself.
Edit: some sort of dummy structure is used instead of the halo. This is described in the appendix, which is I think what @dud refers to above. That makes the appendix not-very-interesting?!
However, when/where are the properties of the "secondary roll structure" itself actually defined and tested? :O_o::O_o:

17.2 Secondary roll structure attachments tests :
17.2.1 Rubber 3mm thick may be used between the load pads and the roll structure.
17.2.2 A dummy structure, the specification of which may be found in the Appendix to the Technical Regulations, must be used in place of the secondary roll structure.

Yep, the attachment are the weak link of the secondary roll structure system. The numbers apply to all parts of the system like in a chain.
I dont want to imagine an impact hitting the Halo-Frame and its attachments breaking loose.

Yep, the attachment are the weak link of the secondary roll structure system. The numbers apply to all parts of the system like in a chain.
I dont want to imagine an impact hitting the Halo-Frame and its attachments breaking loose.
Well yeah, two failure modes come to mind:
  1. the structure cracks, which could conceivably be worse for the driver than if the halo was absent entirely (but not very likely to be worse given the presumably-huge forces involved in breaking it?)
  2. the structure comes loose, which again could be really bad (but again only worse than nothing if it failed at much lower than expected loadings)
The FIA engineers will doubtless have given a lot of thought to both scenarios.

Lets just ban all forms of motorsport
You always say that. :(
As an argument which, in theory, should make all other debate simply unnecessary.
Your stronghold point I guess.
We? You are a veteran gamer or a veteran real driver? Easy to speak on a playseat.
Motorcycle ignors Health and Safety? Shut up, please.
Oh Edi don't be so harsh on him c'mon...
And yes he's true vet. Racing on pc, racing outside of pc, racing inside of pc... You name it, he's already done it. :cool:

If we go the whole season and no one gets smashed in the face with a piece of debri like Massa they will call it a success....
Chances of what happened to Massa happening again is very very rare. But if it ever does, this halo will do absolutely jack all.

If a wheel does manage to come off its tether and strikes the halo has anyone worked out what that would do to the tyre, as in force of tyre, impact on halo and the then forces bouncing off halo possibly into crowd / marshalls..... it is dense.

This ^^^^ I agree with what you say Joe. :thumbsup:

wow! awesome livery! they really outdone themselves and surprised us all! such innovation, much boldness, very design, wow!

now seriously, Williams car reveal is the most boring and least anticipated from the field, at least while they're still sponsored by Martini.

but I really hope they've improved the car's aerodynamics and it performs better than the last few years. about the drivers tho...

I'm not a fan of the extra Black paint in the livery.
It doesn't show off the lines of the car.

Many have commented on the Halo. None of it good so I won't bother. Interesting though are the comments from a F1 pundit who doesn't believe this is the final livery. He believes the extra black is to make it difficult to really see what's going on with the aero in the lower part and rear end of the car. If so this is very clever. Only Barcelona testing will answer that..

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back