Retro: Gerhard Berger's Monaco drifting

Bram Hengeveld submitted a new blog post:

Retro: Gerhard Berger's Monaco drifting

We've all seen Senna's 1990 lap of Monaco, but this footage demonstrates Ferrari racer Gerhard Berger's incredible car control at the 1995 Monaco outing.

Heading into Race 5, Monaco, Berger was sat fourth in the standings, behind teammate Jean Alesi. With the track being short & low max speeds, teams set their cars up for maximum low speed downforce, with the two Ferraris running new rear wing assemblies and suspension configurations.

Berger was ninth fastest during Thursday practice,...
Continue reading the Original Blog Post

Last edited by a moderator:
Lovely stuff and nice to have it highlighted. We can all do well to see some of the great talent around that is not so often remembered or spoken about.

AHHH the memories of a bygone era, when drivers dictated race results not team bosses. Makes you wonder if Berger's performance at Monaco wasn't the start of the drift craze we enjoy today, awesome car control.

Thanks for this Howard, much appreciated mate.

Ah. Lovely era of racing in general that. Maybe i have gotten old, but most racing of today doesn't entertain me in the same way anymore including F1. Racing is too clean and sterile today. Can't express it in other words, but it's a feeling of the cars being on parade like a product for the sponsors, rather than skillful racing.

There are series however that i think uphold the older spirit of racing however, like the V8 Supercars in Australia and the Formula Ford championships in GB. Tight, gritty racing, with drivers that actually race for the spirit of racing, not as part of a product package.

Also. Regarding the clip... . Oh yeah. DAT FERRARI!

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back