1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Retro Cool @ GoodWood - Monday April 30th 2012

Discussion in 'RACE 07 Racing Club & Leagues' started by Yves Larose, Apr 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yves Larose

Yves Larose
    Premium Member

Car: Retro Cool (Mini Excluded)
    Track: Goodwood
    Weather: Dry
    Games: Retro Pack/Race Injection
    Skinpack: Download
    Custom Skin Fix: Download

19:00 GMT: Practice
    19:30 GMT: Qualification
    19:50 GMT: Warmup
    20:00 GMT: Race (2x16 laps)

Server and teamspeak password: Passwords
    RD Club Rules: Click here

We encourage all our drivers to use Teamspeak 3 (download). Talking directly to your fellow drivers increases the fun and the ability to share information in an easy way. It will improve your driving skills dramatically.

When you have signed up we expect you to be there, if for any reason you can not make it you can sign out 1 hour prior till the practice starts, otherwise you will be reported as a no-show.
    You can not sign up as a maybe, you are there or you are not, we will not reserve grid places for people that might be there, we rather give them to people that will there.

At the moment qualification starts and not all places are taken reserves can go into the server.

To sign-up for this event simply leave a post in the thread below.
    1. Yves Larose
    2. Aaron Channer
    3. Rupe Wilson
    4. Senad Subasic
    5. Peter Bartfai
    6. Marian Zelenka
    7. Brian Wallace
    8. Ross Garland
    9. Victor Zaporozhets
    10. Jorge Alves
    11. -
    12. -
    13. -
    14. -
    15. -
    16. -
    17. -
    18. -
    19. -
    20. -
    21. -
    22. -
    23. -
    24. -
    25. -
  2. :D Yes please.
  3. Rupe Wilson

Rupe Wilson
    Keep Yoga real Premium Member

i like the new monday night slot ... it get the week of to a good start..

Sign me up please..
  4. Yves Larose

Yves Larose
    Premium Member

we moved the Retro event on Monday caused on Thursday slot it was clashing with the GTL club event and we thought that it would benefit but event if they were on different days.
  5. I'm not really up to speed on the Retro cars. Is the Mini too fast or too slow?
  6. Marcel vd Aa

Marcel vd Aa
    AC Paint Guru

Count me in...but on the subject of the mini, why is it excluded?
  7. Mark Gormley

Mark Gormley
    #14 | The Silent Killer Premium Member

I think its power to weight ratio is too high compared to the other cars in the class. When we raced at Fuji, even with the Mini's lack of power and the long straights which should have disadvantaged it, they were still unbeatable.
  8. Yves Larose

Yves Larose
    Premium Member

the mini is excluded basically cause the car is not balanced compare to the other cars in the class and it causes frustrations for the person who drives the mini on certain track as while they are faster in overall lap time the moment they hit a long straight most of the other cars in the class eat them on the straight. for exemple at Fuji on the start/finish straight the Amazon wasn't needing the draft to blast thru the mini and even when the Amazon was on the rev limiter it was still pulling away from the mini. so i prefer to run the mini alone from time to time and exclude it from the other cars in the class.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Marcel vd Aa

Marcel vd Aa
    AC Paint Guru

Ok, but wasn't that the David and Goliath effect as seen on numerous races where the mini could beat american muscle cars in corners but on the straight they were significantly slower? The way you described it, it sounds as it should be.
  10. Yep, the Mini was the 'Giant Killer'. The same is seen in the GTL club with the Mini burning through the corners but losing out on the straight, just like real life. I think it makes things more interesting personally.

That said, there aren't exactly loads of cars in the Retro pack, so excluding the Mini also means an extra event option. That's fine by me.
  11. Marcel vd Aa

Marcel vd Aa
    AC Paint Guru

I've got nothing against separate Mini events, in fact i'm looking forward to doing one soon. But when people get frustrated by how the mini compares to the rest of the cars, it seems a bit odd to me :)
  12. Me too, to be honest. Why choose the car in the first place if you don't like how it compares?
  13. Mark Gormley

Mark Gormley
    #14 | The Silent Killer Premium Member

To my mInd it's just that it's too fast. The Amazon in that video is driven by none other than Mr. Larose, so when an average driver such as I can race with him you have to take it as an indication of the cars superiority. And Fuji is a power circuit.
  14. Yet Yves says that during that very race Mini drivers were 'frustrated' at being blown away by the bigger cars on every straight. So my original question still stands... is the Mini too fast or too slow? The answer is actually neither, because it's supposed to work as it is now. The Mini is fast on corners, the other cars are fast on the straights. The end result is a measure of balance which tips slightly in either direction based on the track being used at the time.

But it's fine. If people are unable to prevent themselves picking the Mini even if it's low top speed frustrates them, then I guess it has to be disallowed. I just think it's a shame, that's all.
  15. I'll be there this time.

Shame about the Mini, I am a fan. Of the GTL version at least, still haven't even started the Retro pack :redface:
  16. It was always obvious it would happen during that race with such a long straight. I picked the mini in that race knowing this. To be honest though, that's where all the fun was, flip flopping around the track due to varying corner and straight speeds.
    Like you say though, if peeps pick this car knowing that, and then moan, then fair enough. I don't mind whether I drive a volvo, bmw or mini. Mini is fun, but so are the others in their own way.
    • Like Like x 2
  17. Marcel vd Aa

Marcel vd Aa
    AC Paint Guru

Just did a little comparison between the Mini and the Amazon on Goodwood... In both cars I was able to do 1:30 low's but the difference is huge. The Mini is clearly slower on the straights but can tackle corners at almost insane speeds while the Amazone is faster on the straights and way slower in the corners. Just like I remember from the old BTCC races where the Mini had to fight off big cars like the Mustang, Jags and Cortina's. So if on the right track I think it can work...
  18. Yves Larose

Yves Larose
    Premium Member

@Ross Garland to answer your question the mini is faster no matter the track, what you see in the video is the leveling effect of driving and setup skills between 2 drivers. the best way to see if 2 cars have matching performance is for a driver that can drive both cars equally in term of driving skills and setup skills.
  19. This track has pretty many right turns...the left tires will be distroied.
  20. Yves Larose

Yves Larose
    Premium Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.