Retro: British Motorsport Legend Barry Sheene

RaceDepartment

Administrator
Staff
Tristan Clark submitted a new blog post:

Retro: British Motorsport Legend Barry Sheene

Today’s retro post is based on one of the most iconic figures in motorsport history, the great Barry Sheene. The British legend had a much celebrated career in motorcycle racing before he sadly lost his battle with cancer in 2003.

Sheene was born in London on the 11th of September 1950. His love for all things mechanical was present at an early age, where he was allowed to park the Rolls Royces and Jaguars at the Royal College of Surgeons where his father was employed as an engineer....
Continue reading the Original Blog Post

Last edited by a moderator:
Motorsport from an era when the drivers had balls so big, they could hardly sit on the bike properly.

Fantastic pilot and I am privileged to be able to say I have seen him racing the Dutch TT with my own eyes in the early 80s.

Last edited:
Barry Sheene was hugely popular in Australia in later years, and sadly missed here. Apart from his brilliant motorsports career, his commentary skills and personality with the Australian motorsports will never be repeated.

I was at the Moto GP at Phillip Island after he passed away.
In his honour a rider did a lap of the track on his favourite classic race bike.
With say 100,000 people there you could only here the wind in the trees as people watched in silence.
It was moving.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 128 8.3%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 163 10.6%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 225 14.6%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 425 27.5%
  • 100% offline racing